Nut Yard - Bobbers Mill & Whitemoor

The only person I knew who was from Bobbers Mill was a guy called Lindsey Nix. My brother also was in a flat there for a while.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses b

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.     The Cottage in the photo fits the map, w

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jil

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have found a newspaper clipping from 1936 stating that Whitemoor house had been purchased by shipstones 12 years earlier and they were wanting to turn it into a ‘modern hotel’. With this on mind I still believe that the original house, or part of it, is what is now the Whitemoor pub. Shame there’s no photos of it back in the day to confirm it one way or another. 

8 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I believe @letsavagoohas the name Nix in his family and that would be the right area.

Jill is correct. Indeed in my wife’s family there were Nix’s but there is no known connection with a Lindsay Nix.

I had a look at the Whitemoor building and agree that part of it may be the original Whitemoor House. In my childhood, it looked very 1930s in appearance but is less so now. Shipstones obviously gave the facade a revamp to make it look a bit Art Deco.  I have never seen a photo of the original house but there may be some in the Shipstones archives...whoever holds those.

On 3/11/2024 at 9:30 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Welcome to Nottstalgia Michace29. I assume you've read all the earlier posts in this thread and you've identified the correct building.

If you look back starting at June 28th  2019, you'll see there's potential for confusion regarding Whitemoor House, Whitemoor Cottage,  and Whitemoor Lodge, which were different places but close to each other.

Definitely Whitemoor House. They owned or managed the Daybrook Bleach Works, so obviously had a fair bit of money back in the day. I've also found newspaper articles showing that they sold eggs and ducks and loaned their boar for services (whatever that may be!!), etc from Whitemoor House. 

In the black and white picture above,  on the right hand side is a row of houses. It's the first time I have seen a picture of these.  My friend's aunt Daisy lived in one and I remember visiting her. I believe they were pit houses.

5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I had a look at the Whitemoor building and agree that part of it may be the original Whitemoor House. In my childhood, it looked very 1930s in appearance but is less so now. Shipstones obviously gave the facade a revamp to make it look a bit Art Deco.  I have never seen a photo of the original house but there may be some in the Shipstones archives...whoever holds those.

When you look at the photo that Stuart has shared you can see that it is almost certainly the same building. The relative that lived there is listed in the 1888 City and County Directory as living there until it was sold in 1932.

• Upvote 1

On the other side of Nuthall Road stood Table Row. I was at school with a boy whose family lived there. They were nice old cottages but, alas, they are no more.

Katyjay,

The muli-story terraced houses you have described were miners' working Newcastle Pit (Duke of) accomodation situated on Whitemoor Avenue. Similar housing for miner's working Newcastle Pit were rows of cottages on the left hand side of Basford Road (ex High Street).

There is a row of brick-built cottages on Nuthall Road opposite Didcot Drive that were, apparently, occupied by mine deputies or similar. Unfortunately, although still extant, some of the the facades have change over the years. I remember the fronts of those cottages and the front doors were well cared for with polished brass door furniture.

• Upvote 1

Alpha. I remember them as 3 storey houses, after reading your post above, I zoomed in on the photo and can see they were 3 storey. 

The Whitemoor pub has always been very pleasant, even when it changed its name briefly to the Snooty Fox. Everyone ignored that aberration and continued to call it the Whitemoor.

Thinking back to Bobbers Mill I seem to remember that there was a footpath from Bobbers Mill which went by Linley and Linley and then by the side of the river Leen, past some pigeon lofts (back when pigeon racing was a big deal!) and finally emerging on Gauntly Street, Hyson Green. I wonder if the path is still there? Incidentallly when we were kids we used to call Linley and Linley the Big Kettle because there was always steam coming out of it!

I remember the Linley fire around 1962. Flames engulfed the chimney and I watched in fascination from a bedroom window at the rear of our house. I don't think it was an isolated incident, either.

The area @Marrowmanrefers to has been heavily redeveloped and more is planned in the near future.  It all looks very different now but we have our memories.

22 minutes ago, Marrowman said:

Thinking back to Bobbers Mill I seem to remember that there was a footpath from Bobbers Mill which went by Linley and Linley and then by the side of the river Leen, past some pigeon lofts (back when pigeon racing was a big deal!) and finally emerging on Gauntly Street, Hyson Green. I wonder if the path is still there?

I didn't know the area but looking on Google Maps (the link below), the path doesn't seem to still be there.

Gauntley Street is top/right and the only path coming away from it can be seen going straight through the wasteland and over the railway line on a footbridge. Looking along the Leen further south there's housing (Meadow Brown Road) where I assume your path would have gone.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/w5tPS7yJLyxGL3bw6

I knew a number of children who lived on Gauntley Street. They were pupils at Berridge. The houses they lived in are long gone. I don't think there is any residential property on Gauntley Street these days.

17 hours ago, Marrowman said:

Thinking back to Bobbers Mill I seem to remember that there was a footpath from Bobbers Mill which went by Linley and Linley and then by the side of the river Leen, past some pigeon lofts (back when pigeon racing was a big deal!) and finally emerging on Gauntly Street, Hyson Green.

I recall that path very well. I used to walk through there on my way home from Noel Street swimming baths. When I was about 13 or so 2 lads about my age attacked me for no reason there hitting me with rubber torches of all things. I fought back and they ran off one way and me the other. Few bumps but no harm. 
Some years ago I got off the tram near the Valve Shop and tried to find that path again. I got lost in the new estate and came out near Kamakasi Island.