29 Upper Parliament Street, Nottingham

# 23 Bomber when my dad took me for a look around the newspaper office in about 1961 I remember seeing the big printing press. It was amazing.

#22 DaveN the Pevsner is excellent with great photos. I bought a copy in a second hand book shop. I have learned a lot about my home town from reading it!

• 4 months later...

Designed by Watson Fothergill & is Grade 2 listed

14128565.jpg

I used to work for thomas fish when they were on plains road . I had to go to this building back in the 70s to take support brick samples from the basement as the company was carrying out repairs. I was also chauffer to george michel fish for a while. .

All I can say in this subject is that the majority of today's so-called architects should be ashamed of themselves for the soulless, characterless, ugly carbuncles they inflict on our towns and cities.

Personally, I'm a Tudor at heart and would happily live in a timber framed, wattle and daub construction in the middle of a field full of nettles than exist among concrete eyesore blocks of flats and throngs of citydwellers but then I'm one of those anti social types who likes to live in the past, where they do things differently!

• Upvote 3

I'd like to live somewhere like that Jill..............but near Bulwell................lol.

• Upvote 2

In your own head, Ben, you can live anywhere you like. I wasn't keen on the 20th century and I'm even less enamoured of the 21st. The chap in my life for the last 20 odd years has been conducting an ongoing affair with the Georgians. If it isn't their houses and their architecture, it's their furniture. I've told him it's all a bit modernist for me! He is also a very vocal proponent of the work of Albert Speer even though it's certainly not politically correct to say so in this day and age but he's probably the last person on this earth who would subscribe to political correctness!

• Upvote 1

Jill, so he likes Speer's work and he likes Wagner's music. Does he have ' I love Hitler' tattooed on his wherever. lol.

Actually, I like Speer's architecture, and I like Wagner's music even more.

• Upvote 2

Chulla, on his mother's side of the family, he is descended from Walter De Strelley and the Barbers of Eastwood. On his father's side, he has Prussian ancestry. An unusual mix! Interesting family tree. I've done a lot of work on it.

He thinks Hitler was an idiot, which is not to say that those who

produced architectural designs during that period are to be dismissed for their grandiose ideas. They aren't to my taste but each to their own, is what I say. It would be a dull old world if we were all the same!

• 1 year later...

I remember Lipman's being on Derby Road but not on Parliament Street. I was a bridesmaid in the70s and my dress came from the Derby Road shop. The lady who ran it was the wife of a Nottingham solicitor.