Memories Of Nottingham Central Police Station.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Further to recent posts about von Werra and Hardy Kruger, here is the latter with me at R-R Hucknall in 2000 when scenes for the documentary on von Werra were being shot by a Swiss film company. Here,

There have probably been some famous/notorious people who have spent time at the Central Police Station and who had wished that they were somewhere else at the time. None more so, perhaps, that German

I attended Recruitment at Central PS in February 1975. I failed on my eyes, they were "too close to the ground" 1/2" short! I went to my doctor and asked if there were any exercises I could do? His

Very sad this building is to close, having lived just around the corner for 15 years..it was very reassuring.we used to go in as nippers and talk to the desk sergeant, I handed in bags,wallets and purses and received a reward each time.volunteered once for an ID parade..got paid and tea and sarnies!!

Only the wrong side of the counter once.. Ouch!!

Only the wrong side once for me too. God, those cells are cold once the days alcohol intake has worn off.

Is this where they used to have the sales of recovered and lost property?

I once had my bike pinched and it turned up there 12 months after it was stolen.

I remember that I couldn't prove that I was the owner and had to buy it back!

It wasn't a lot to pay though, so I was fairly happy with the outcome.

Only went in there once. As an eleven year old to receive a police caution for riding a cycle without lights, well I nearly did run the copper over, I couldn't see him in the dark !

• Upvote 1

The only time i ever went in the building was a few occasions in the mid 60s when my parents took us to see concerts by the police brass band. They were held in some kind of assembly hall on a Sunday evening around 7pm.

And I was surprised to discover the band still exist and are still giving concerts. http://www.nottspoliceband.co.uk/index.htm

I was taken there once after I'd witnessed a theft in the city centre and the thief had legged it. I was asked to have a look through books of mug-shots to see if I could recognise anyone. After I'd waded through them all, I said ' no, only my cousin '.

• Upvote 3

I went into the front entrance in about 1980* for my physical and other assessment. The room was immediately off to the right of the main entrance. The desk was straight in front.

I was weighed, and then my height was taken. The minimum height then was 5 foot 8 inches. I barely made it. This was distinctly odd as the army measured me at 5 foot 10!

I was assigned to Bassetlaw Worksop division. There still remained some differences, or even oddities between the outlying Notts force and the city force. Obviously the City police thought they were superior to the country lads. In fact they probably were. They had the city to police, whereas in Worksop it was not as eventful. I remember being bored on night patrol on many evenings. One peculiarity was the chin strap. North Notts did not wear the strap down. In fact we cut it off. It was instantly recognisable where we were from. I recall it with some sense of pride. I suppose that all territorial symbols the world over are the same. Minor differences recognisable only to those who can recognise them.

Oddly enough that is all I ever saw of Central nick. There was some opposition to the county force but I did not really appreciate it at the time. For cars, I had a second (or most probably) a third hand flat hat rather than the helmet, as a helmet was rather impractical in a car. It still had a Nottinghamshire Combined Constabulary badge on it, plus something like a white plastic bag over it. It was far from smart. I still have the badge. It would attract many comments on the traffic patrol when we went south as it did look old and worn and a bit crap. The Central lads were smart as carrots.

On traffic (based at Ollerton) we would go to Shakespeare Street, and we never went to the Central nick canteen. I think there was some resistance from my colleagues about it. We went next door to the traffic lads entrance, where there was a very grotty cafe, but served all night. I still sound my horn on entry to a blind exit. Those who know the exit I am talking about will know why. I recall Canal Street nick well, as it was where we assembled prior to to the Forest matches. The food before a match was first class, a big fry up!

*My God can it really be 36 years ago?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I worked at Central 3 times in my career, all in all about 12 years. I loved it and without doubt the best station I was at. The last time was from 1990 to 97 when I retired. I will be at the ceremony tomorrow. I had my time there and got the tee shirt but I feel sorry for those who will never have the opportunity to be stationed there. I bet the new place won't have half the character of the old nick.

• Upvote 1

Having been away from Nottm for more than 40 years, I don't recall the Police being in Shakespeare Street. I seem to vaguely recall them being in the Guildhall, but may be wrong. I do recall the Fire Station though. I was always fascinated walking past and seeing the Engines all shiny inside. When I was in the 96th Nottm Cubs we went on a visit there. That would probably be around 1960-62. I was aching to be allowed to slide down the Fireman's pole, but it wasn't an option.

Incidentally, did any of our resident PC's ever come across a Dave Armstrong from Bestwood? I think he joined thew force around th late 60's Old mate of mine who I'd love to track down.

Col

P.S. I also remember the days when the Nottm Police had what I think were Standard Vanguard cars, with bells on the front, and the Motorcycle guys had those Velocette water cooled machines.

I used to frequently stagger home over Hucknall Road by the NCV garage when I was DJ ing. I'd either be on the way home from the 360 at Bulwell, or have just been dropped off after a 'gig' further afield. It wasn't unusual for me to be stopped by a friendly Bobby. They'd want to know who I was, where I'd been etc. It was no big deal for me.

Until....

One night I was stopped and I sat in the Bobby's car while he 'checked me out'. Then I was on my way over the railway to Bestwood Estate and home.

Around 6:00 am next morning I was rudely awakened by two plain clothes types who demanded to know why I'd been in the area of Hucknall/St Alban's Rd the night before.

"Because It's my way home!"

"Where had you been?"

"Who were you wiith?"

Etc., etc. I had to try to remember where I'd been, who with, who'd been dropped off, in what order etc.

Turned out a Taxi Driver had been shot by a man in his early 20's, with long hair, a moustache and denims, which apart from describing me, also described around 80% of similar aged lads at the time.

Never heard anymore.

And it wasn't me.

• Upvote 1

What will they do with the building?

On recent form, they'll knock it down and replace it with nondescript brick rubbish.

Col

Iandawson

Mk 2 Granadas in my time.

The grid was notorious. Many a numberplate was lost on that grid.

The south patrols (there were many areas to patrol, it was not quite as simple as north and south) set off after 6 on earlies from Ollerton and we had refreshments at Nottingham at either 9 or 9:30 precisely when you were on early shift. I often got Notts North as my patrol. The south patrols were the best as you could get into Nottingham. North patrol didnt. Mainly I did the A1, Worksop to Retford, down as far as Mansfield and that was it.

Might have met you Mercury, my mate owned hodsock farm and grange in Workshop..bad place for boozed up tykes.

Going way back Bob Collington,Police Frogman was my Dads best mate,

Kevin Green, Adrian and Bryce I knew also...medders!!

Worksop and Mansfield ex flatmate Kevin....Dog handler. All solid reliable blokes.

Only went in there once. As an eleven year old to receive a police caution for riding a cycle without lights, well I nearly did run the copper over, I couldn't see him in the dark !

I thought that cats and their loyal servants could see in the dark. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Having been away from Nottm for more than 40 years, I don't recall the Police being in Shakespeare Street. I seem to vaguely recall them being in the Guildhall, but may be wrong. I do recall the Fire Station though. I was always fascinated walking past and seeing the Engines all shiny inside.

The police station is at the side of the fire station. If you look at the fire station front where the fire engines are parked then the left hand corner is the police station. It runs all the way down and backs onto the Guildhall Court building.

Trying to find memories of police station on the main road heading away from sherwood forest/arboretum, quite a bus ride from memory but can anybody enlighten me>>>> till there ? Heading towards ranskill, direction , vague memory , it was over 40 years ago.