Get a proper suit and Tie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dressing smartly and as appropriate for the occasion is about respect for yourself and for the person you are doing business with or visiting. Advice given to me in various training situations has be

A friend of mine died recently & the turn out was the best I've see for a funeral in Loughborough(lived here for 45 years) There were people in suits,smart casual and there & there were a cou

When at Plessey in the 70's the manager set on an ex fairground worker complete with tattoos and ear rings. Most people gasped. I waited to see what his work was like. He was brilliant, polite, neve

There really is no excuse to dress scruffily these days at all.

Most High Streets have a Charity Shop or two (Bulwell, eight at the last count) some great bargains to be had. I've bought M&S cotton shirts brand new with labels still attached for the princely sum of £2. hellothere

Mrs Catfan has a Laura Ashley frock (new) £4 ! A frock by "Monsoon" £5 ! (I once bought her a "Monsoon" frock from the "Monsoon" shop in Nottingham" for £85.)

You don't need mega bucks to dress smartly these days.

Over 20 years ago, I paid £45 for a Ralph Lauren bottle green shirt. A couple of years later, I bumped into me BiL and he'd got a similar shirt from a charity shop for £5. I was livid to say the least!

Brother in law RR.

I also have a bit of a fetish about clean shoes as well. I can't abide scruffy shoes, a bit of polish & a cloth will soon have em looking good, doesn't cost a fortune either & shoes kept polished last much longer & are more comfortable.

My idea of spending a couple of hours is to get all the shoes out (Mrs C's) too & polish the lot of em !

Sheer bliss !

• Upvote 1

I hope you don't polish the suade ones too.

I wore suade for years as I hated cleaning them . Trouble was I spilt so much beer on them, they looked like leather eventually.

I know, I shouldn't spill my beer!

There really is no excuse to dress scruffily these days at all.

And some of the biggest crooks wear £2,000 suits.

Do not attack Jeremy Corbyn just because he does not dress like Cameron or Osborne

Jeremy is still the best option for working people.

As I have said before if you don't like the policies that Jeremy stands for then say so but do not attack him because you don't like his clothes.

You are simply repeating the crap that the papers are printing.

https://theworldturnedupsidedownne.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/15-times-jeremy-corbyn-was-on-the-right-side-of-history/

• Upvote 2

IMHO, people should mostly dress how they wish. But, they should make some allowance for the situation.

So, I wouldn't turn up for a wedding or funeral looking scruffy. The extra effort is about showing respect for the occasion and the people who are the 'object' of the occasion. I'd wear a suit, and a tie and my shoes would be clean, but then they always are. I have two or three very smart 'crombie type' overcoats for funerals, which so often come in the depths of winter. There is something quite dignified about dressing that way and I felt very 'right' in such attire on the couple of occasions I was required to lay wreaths on Remembrance Sunday.

But, having spent about 30 years being pretty much required to wear a suit and tie to work, I don't do so often now. I see no requirement to wear a suit or tie when going to the pub, or to most social functions, entertainments etc. And for going on days out to 'attractions' of various sorts, formal dress is a right royal PITA.

That said, I recall the days when I would have been called a scruff because I mostly wore jeans, long hair etc., Yet, my clothes and hair were clean and often I'd sit on the work bus behind some allegedly smartly dressed character with greasy hair, dandruff, a greasy collar and shiny pants. Probably scuffed shoes too. Yet superficially they would be seen as 'smartly dressed'.

In 1969, my Grandad Jack died. I didn't know he'd died and had been away from home. By coincidence I arrived home on the day of his funeral, but didn't go because I didn't have the right clothes to wear. I have regretted that ever since. Grandad Jack was always immaculately dressed, but he'd have understood.

Col

• Upvote 1

A friend of mine died recently & the turn out was the best I've see for a funeral in Loughborough(lived here for 45 years)

There were people in suits,smart casual and there & there were a couple of people from the bell foundry in their overalls but no comments were made at all

The funeral was one of the nicest I've ever been to :)

• Upvote 4