photobucket or kick the bucket

This is the first go at putting a picture in a post. I read the instructions on the thread about putting pictures in but the format of photobucket did no seem to match. Anyway, here goes!

I have just one picture in photobucket. A lighthouse called Muckle Flugga.

Slide%209966_zpspg9jhyv0.jpg

I copied and pasted the URL.

This is quite exciting.

• Upvote 6

Done it!!

Now for another glass of the red!

I chose this photo for the first one to put on Nottstalgia because it is about perseverance. We booked months in advance to go on a boat trip from the island of Yell, around Unst and around the Muckle Flugga rock. At the last minute it was cancelled. We got our money back. Our son said we should get the ferry over to Unst then drive up to the RSPB reserve at Herman Ness to see the lighthouse from there. We did it and got the photo. Our son made the point that the photos would be better as we would be on firm ground not in a boat on a rough sea. He was right. This is one of the photos of the most northerly point of the British Isles. The bird reserve was quite exciting as we were dive bombed by Skuas!

• Upvote 2

A word of advice BilboroughShirley.... if you are taking photos direct from your camera, make sure you resize the images before you put them on Photobucket - otherwise you will very quickly run out of space on Photobucket.

I've looked at the one you posted and it seems to be more than 3,000 pixels wide; you need to aim for a maximum of around 800.

• Upvote 1

#5 Cliff Ton, many thanks for your advice. I will look again at photobucket. The only photos that I will put onto photobucket will be for Nottstalgia. I store all my files on hard drives at home, with backups. The next thing I have to get sorted is scanning old black and white photos to put on photobucket and getting a photo into my posts instead of the grey outline. I will check sizes when I do this. This is all very exciting new stuff for me and it is so good to have the feedback from other Nottstalgians. A great team!

• Upvote 6

Just a little cautionary tale - or it could be that I'm particularly dim. I recently registered a Flickr account, and mistakenly uploaded all my photographs, RAW and jpegs. I thought it was taking a long time - started around 9pm and was still going strong when I went to bed at midnight - and then received warning emails from my ISP that I had exceeded my monthly limit and would be charged. When I realised what I had done I checked the file size and found that it was 53GB!

#9 Thanks for the advice ValuerJim. I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. So far I have just uploaded the one photo to Photobucket and I am only putting on there photos or scans to post on here. Items will be sent to Photobucket one at a time! To get a picture on my posts I will practice with this one first when I have got it edited to the correct size as CliffTon advised. I do not save any photos or documents in "the cloud" as I am wary of hackers and of failures of the systems.

My next task is to edit photo size!

Done it! This is a genuine photo and I am on there. It was taken on holiday in the New Forest. My husband asked me to go and pose beside the tree in the photo. I posed very carefully. When the slides came back from processing and I saw this I asked where I was on the photo. My husband said that he asked me to pose by the tree to get an idea of scale. It is a Redwood and they are big. I doubt that I would ever make it as a model!! I am the tiny person to the left of the tree trunk.

The next step is to get this into the little photo frame on my posts. This is fun!

• Upvote 1

To get the picture onto my post I used paint to edit again and made the picture small and used a GIF file but this has been copied in off my hard drive as the profile part of this site would not accept it from Photobucket. I hope this is OK in terms of memory use. The file size for this GIF file says 3 KB.