Always the case Ian, lost count the amount of cycles I've set up for folk and the amount of spare parts I've fitted from my cycle spares bin to other peoples bikes, yet when i want something doing or some help with something I end up paying top dollar must have prat wrote on me forehead

Rog

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a photo of me on my one and only bicycle. It's on Grainger Street and behind me is the Railway & General office entrance on Meadow Lane.

Tompa, the first thing that I noticed about your post (#14) was how you refered to your foster father as 'Mr Joseph (Joe) Coxon' which seemed rather correct and formal. I then read your post (#21), '.

This young lad at Raleigh was putting a bike together and couldn't find his spanner. He says to his mate, ' ay yer gorra spanner worral fit this nut? ' His mate says ' yo ignorant bogger, yer shunt sa

We spent Christmas in Edinburgh as we do most Christmas's, now back in a nice warm quarry, thanks for caring

Rog

You could also search Raleigh?

Anyone want to see my chopper?

Don't get it out in this cold weather...............................

We spent Christmas in Edinburgh as we do most Christmas's, now back in a nice warm quarry

I didn't make it this time. How was Reekie this time, Rog? Hope you weren't 'loony dooking'? :)

GGTTH

Had a great time as usual Stu, walked to Porty one day,about 3 miles from our friends place, sat with the homeless one day buying them cups of hot chocolate and sausage rolls, (well it's better than giving them money) also a train ride over the Forth rail bridge to Perth, always wanted to go over the Bridge now I've done it, a visit to the Elephant cafe (birthplace of Harry Potter) It's where JK Rowling first started to write the Potter books, they do serve nice coffee as well

Rog

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In 1960 Raleigh decided to risk it's reputation by selling a scooter.It contracted with the Italian Bianchi company of Milan.The 78cc Orsetto scooter was market as the "Raleigh Roma" in the UK.The scooter sold till 1964.Bianchi-Orsetto-61.jpg

The guy who lived next door worked at Raleigh,and had a weird push bike with an engine on the wheel. Any one remember these. Also whilst everyone is commenting on their `Choppers' any one remember the chap who saved Raleigh (never got a penny for the concept).

Raleigh Chopper designer dies aged 85Alan Oakley drew initial design for revolutionary bicycle on back of envelope while flying from US to UK

Press Association

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 20 May 2012 23.41 BST

Alan Oakley with a Raleigh bike. The designer of the Raleigh Chopper has died of cancer aged 85. Photograph: Press Association

The designer who created the revolutionary Raleigh Chopper bicycle, which became a symbol of the 1970s, has died of cancer aged 85.

Alan Oakley, who drew the initial design for the Chopper on the back of an envelope while flying back from the United States in 1967, died in Nottingham on Friday.

His wife Karen confirmed that her husband had died at their home in the Wollaton area of the city, nine months after being diagnosed with oesophageal cancer.

mmo153b.jpg1955teagle_coopbike2.jpg?w=470&h=5002simplex_pier.jpgsolex-bardot.jpg

Sounded like an angry wasp when they were coming down the road.

Seem to remember one with the little 2 stroke engine in front of teh handlebars but could not find a picture.

The top advert with the woman is for a Raleigh product.

The bottom picture with Brigitte is just for fun!

There were 2 types,Taxi Ray, 1 sat on top of the rear wheel,the other was built into the wheel like a Sturmey Archer gear.

Whilst here I had a laugh at the photo of the Raleigh team.

We have hordes of cyclists in very tight fitting Lycra (don`t mind the ladies,but the men are a bit off putting !)

They have Amazing helmets and lovely shoes with little studs (oooohhhh!)

Finally just heard a pair as they zoomed past discussing what type of gloves look best.... oooohhh you are awful...

Thanks Trevor S I noted you comment "The top advert with the woman is for a Raleigh product."

"The bottom picture with Brigitte is just for fun!"

but I thought it was the top lady demonstrating the bottom (see photo) Also don`t you think Miss Bardot looks a little `chunky' in that photo,(or is my memory playing tricks again)

She looks as though she is going to seed, doesn't she? Not like you, I and others would remember her from the 50s.

As John Lennon wrote in his memoirs after meeting her in 68..."I was on acid and she was on her way out".

The above photo was taken a couple of years before she retired from films.

The motor built into the wheel was a Cyclemaster. My dad had one !

Just googled it and there are heaps of images but could not copy any to post for some reason.

Cyclemaster was the first form of "motorised" transport my Dad had after the war. Used to ride from Comyn Street to work on Shakespeare Street every day, and even with the assistance of the motor, it always seemed a struggle to get up Gt Freeman Street. Good job he didn't have to use it around Holmfirth !

Also whilst everyone is commenting on their `Choppers' any one remember the chap who saved Raleigh (never got a penny for the concept).

Yes, it was mentioned on here at the time of his passing. But where you've got the notion that he never got a penny from is beyond me ! Apart from the fact that he pinched the idea from bicycles of extremely coincidentally similar design readily on sale in America, we were told the following on induction :-

Always use the ' company suggestion boxes' as you could earn a fortune for the simplest of ideas, " so and so" (can't remember the name , sorry) got thirteen hundred quid ( a lot of money in '77) for his idea of replacing a metal washer with a fabric one, and as for the fellow who 'invented' the "Chopper"

The rest was silence leaving you to your dreams of a nice retirement home in Skeggy in 50 years time

Thought this interesting,Beefy:

Ogle Design claim to have designed the Chopper for Raleigh. They actually only produced concept art for the Raleigh design department headed by Alan Oakley; only the seat and spoke protector were taken up. The final design of the Chopper was submitted by Oakley's department to management and production started in 1968.[6] Raleigh built a copy of the chopper-like Schwinn Sting-Ray they called the Rodeo, which was launched in the United States in 1966. It was not a success, but its design clearly was a forerunner of the Chopper.[citation needed] This lack of success prompted Raleigh to send its chief designer, Alan Oakley, to America to investigate first hand the United States youth market. Oakley saw that a new bike was required, in a very non-Schwinn style. On the flight home Oakley penciled the first outlines of what would become the Chopper onto the back of an airmail envelope.[

Raleigh did not give Oakley any special reward for dreaming up the Chopper, despite the fact that the design almost single-handedly kept the ailing firm out of the hands of the receivers. It remains the most successful cycle Raleigh has ever made.

Alan Oakley was born on April 27 1927 at Netherfield, near Nottingham, the son of a printer. He was educated at Chandos Street Boys’ School and left school aged 15 to work as a trainee draughtsman at Raleigh