Get a proper suit and Tie

Thats what David Cameron told Jeremy Corbyn in the commons yesterday........and today on Radio Nottingham there was aphone in about it,......asking the Question......'Does it matter'.........i'm sure you know what i think........and wondered what you all think ?

Edit.......not being political...........its a question in general.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dressing smartly and as appropriate for the occasion is about respect for yourself and for the person you are doing business with or visiting. Advice given to me in various training situations has be

A friend of mine died recently & the turn out was the best I've see for a funeral in Loughborough(lived here for 45 years) There were people in suits,smart casual and there & there were a cou

When at Plessey in the 70's the manager set on an ex fairground worker complete with tattoos and ear rings. Most people gasped. I waited to see what his work was like. He was brilliant, polite, neve

As a potential statesman he needs to smarten himself up. I don't want to be represented by a scruffy erk like Corben. However he does ask sensible questions of Cameron but fails to get a proper reply. Cameron should not be using question time to pass insults.

Not impressed by either of them.

• Upvote 2

So true,when the occasion calls for it:

1978.."Dad,why do you have to wear a suit for an interview?"

"Because it is a display of what level you can attain,and give a display what effort and hardwork will be given".

Still recall that conflab,I love putting on a whistle and one of my late Fathers '3 way' argyle ties.

Favourite suit recollections ..Twiggy in a pin stripe number.

Peter O'Toole in a herring bone tweed in BBC'S Rogue Male.

Yes, there's always a place for a good suit and tie. I never forgot one employer saying to me, "If you dress like a tramp expect to be treated like one." I wasn't dressed like a tramp we were just talking about how customers see us. :-)

I think folks are far more likely to listen to your opinions if you are smartly dressed.

• Upvote 4

Dressing smartly and as appropriate for the occasion is about respect for yourself and for the person you are doing business with or visiting. Advice given to me in various training situations has been to be smart and it works. Going into a difficult and possibly nasty meeting I feel empowered in my pin stripe suit and I do not get called "luv" when dressed formally. Once the initial impression is made then it is how you speak and what you say that really counts.

• Upvote 5

I can be as slovenly as the rest when out of the public eye.

I have a funeral of an old friend to go to in the near future as we are/were both ex-military it will be white shirt, regimental tie and blazer, grey slacks, black socks and black 'see you face in' shoes.

It's about self respect and respect for my friend.

• Upvote 3

Jeremy Corbyn was wearing a suit & tie yesterday as he normally does in "House" the problem "Caneron" had was it is the wrong colour.(& not Saville Row)

Clothes don't make people better or worse as human beings

Some of the biggest crooks(eg bankers) wear expensive suits

Most of them look like pox doctors clerks

• Upvote 4

He wasn't even wearing a suit - just a scruffy brown jacket and grey trousers. He still hasn't mastered the art of wearing a tie. I think his dress sense shows lack of respect to the House of Commons. Most of the time I'm more than happy to be scruffy but there are occasions when one has to make an effort.

We always dress for dinner here at Mayfield Towers!

• Upvote 4

When at Plessey in the 70's the manager set on an ex fairground worker complete with tattoos and ear rings. Most people gasped. I waited to see what his work was like.

He was brilliant, polite, never absent, exemplary time keeping and his work was perfect and he earned good bonus. A loss to the company when he left. Never ever judge a book by its cover.

• Upvote 4

In a formal environment the suited person has more presence without doubt. Doesn't follow they are more credible if the rhetoric doesn't match though. It also depends on ages, us mature folk view the suit as a symbol of authority and status, it's engrained in our upbringing. Younger people aren't impressed by suits at all. That's another thing, 'suits' is often a disparaging term in the work-place and in general. Them and us.

Many folk who wear suits do look like Corbyn. They look like they sleep in them and just have the one they wear to the death. The suit gives them no credibility, quite the reverse.

Needn't be that way. For those of us who like the suit look, even a cheap suit can look presentable if it's kept pressed, worn with a tie with a proper knot and crucially a decent pair of shoes that see some polish regularly. Not those tan things with turn-up toes that look like they've been pinched off a sleeping tramp.

• Upvote 2

If my Dad could go to work an 8 hour shift standing at a bench at the Royal Ordnance Factory wearing a tie then I do think that the Leader of the Opposition should wear a suit and tie when in the House of Commons. He's a total scruff.

• Upvote 4

If my Dad could go to work an 8 hour shift standing at a bench at the Royal Ordnance Factory wearing a tie then I do think that the Leader of the Opposition should wear a suit and tie when in the House of Commons. He's a total scruff.

HE WAS WEARING A SUIT AND TIE & ALWAYS DOES SEE MY POST ABOVE.

Likewise Phil, if a job is worth doing, then it's worth doing well, and that applies to clothing too. He can afford it for goodness sake.

Even Matalan suits would look reasonable . Better than creased corduroy. Ugh.

Like it Lizzie..( scruff!)..I dressed up when I met fellow Nottstalgians at lunch time and Mr and Mrs Catfan and I dressed for the occasion.. at a night time gig a suitable clean casual rig out is acceptable.. socks of course Benj!!