Garden Fencing

Wood Lane timber, Hucknall, or Barnards, Moorbridge Rd.

• Upvote 1

Wood Lane are expensive Catfan, I know that to my peril.

Outside this area, the best is Holly Farm at Bassingfield.

• Upvote 1

I always go to Barnard's at Moor Bridge. Excellent quality panels, very strong. Last ones I bought, about four years ago, 6 feet wide by five feet height were £25 each, plus delivery charge - one charge irrespective of how many panels. They erect fences, but have no idea what they charge, but they do have a website. For your boards, buy the vertical-plank ones. Do not buy waney-edge panels. They warp in the sun's heat. The voice of experience talking here.

• Upvote 1

I used to deliver wagon loads of fence panels & can tell you as Chulla pointed out that Waney Edge panels are very inferior to Close Boarded panels.

It used to amaze me when people still used wooden posts instead of concrete one's ! A bit cheaper, yes, but nowhere near as strong as concrete posts.

• Like 1

Last year I replaced all my old fencing round the back garden concrete posts and close boarded panels fro Barnards at Moor Bridge, very happy with the quality. The only thing I would say is that you will have to devise/purchase something to lock the panels in place otherwise they offer no security.

I used to deliver wagon loads of fence panels & can tell you as Chulla pointed out that Waney Edge panels are very inferior to Close Boarded panels.

It used to amaze me when people still used wooden posts instead of concrete one's ! A bit cheaper, yes, but nowhere near as strong as concrete posts.

Actually concrete posts can be as cheap it seems. A fencing guy I met buys 8ft concretes for £8.50 from somewhere in Ilkeston.

Rule of thumb with fence panels..think Wind!

A 6x6 fence panel has some surface area in a brisk zephyr!!

Grooved concrete posts.. Slide the panels in.Elliot's gardeners from Ruddington taught me the importance of holes or gaps to allow wind to escape.Young timber today isn't tanalised correctly.

If the customer insists on timber posts i use a steel spiked boot for the butt of the post to sit into.

Always screw the panels and slips..leaving gaps for wind to escape..thus less pressure on panel. Have often received calls here on a Sunday when some poor dears fence has been playing Frisbee's.

Always used to moan when someone left the gate open on Valley road Tennis Courts,.......bleddy draft.............

• Upvote 2

Three sides of our back garden have boards nailed to wooden posts. Years ago the bottoms of the posts rotted away, but liking wooden posts over concrete ones I bought 3-foot-length concrete posts (they have a name I can't remember) and concreted then into the ground and then bolted the wooden posts to them (they have holes in the posts for this purpose). I have replaced the boards but the posts are still the original.

They are called "Spur Posts" Chulla.

Re fence panel security with concrete posts. A small piece of wood tapped down from the top between the concrete post & panel, like a wedge will make em secure ! You won't lift them out in a hurry.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've just had my drive block paved, and the old wooden fencing replaced. The new concrete posts look somewhat prominent, but I'll get used to it eventually.

I must get some of the little metal clips to secure the panels to the gravel boards. I don't want some local towrag pilfering them !

Typical........ Bodge, bodge, bodge. I'm a perfectionist, don't you realise that Benjamin!

• Upvote 1

Fly i'll have you know......my DIY skills have been mentioned in court (divorce) more than once..........lol.

• Upvote 1

Oh yes! The least said about that the better. LOL