• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely love the Ketty Lester version of 'Love Letters'. When I hear it, I always imagine myself and my friends walking down Trent Lane towards Snienton on our way home from the 'Pleasure Park' aft

Only recently I found this version of The lion sleeps tonight . A bit before my time, but I have always loved this song by the Tokens. On long journeys with a car full of budding singers we have had m

Many of the hits for 60s UK 'Beat' and 'Merseybeat' groups were covers of American originals. Some more obvious than others. This is not necessarily a bad thing and in many cases IMHO the UK bands a

This one threw me completely. I remember playing this down the 360 Club. I had no idea that it wasn't original, but it turns out to have been done by Louis Jordan, (Original), Georgia Gibbs and others. There's always more to learn!! It seems that Billie's version had restricted chart success due to a strike at the Decca pressing plant.

Louis Jordan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2XQqQvXJoQ

Col

• Upvote 1

Another surprise!

Who'd have thought the song often attributed to the Everly Bros was originally French?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be_Me_%28The_Everly_Brothers_song%29

I only recently came across this version, which is my current fave.

Beautiful song.

Col

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

My daughters and some colleagues can't understand how I know the words to all the latest songs......coz they're covers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let it be me by Jerry Butler and Betty Everett was one of the slow numbers played with some regularity at the Niteowl in Leicester and at The Mojo.

I can only wallow in the emotion of dancing very very closely with the current squeeze of the time .........Wow!!

This was also played but not as often............ sorry to go off thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBVFcnbAz28

Bitter sweet Symphony by The Verve,great Urban Hymn... but in reality this was culled from the The Last Time from the Jagger/Richard writing stable.

An orchestral version of this featured on The Andrew Loog Oldham LP way back in '65!

Siddha #56. I saw Garnett Mimms at the Beachcomber around 1967. I think he'd lost the quiff by then and he was a big hit with the ladies.

Ian #57. I can't comment on the Loog Oldham album, but IIRC, the Stones' 'Last Time' was loosely based on this Staples Singers song, which I believe is thought to be 'traditional'.

Col

Well there's some, in the structure and lyrics Ian, but I know what you mean.

That said, I really can't hear any similariity whatever between the Verve and anything the Stones did, though the string/orchestral into to Bittersweet Symphony always sounded familiar.

Col

• 1 year later...

The long standing debate over ones preference of originals or covers has prevailed for decades, and is purely down to ones own tastes. It works both ways, as some covers are better, whilst others not so. 

Its purely down to choice.

I prefer the Georgie Fame version of Sitting in the Park but I guess that's as much to do with it being on one of my favourite GF albums in the 60s 

3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

The long standing debate over ones preference of originals or covers has prevailed for decades, and is purely down to ones own tastes. It works both ways, as some covers are better, whilst others not so. 

Its purely down to choice.

the older we get, the more covers we hear. we associate the originals with certain times of our lives, so I suppose we listen to them through a rose coloured hearing aid(if there is such a thing)

• Upvote 1

One interesting thing about cover versions, is that it does give you a different perspective on the song. Take for instance the late great Tim Hardins 'If I Were a Carpenter'. I first heard it by Bobby Darin, then checked out Tims original, and bought the album, and really got a different interpretation of it. Then the Four Tops did a pop version, which was still pretty good. Led Zeppelin did a rocky version, then the Small Faces really smashed it. If you're not emotionally moved by Stevie Marriotts vocals, then you've got no soul. It's raw, heartrendingly soulfull. Then in later years, Willie Nelson interpreted it his way, which is also very interesting. Lately, it's been covered by the new heroes of Southern Rock , Blackberry Smoke.

Basically, it's down to it being a brilliant song whoever does it, and there's been many.

Likewise, 'Always on my Mind' is another brilliant song whoever does it. Presley with his unmistakable superb vocals, then The Pet Shop Boys with their electro pop version, which was still listenable, and finally another brilliant rendition from Willie Nelson, a true legend.

On the subject of Steve Marriott, his version of 'Stay With Me Baby' is in my mind, the ultimate cover. Again, raw, emotive, mind blowing almost. If you're not emotionally inspired by this, then feel your heart. It'll have stopped. It's just sheer talent, good music, and a great song. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

On re reading this topic, and others of a similar ilk, I've noticed that there are several disparaging views being aired over the years regarding different versions of songs. Well that's fine by me, as I'm very set in my opinions of songs, and I too have my preferences. What is important, is that people keep listening to music. There's rarely a day goes by whereby I'm not on utube searching out different versions of a song. I've noticed that many tv adverts use modern versions of great songs, such as Mad World, and many others.

The most important thing to remember is that where there are many covers of a certain song, it surely means that it's a good / great song. Other than those I've mentioned in my previous post, some of the best are Proud Mary, written by John Fogerty of CCR. Gimme Shelter by the Stones, and Bird on a Wire,and Hallelujah both by Leonard Cohen.

Good modern stuff on adverts is Way Down We Go by Kaleo, and Heavy Cross by Gossip. 

I was going to say that there is no bad 'music', but I'm afraid there is, but we'll leave it there.

• 1 month later...

Dedicated To The one I Love  Original version by  the 5 Royales.  Later a big hit in terrific versions by both the the Shirelles, and the Mamas and Papas.

Never heard of them till I researched this post, but The 5 Royales also produced some brilliant R&B/Soul/Gospel stuff in the 50s and are cited by people who know more than I do, as a critical 'link' in the evolution of popular music.

Don't know if it's the same melody/tune but I recall a jazz interpretation of Love Letters being played in the '60's by Nottingham band Johnny Johnstone's All Stars. Their version was originally French and someone had translated the French title "Billet-Doux" as Two Tickets, rather than what it really meant.

Absolutely love the Ketty Lester version of 'Love Letters'. When I hear it, I always imagine myself and my friends walking down Trent Lane towards Snienton on our way home from the 'Pleasure Park' after a day talent spotting aged around 14yrs. Love my Nottingham life memories.:)

• Like 6