Get a proper suit and Tie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dressing smartly and as appropriate for the occasion is about respect for yourself and for the person you are doing business with or visiting. Advice given to me in various training situations has be

A friend of mine died recently & the turn out was the best I've see for a funeral in Loughborough(lived here for 45 years) There were people in suits,smart casual and there & there were a cou

When at Plessey in the 70's the manager set on an ex fairground worker complete with tattoos and ear rings. Most people gasped. I waited to see what his work was like. He was brilliant, polite, neve

RE #22, I dressed up for fellow Nottstalgians at lunchtime too.!

One small point it's up to the speaker of the house of commons to decide if a member is improperly dressed

And the speaker should have reprimanded Mr Cameron for making personal remarks about another member.

• Upvote 1

Scary BW #26.

Seems to me that when I was in my teens and early twenties in Nottingham we just about always wore a tie. Often even when only around the house. It seemed to be as much part of your clothing as your shirt. :-)

Could be that suits are a form of disguise? I'm a self-employed professional man and have not worn a working suit for years. It's chinos, either a polo or open-neck shirt, and depending on the weather, a sweater and occasionally a jacket. Smart casual, but not in an Alan Partridge way.

• Upvote 2

My take on this is that it is "Horses for Courses". i wear a suit when the occasion permits, otherwise dress for the occasion.

I wouldn't wear a suit to go to a football match or jeans for a job interview irrespective of whether I was good at the job or not. Respect is the word for me.

One thing I do stick to is a suit for going to church or at the very least smart casual but MUST be collared & tie'd.

That's how I was brought up, but one of my favourite sayings is "each to their own" !!.

• Upvote 4

Corbyn's problem where clothes are concerned is that whatever he wears, he always looks, as my old man used to say, "like a sack of **** tied in the middle".

Always reminds me of my old geography teacher.

As has been pointed out at least twice in this thread. Corbyn was wearing a jacket and tie.

Anyone who was actually watching the debate would note that Cameron only raised Corbyn's dress when he was wrong footed by a comment (I think from the back benches.. definitely not from Corbyn) asking what his (Cameron's ) Mum would have to say.

Cameron was clearly rattled by this, as his Mum has publicly criticised him recently. This is always betrayed by him going bright red and resorting to insult rather than debate.

The speaker should have called him to account for resorting to personal insult.

Col

• Upvote 1

Corbyn's problem where clothes are concerned is that whatever he wears, he always looks, as my old man used to say, "like a sack of **** tied in the middle".

Always reminds me of my old geography teacher.

Or the beloved Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson? The saviour of our country? Funny how nothing is said about his dress-sense in Parliament.

• Upvote 3

And don't forget Jeremy Corbyn is going into the age of 67 Mr Cameron will be 50 in October.(so being older don't help)

People said the same about Michael Foot when he was leader of the Labour Party in the early 1980s

Michael Foot would have been about 70 at that time.

P.S. Gordon Brown was 65 last Saturday.

• Upvote 1

Whatever the bearded one wears, whatever his politics, can't say I really like him, but I don't really know him. As for suit and tie? I am one of those people who never looks well dressed no matter what. My eldest son is the total opposite. However, I don't think you have to wear a suit and tie to look smart. I remember seeing politicians in hot climates on the News years ago. They wore suits with short trousers and I used to have hysterics.

• Upvote 1

A man's state of mind is reflected in his state of dress, can't make the effort to smartly dress, can't make the effort to smartly run a country, or so such

• Upvote 3

Corbyn is an unalloyed disaster. If he were any good, the fact that he looks like bag of washing would be accepted as eccentricity. This is not a political view - I've no brief for Cameron either but he does dress smartly! As for the Scottish fish woman - let's not go there!

• Upvote 2