I am a News Addict,......local or National,..but was surprised a new Daily Paper was launched today ''New Day'' seeing as how Newspaper readership is in a rapid decline,....had a quick scan of it and it seems a bit bland,but we'll see'.

I already buy 2 daily papers 3 if you count the Nottingham Post as a Daily now,also buy Hucknall Dispatch,Basford Bystander,Bygones and 2 Sunday Papers,must cut down because most of em don't hold my interest like they used to.

Then there's the Radio News,at home i'm permantley tuned in to Radio four,and the Car radio is also Radio 4,and Nottm,Derby,Leicester,Lincs and West Midlands for their local News.

Television News always on in my room (den) BBC,Sky News,Aljazeera or RT,........Anyway should have put this on ''Loppys Random Rambles''...........what i'm asking is........are any of you Addicted to the News as badly as me ?

Or is the Wife correct and i need Therapy.........lol.

• Upvote 2

You need therapy!

The last Sunday paper I bought was a a couple of years ago when I realised that I was paying for page after page of adverts and figured they should be paying me for reading the damn thing.

• Upvote 2

Tis indeed strange, at a time when some of them are moving away from print towards online only.

As for me, last time I bought a newspaper was the Telegraph to read on a rail journey - partly because WHSmith in the station was giving away bottled water with every copy.

Otherwise, I use Google News as it draws lots of different online articles together so that you get all the different slants on stories, from the frankly hysterical of the Mail or Express, to the more balanced Independant or FT.

• Upvote 1

I agree with your wife and think know that you need therapy, benjamin, the sooner the better.

Maybe not, though, we'd miss your funny posts. :biggrin:

Regarding the newspapers, I put a link on Nottstalgia to a free online newspaper site a while ago.

Since then we've had a lot of new members so I've added the link again.

This will give them the chance to bookmark the site onto their computers. Enjoy. :)

http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/news/#.VVIyE5MUjai

• Upvote 3

I am addicted. BBC News 24 is on most of the time and sometimes I turn to the Sky news channel. We buy the Sunday Times most weeks. I like the Culture magazine with the TV programmes and reviews and also the book and film reviews. The magazine and the Style magazine are an easy "dip in" read over breakfast during the week. We sometimes get a free local newspaper.

Newspaper sales are in decline and I am surprised that a new one is launched. There is so much news on line, websites and newspapers. This is another addiction but second to Nottstalgia.

Breaking news the Google self driving car has crashed!!! It is reported that Google is re-programming the car to make it "understand" that buses get in the way!

• Upvote 1

#9 Michael, We really appreciate that link. I added it to my Desktop the last time you posted it and It is a good idea to re post it for anyone who hasn't tried it. We use it every day and check out all the different Papers, to see what's going on in other areas.

• Upvote 1

I'm addicted, too! Read a paper every day then look at some online too, including Nottm Post. Love the weekend papers - Telegraph on Saturday and the Times on Sunday. The weekend papers aren't just news - there's so much to read and I particularly like the Travel and Culture sections, Reading newspapers online just isn't the same. I've got a Kindle but still prefer a real book, just like a real newspaper

• Upvote 2

We get a local paper every day and I tend to read it with my morning coffee. Mostly just about the local robberies, drug deals etc. i do not give it much credence. Some of the writers? Can't spell or have much understanding of elementary grammar. Wife likes it for coupons. Says it pays for itself. I can't be bothered to even follow through on that.

I pretty much gave up on television at least two years ago. I am sick to death of the slanted reporting and constant fear mongering. The programs are even worse. Sometimes I watch the news after supper to see what slant the idiots are pushing today but it doesn't do much for my digestion.

See, I tode yer a wus a curmudgeon. :-)

I watch the BBC news at 6 followed by East Midlands Today whenever I can. I don't like watching ITV news for some reason, I guess it's a routine more than anything...

I believe studies have shown that people who watch the news all the time are more depressed than those who never watch it at all. When you see what news outlets choose to show/report I can well believe this. As an experiment I stopped paying attention to it myself and I would say that my mood did measurably improve.

Food for thought.

• Upvote 2

When we lived in South Africa each morning or night we would get the BBC world news on the radio, at the time we did not have TV. We kept in touch with what was happing thanks to the BBC.

News good or bad we need to know, what doe's worry me though is how much are they telling us, are they only telling us what they are told we need to know?

I still think big brother is out there.

• Upvote 2

Yes good point m m,..............i'm def. cutting my News reading and listening down,..........and play more Music in the Car............

• Upvote 1

Played a Bach CD coming home in the car this p.m. I feel much more relaxed and content at the moment. Now I just need to keep the news off.

It'll be all political anyway. Big voting day today. I'm glad I don't have a vote. I wouldn't vote for any of 'em anyway wot a bunch. And thats wot I say!

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

I stopped watching or listening to any News years ago, but that’s all changed since Nigel Farage been given is own news show @ 7pm on GB NEWS I’m hooked Freeview 236, Sky HD 515, Virgin HD 626, YouView 236 & Freesat HD 216, last nights interview with Peter Hitchens I could have watched all night, or until MrsRed wants to watch Love Island & I’m off to bed.

• Like 2