150th Anniversary.

The Nottingham Post has a series of 'flashbacks' regarding Nottingham Forest's 150th Anniversary. There's some great reading and memories. It was interesting to learn that Billy Davies hasn't found work since being sacked by Forest in March 2014.

Below is the aforementioned article.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/nottingham-forest-150?page=1&listName=channelActivity&orderByOption=

• Upvote 2

Very interesting, especially the early history. The first team to wear red, inspired by Garibaldi. They must have looked dapper, playing in their red caps with tassels!

After they moved grounds from the Meadows across the river, the street where I lived in as a kid was built on the plot.

I was at the City Ground the day that Everton's Brian Labone axed Zigger Zagger, did not even get a free kick (He would have been sent off these days) I thought they were heading for a replay at Goodison but Ian Storey-Moores hat trick got them through to the semi at Hillsboro vs Spurs. As usual "Noddy" Hinton never got his shorts dirty.

I must have been on cloud nine as me and some mates walked all the way back to Huntingdon Street, reliving what we had just seen, to get the bus home

I remember queing all night along the wall at the back of the Trent End stand to get my ticket for the semi. Jimmy Greaves scored

what must have been one of the jamiest goals of his life, I am sure he mishit the shot that beat Grummitt for the first goal.

Alas the double was not to be but that team was one of Forest's best ever

• Upvote 3

Agree with all you say OZ,.........about Labone and Joe Baker etc,.....just about the most exciting (to watch) Forest team ever,great days.......alot of Jimmy Greaves goals looked as if they were mis-hits,but the man had great positional sense,always in the right place at the right time along with Alan Gilzean...........

I agree benjamin1945, Jimmy Greaves was a goal poacher extraordinaire and it is good to hear that he may be making a public appearance in a few days following continued recovery from his stoke.

I still think he mishit the shot but that may have been looking through Garibaldi tinted glasses, but no doubt about the four he scored for Chelsea against the Reds in 60/61? I was too young to be biased then. Nevertheless I wish him well in his recovery.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

They marched from the Clinton Arms to the City ground to celebrate Forest 150 years...........listened on radio Nottingham to the match v Brentford,Forest were awful 0-3..............i'd say 'Sack the Manager'....but we ain't got one...........come on Forest get sorted..........

We still persist with this ridiculous habit of losing to the crap teams, and play well against the better sides .

Get to grips Forest, quickly or we'll be passed on the way down by Nigel and Burton Albion coming up.

That would be ironic.

Just read that fawaz sacked the Manager because he feared relegation,................so having NO manager makes it better does it?..........What !!!!

• Upvote 1

The current goings on beggar belief.

• Upvote 1

Just read that fawaz sacked the Manager because he feared relegation,................so having NO manager makes it better does it?..........What !!!!

Exactly.

Although not particularly a fan of Dougie Freedman's 'style' of football, I see no good reason to have sacked him at the point the owner did as opposed to waiting until the end of the season. It has left Forest, by all accounts, flailing around like a rudderless ship. With respect to the caretaker boss he doesn't appear to be suitable to have taken the position whilst his assistant, Reid's appointment as temporary coach appears to have no basis in qualifications or experience. With the latter it almost appears that they wanted to find him a useful job to do as they have singularly failed to get him back to match fitness over a long period of time and, in reality, his career appears well over and has done for a long time. Only the club appear to think otherwise.

Regarding the 150th celebrations, perhaps it's indicative that they appear muted. I'm not full informed on all things Forest but all I have managed to note is an expensive, overpriced dinner which even some ex players are protesting about and a walk from the original Clinton Arms (The Orange Tree on Shakespeare Street) to the ground last Saturday matchday for another embarrassing afternoon at the City Ground.

It's pretty sad stuff and the general situation is no way to celebrate a grand occasion like a 150th birthday. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

• Upvote 3

The problem with owners is that because they own something they think they are therefore qualified to run it. If ever that logic was false it is in the case of the current Forest ownership. Brian Clough once said that if you sack a manager you appointed then you should leave as well.

Do you need help packing Mr Al-Hasawi?

So sad to see how low Forest are these days, maybe not in the table but certainly in spirit. I guess I was born at the wrong time being just the right age to start supporting when Clough arrived. My first taste of football was glory. But its a long way down.

• Upvote 1

The Storey-Moore hat trick v Everton will always be my greatest game ever and I went all over Europe as well ; but the hat trick sticks right up there as my No 1. If the King had come back we would have won the cup that year

• Upvote 2

Nottingham Forest are a great football club who've won many honours, including back to back European Cups. At the moment we're going through a bad spell but this won't last forever. True supporters back the team through the bad times as well as the good. We've had some real bad luck this season with the injured players, transfer embargo and poor leadership from Fawaz Al-Hasawi. This season has been a big disappointment for the Forest fans but, like the phoenix rising from the ashes, Forest will come again next season and take themselves and their fans into the Premier League. Keep the faith.

Phew, I feel better now. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Whilst all the fuss about the 150th anniversary is going on does anyone remember what, if anything, happened for the 100th anniversary. As an early teenage Reds fan then I cannot remember anything special happening or maybe just not on my radar in those days. Any of you Forest fans have any memories?

I was there nnfc,and clearly remember the ball hitting the referee on the foot causing Forest to lose possession in the centre circle,leading to their goal.

Hi nnsc and benjamin1945, thanks for your responses. It is really strange how memory works, now I have seen the programme cover I do recall the match but unlike benjamin I have no clear memories of the game. I guess that as it was a "friendly" there was nothing riding on it so it did not really register with me. Bugga, now you've got me trying to think of the team.

• Upvote 1

OZ.............Its the only flash ofmemory i have of the match........and my memory must be playing tricks cos i thought it was a inter-fairs cup game ?

Had to check it............was i there? or was it 61/62 season when Forest played them in the Inter-city ? losing 1-5 at home,and Cobb was the scorer for the Reds,

i'm confused now............good name for a Forest player..............

• Upvote 1

Benjamin,

You were right Forest played Valencia in the Inter Cities Fairs cup in 61/62 and did indeed loose 5-1 at home. It was very disappointing in which I think was their first foray into Europe.

They played Eintracht Frankfurt in the first round of the 67/68 at home and won 4-0 but went out to FC Zurich? on the away goals rule in the second round.

Somewhere among the memorabilia I have the programs for the 67/68 home games but a move half way round the world and another half way across OZ makes putting my hands on them a little difficult. One day when I am looking for something else they will turn up but if I go looking for them I am sure I will never find them.

So I guess the centenary game was just a friendly?

• Upvote 2