29 Upper Parliament Street, Nottingham

Express buildings, Nottingham. Any info past and present welcome as I used to work in these premises in the late 90s. Freeth Cartwright Hunt Dickens Solicitors did occupy these premises for a time and when I worked there. Just wondered the history of the building. I went past last night, whilst out in Nottingham last night with a friend.

There is a book titled "Fothergil"l available at the City Information centre on Smithy Row, wich gives details of all Fothergill buildings whether standing or demolished.

The second book is also quite good & also still available.

Fothergill_COVER_Opt_2_s.jpgKen_book.jpg

• Upvote 2

This building used to be the office of the Guardian Journal and Evening News newspaper. My dad worked there. The round tower was the front office.

I can remember my grandfather collecting news papers from here for delivery to shops

That would have been in the late 1950s

• Upvote 2

I think it was a newspaper office in 1903, it certainly was in 1924 and then right through to 1963 when the Evening News combined with the Evening Post and the staff moved "over the road" to the Evening Post offices in Forman Street (now demolished). In 1961 my dad took me around the newspaper office to show me how papers were produced. It was very interesting, especially how they did the photos.

I've mentioned this book before in another thread but if you like the 'old' architecture then have a look at a book in the Pevsner Architectural Guides about Nottingham. It's an excellent book with great photos and walks around the city looking at the buildings.