I'm surprised at the lack of posts about one of Nottinghams biggest employers, Raliegh industries, A world famous name and major player in the Tour de France, Milk race and most of the classics in years gone by, or have I not looked through all the posts yet?

Roger

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a photo of me on my one and only bicycle. It's on Grainger Street and behind me is the Railway & General office entrance on Meadow Lane.

Tompa, the first thing that I noticed about your post (#14) was how you refered to your foster father as 'Mr Joseph (Joe) Coxon' which seemed rather correct and formal. I then read your post (#21), '.

This young lad at Raleigh was putting a bike together and couldn't find his spanner. He says to his mate, ' ay yer gorra spanner worral fit this nut? ' His mate says ' yo ignorant bogger, yer shunt sa

My part time job whilst still at Claremont, was at the local Co op shop, NCS 94 store Egypt Rd New Basford, where one of the older employees (17!) was a lad called Alan Draper, who lived in Radford, came to work on a Raliegh moped, and i recall the rest of the male members of his family worked at Raliegh, where i believe he also went to. Ring any bells with Radfordians?

I worked at Raleigh from Jan 62 to July 67. I was in the Gradual Payments dept, in the computer room. I was a punch card operator there. My first 3 months were in the training school on Lenton Blvd, then down to Triumph Rd for the rest of the time. Anyone else work there?

Kath

• Like 1

My cousin, Howard Reddish used to work for Raliegh Cycles years ago.

I worked there in about 94-95 as a welder in its declining years, and a sorry place it was too, even then they were importing far eastern frames at some stupidly low price but refused to lower the prices on their bikes, I guess when greed started to take over sales dropped off, other companies were buying frames from the same far eastern manufactures but they were passing the savings on to the customer and as history has shown us they are still in business whilst the graspers at the Raleigh are only left with a badge.

Roger

...have just finished re-reading `Saturday night and Sunday morning.' What brilliant descriptions of Raleigh are to be found there. I am starting to read everything Silitoe wrote,-a grossly underestimated writer. abouttime

Stan,

I've tried to send you a PM re SN&SM, seemingly to no avail.

If/when the facility is restored, kindly post me your full address details so I can Airmail the DVD......

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 year later...
...have just finished re-reading `Saturday night and Sunday morning.' What brilliant descriptions of Raleigh are to be found there. I am starting to read everything Silitoe wrote,-a grossly underestimated writer. abouttime

I'd urge you to read The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and other short stories, Stan.

Quite possibly the finest set of short stories I've ever read.

• 3 years later...

A Fun Filled Day of Pedalling For All The Family The University of Nottinghamwelcomes you to the former Raleigh and Sturmey Acher site, which is now the Jubilee Campus. There will be film showings, vintage bike exhibitions, art and craft activities, pedal powered water pistols, green technology demos, cycle polo and much much more. Youngsters will be able to ’bling up their bike’ and everyone can enjoy a smoothie - as long as you pedal to make it! We’re also proud to present a newly commissioned play - A Lifetime Guarantee - by local writer Andy Barrett which will be shown ar 12noon and 3pm. There is some parking available on site but please try to come by bike or public transport (number 28 bus).

Date: 16 Jun 2012 to 16 Jun 2012 Starts at: 11:00 Ends at: 16:00 Cost: FREE Location Jubilee Campus

Wollaton Road

NG8 1BB

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cas/raleigh-project/the-raleigh-project.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

raleigh-sbdu-builders4.jpg

Thought some ex Raleigh workers or cyclists would like to see this pic of the 1974 Raleigh racing team

Rog

Forgot to add, picture taken from Classic lightweight website

• Upvote 1

I had an uncle worked in the polishing shop, and a cousin worked in wheel assembly.

Funny little story here in oz, I visited a remote country bush town in the middle of nowhere and they had a small machinery museum.

Went and had a browse as I often do to these places to look at the bygone machinery they used to use.

Anyway tucked away in a corner was a rusty old black Raleigh "sit up and beg" style push bike with the rod brakes and Sturmey Archer 3 speed rear hub.

The little gear change chain was hanging out from the hub but no sign of the cable, or the handlebar lever.

Anyway I was taking an interest explaining to a mate that I grew up where they were made, and one of the volunteer locals sidles up and says he overheard me and did I know what the little chain on the rear hub was for ?

When I explained he was over the moon and said they would change the placard on it to say it was a 3 speed cycle !

Another experience of similar nature, I worked in the middle east for a short while in the early 80's, and our camp gofer, a young Pakistani lad had as his prize possession, the same bike only it was in immaculate condition, and he washed and polished it daily.

He used to sleep with it at his side on his bedroll just outside our camp compound !

RGR

Bought my lad one of those from Reids Cycles in Netherfield, I was a mate of Mick Robinson, Reidy's partner at the time so got a real good deal Lol!

I was in finishing shop for three years as a cycle assembler. I made the big mistake of telling one of my lads playmates words to that effect and then get them queueing up for my (free) services.

I've had all sorts of bikes here to fix, although it's usually just punctures, there has been the odd challenge too, including a buckled wheel that needed 3 spokes replacing. I wouldn't have minded too much but it entailed me to make three journeys to a cycle shop (Had to go three times as I'd got the wrong spokes first time and on reassembly I discovered there was a hole in the inner tube!) !) purchasing said spokes and new tube, fitting them , rebuilding and straightening out the wheel , refitting tyre and tube and putting the lot back together and resetting the brakes. What did the kids parents do in way of reccompence ?

Nothing , diddly squat, nada, zilch, f*** all !!!

When you take my time and effort into concideration and what they'd have charged at the cycle shop, you could say i was at least 20 quid out of pocket!