Pianoman

Look for Robert Clay born 1825, Nottingham 1891 census . This census shows visitor Mary harvey 35 and Ernest Harvey 4. Queen's Grove. Although it states she is a widow that is not necessarily fact.

Look also on familysearch.org (free) and enter Ernest and Mary with actual birth date from naval records.

Hope it turns out to be a useful lead.

Funny you should suggest that. I have just done the Robert Clay search. Mary's age is also wrong on that but I get the impression that she was a compulsive liar in any event. The address of 6 Queens Grove is also logical as on the 1901 census she is at 21 Queens Grove.

I will now follow up your other suggestion.

Pianoman After many years searching census returns etc. I have got used to info names, ages and the like changing.

My GGranddad was a farm labourer in Norfolk and I tracked him right from 1851 he moved to the brewing industry in Nottm, Leeds back to Nottm and then Sawbridgeworth Essex.

When he arrived in Essex for some unknown reason he and my GGrandmother changed their birthplaces completely, by then he was apparently the leading Maltster in England and he was moving in grander social circles, perhaps he was hiding his past.

DaveP Regarding your post at #20, where did you get that from? It would be interesting to have that sort of info for some family members that were a bit closer.

It seems a lot of Nottstalgians ancestors lived on Queens Grove. My maternal grandparents were there, No. 15, from about 1920 until 1963. Ex Nottstalgian Robbie had relatives on that street too. It was only a short street too, but not very nice!

I've seen them before Malcolm. Not how I remember Queens Grove though. The front of the houses had bay windows, and it looks like they were just putting them in on the second photo. The back of the houses had extensions which housed a scullery. The toilets were up a couple of steps on the yard, which can be seen on pics 1 and 3. My Mum and her 3 siblings were born there in the 20s and I never heard them say it was a dump, but then it's what you get used to eh?!!

I remember Wicklow st Old Basford where my aunt and Uncle lived in the 50s and Kemps Cottages Carlton rd where Great Grandma lived,being very similar,and as lizzie says,don't recall them moaning.................

The 'few others' all feature the Grove pub, which is now Vat & Fiddle. Every Friday evening when I was a child, my Mum went to that pub to meet up with her Mum, brothers and sisters. It was certainly a hub of the community down there.

I remember Wicklow st Old Basford where my aunt and Uncle lived in the 50s and Kemps Cottages Carlton rd where Great Grandma lived,being very similar,and as lizzie says,don't recall them moaning.................

I had an uncle whos father lived on Browns Croft, Basford. It joined Percy Street to Lincoln Street. 1 up 1 down, back to back house, quarry tile floor laid straight on earth, front door opened straight onto the pavement which was about 2 feet wide. Its just how it was then and no one moaned. I just happen to remember that house very well.

Can't remember exactly how far down he lived but it would be on the right hand side of the road in that picture going up the street. The house certainly isn't on that picture unless it is one of those near the top where the car is parked. Pavement is obviously less than two feet wide!

Can't remember the sequence but there was......Wicklow st,Browns Croft,and Cowley st,.........i also remember being upset by the sound of Cows in the 'Slaughter' House,which i think was on Cowley st................it was'nt all good old days' was it...........

Well I have to say it is nearer David Lane than I thought it was, so the memory is fading a bit now! I would have said it was more or less opposite Bar Lane.