Mitchells boat yard in Beeston

Just thinking of the days when I used to play wag from school and go down to the boatyard. There used to be a ferry service from there across the Trent especially for the yacht club members. I loved doing that little job. I remember one day, whilst showing off a little, I jumped off the boat to tie it up....missed my footing and went straight in the water. It was about a mile walk home, dripping wet through.. There was also a café there where some weeknights, someone would bring along their Dansette record player, others would bring their records and a good night was had by everyone. I remember a Mrs. Goodwin used to serve behind the counter. Can anyone else remember this place.

I think it's now called The Marina Cafe and Bar. We used to frequent it when working at Plessey .

Probably the same one in the 50s we used when we were fishing over there........it had a 'Juke Box' that took Tanners............

In fact reckon its still there,just remembered went in there about 3 years ago,..........can't think what i was doing down there......

I used to live at the mobile home park at the Marina, just opposite the lock keeper's cottage. I lt took me a few weeks to realise the regular bell I heard - which I thought was an alarm clock on one of the boats - was to summon the lock keeper. What a fabulous job to have!! It was a lovely place to live, I'd spend hours with my son watching the boats going through the lock. I believe at one time there was a sort of beach along there somewhere?

There were allotments further down, I would come home from work and regularly find a carrier of cabbage or other veg on my doorstep. I worked for John Busutill who was a director at Beeston Marina, also had a factory off Queens Road.

• Upvote 2