Whilst browsing Google maps the other day I spotted the Left Lion meeting point and on clicking discovered he’s now known as Leo.

Now when I were a young lad gallivanting around Nottingham in search of a good time in the late 60s/early 70s, like all Nottingham folk we often used to arrange to meet people by the lion statues in front of The Council House.

In those heady days of Shipstones & Home Ales and other brews drunk to the sounds of The Beatles & The Stones and other bands the lions were affectionately known as George & Fred.

George was the left lion because he was on the Griffin & Spalding side and Fred was the right one due to his proximity to Farmers & The Flying Horse.

Any other Nottstalgians familiar with these names?

I suppose with the passing of these establishments the lion’s names have too passed into history. So what’s the right lion known as these days?

If the beast has yet to be named may I suggest in the spirit of sexual equality she be known as Elsie with her proximity to Exchange Walk being a prompt

Apologies if this have been posted before I just haven’t seen it.

• Upvote 4
  • 3 months later...

The Lions would only roar when a virgin passed, but did not Nottingham have a reputation of having the prettiest girls in the country?

• Upvote 2

Now then Michael, no creeping. You're correct though, once pretty, always pretty!

• Upvote 2

I am a Nottingham Lass and was a stunner in my day, in fact at 70 I am still quite a dish..........

• Upvote 6

Not according to your avatar, Blondie. Cummon, let's 'ave a look at yer.

• Upvote 1

I'm your friend on Facebook, Blondie, so I know what you look like... and it's true - you still look good x

• Upvote 1

I'm your friend on Facebook, Blondie, so I know what you look like... and it's true - you still look good x

Well thanks MargieH - I think you are lovelly too.....X

• Upvote 1

I'M sure you are blonde,..........doing owt tonight ?

Shucks a bit late now Benjie, I was free last night too........im in doors welded to the settee watching football and again tonight........

• Upvote 1

#14, Chulla - Must get my son in law to put my piccie up, do not know how to do these things......I am on Face book though, if you want a peek -Lynn Taylor (nee Housley)..............

Katyjay, that's a bit unkind lol (and wouldn't you feel bad if he really did look like Quasimodo!!)

Thinking about it, he could have a little picture of 'The bells'

Are you reading this, Michael?

Don't, you'll give him the hump - boom!, boom! Oh, get in there Morton!

• Upvote 1