In (little)Waitrose last week i was doing a bit of shopping ,the security man was walking round the store as usual..,when all of a sudden he and two policemen were leading a handcuffed lad out of the shop! good to see the security bloke is doing a good job.

Not so good in the 99p shop in broad marsh,it was a while ago that I saw two teenagers stuffing sweets in their hoodies .I told the person on the till but he just shrugged,I know it's only 99p,but it's still stealing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shop lifters, at first I thought it said shirt lifters - phew !!!!

When we had our Beer Off; shop lifting was a big problem, ranging from the Children nicking sweets or climbing the fence, stealing the empties and then bringing them in for the deposit back. We used

True about the managers ....probably can't do it now with computerisation and scanning but I remember when a supermarket manager had his own till that wasn't on the records . Everything that went in t

When we had our Beer Off; shop lifting was a big problem, ranging from the Children nicking sweets or climbing the fence, stealing the empties and then bringing them in for the deposit back.

We used to have Kabaddi sports across the road at the Stadium every year, very popular, which attracted crowds, of all Nationalities. I was trying to serve as quickly as I could but the people were queuing out the door, even with help it was impossible to keep up.You may think profits would be up but on one particular day; as the crowd had been served and the shop emptied, we saw that two whole shelves stacked three deep of 4pt and 7pt Bumpers had been cleared. This kind of thing was on going, and out of our control.

The stadium attracts lots of people all through the year, and of course among the honest people there will always be some on the look out for a freebie. We did lose a lot of stock on these days.

Shoplifting didn't only happen with customers, it was something we had to be aware of with deliveries as well. It is all a form of stealing, it did do a lot of damage to us, as we were only trying to earn a living not make a fortune.

• Upvote 8

After a visit to the City Hospital with my wife we decided to go to Tesco at Top Valley. As we were walking down an aisle an Asian couple were eating stuff that they'd taken from a shelf. They were in clear view of the cameras but it didn't seem to bother them.

They left the store as we arrived at the checkout and nothing was said to them.

• Upvote 1

Its called 'Grazing' Michael,.........ignorant people do it,......usually they are just asked to refrain..........

• Upvote 1

#4 You say Asian that word refers to people originating from East & Southeast Asia China, Japan, South/North Korea or Vietnam, you don't muck around with them they all dead good at Kung Fu have you not seen Bruce Lee?

• Upvote 5

I bet I'd be accosted at the very least if I did that in an Asian supermarket.

• Upvote 1

Did security at the Broad Marsh Centre a few(about 14)years ago and quite often shoplifters were caught arrested taken to special courts bailed & be back in the centre within a few hours

We had our "regulars" who were banned but somehow managed to sneak in.

If they were noticed on the cameras they were sent packing only to try it on again a little later on.

It could be a continuous battle with some & they were not the nicest people either.

I TEND TO AGREE with RR's Grandad Catfan,..........my Mam used to say sumat similar ref' Liars.............

• Like 1

Shop lifters, at first I thought it said shirt lifters - phew !!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

I have seen many a person shoplifting over the years, would never report them myself, it is too risky nowadays, I do not want my legs breaking.................

Me too Bubblewrap - CHEERS !!!!

Many years ago a bloke I know worked at a medium sized company in Nottm & the boss suspected a bit of plfering by his staff.

After a private security firm were brought in thirty odd employees got the sack, only leaving half a dozen or so employees left !

Problem with shop lifting is, it costs all of us at one point, in higher prices.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

People tend to think 'shoplifters' come in recognised chav' clothing,some do but they are the obvious ones and are easy to identify and indeed collar,but believe me the bulk of 'Shop shoplifters' you would not recognise,they are your everyday customers that you would'nt give a second look to.

But the most prolific thieves are staff,.........but thats a whole different subject................

• Upvote 2

Your last line in the post above is so true benjamin, we found out the hard way. At the height of our business, I had to take on part time staff, trying to run a business with two children(Chris had his own day job) became impossible, Warehouse visits etc. A lady to help around the house and two part time Counter assistants.One for a couple of mornings and one the same for evenings.

Our profits were dropping at a speed, that shocked us and our accountant. We knew it wasn't us, so started to keep check on our staff. The problem was, being a small business our staff became our friends, making it hard to doubt them. The one lady was beyond doubt in our opinion, so we started to watch the other evening assistant.

It soon became clear that she needed the bathroom far more often than expected. Her large bag was always just by the shop entrance in the hall next to the seat provided. On one of her visits to the loo, we flipped the flap of the bag open and the bag was tightly packed with all sorts of our stock. The most expensive and small items (20s of ciggys) packed tightly round the outside of the bag. She must have had hundreds of pounds worth. Not knowing how many notes she was slipping in her pocket. This went on until we were 100% sure. She was one lucky lady, because we were a bit naive, we told her we couldn't afford to keep staff on anymore, gave her two weeks pay, she knew she was lucky and went quietly. She almost brought our business down.

She was the one we caught red handed, but looking back, we realise there were more. Then there was my domestic help. Who one day I walked in while she was dusting my bedroom with Chris's "Best Shirt". But that's another story. Ha You really can't be to trusting in business as benjamin says the people I am talking about were your everyday decent looking people. I had my eyes opened about a lot of people in our 10yrs running that Beer Off. :)

• Upvote 6