We had a few problems with staff over the years when we had our shop . A couple of times it was customers that informed us when staff were fiddling the till .

One fairly mature lady who was overly friendly with us , always asking how our kids were etc. was seen by a customer not ringing in goods and putting a tenner in her pocket . She was also related to about half the town , having 8 kids herself , so God knows what went on when we weren't there.

Fortunately this was when the retirement age for staff was in place , so we told her we couldn't get insurance for her anymore and let her go .

When my son ran a shop for us in London one of the staff ran up a huge telephone bill phoning gay chat lines !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shop lifters, at first I thought it said shirt lifters - phew !!!!

When we had our Beer Off; shop lifting was a big problem, ranging from the Children nicking sweets or climbing the fence, stealing the empties and then bringing them in for the deposit back. We used

True about the managers ....probably can't do it now with computerisation and scanning but I remember when a supermarket manager had his own till that wasn't on the records . Everything that went in t

And some so called 'Managers' were far worse than shop floor staff....................

True about the managers ....probably can't do it now with computerisation and scanning but I remember when a supermarket manager had his own till that wasn't on the records . Everything that went in that till was his !

I had forgotten the most ingenious staff theft . When I was at Asda West Bridgford in the 70s we used to close on a Monday ( and Sundays too of course) but it was a major replenishment day for the staff .

A clothing supervisor used to handle returns for faulty goods on a Monday .

She used to parcel up the clothes and trot over to the Post Office on Loughborough Rd to post them .

What she also used to do though , was parcel up anything she fancied from the clothing racks , addressed to her home address and added them to her pile of parcels .

Beauty of this was not only did Asda lose the goods , they also used to pay for them to be delivered to her house !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Years ago I had a market stall selling fabric off cuts.There was a woman who used to come with a shopping trolley,shove it right up to the stall ,and like a bleddy magician she would slide the fabric into the trolley.She was caught out though as one day my friend on the next stall stood behind her,then as the woman was going to walk away my friend said 'was you going to pay for all that?'The woman calm as owt put it all back on the counter and walked off.But the best bit was ,some time after I saw her working in M&S.

• Upvote 3

Mid 80s when I lived in Radford the lifters used knock on all the doors flogging there pilfering, once turned up @ the Marquis of Lorne & everyone had the same shirt on! They'd take the whole rack!

Thats definatly one for my book Red,..........lol.

• Like 1

Yes when the SIA was introduced it did'nt exactly clean the industry up did it.................

We once had an hypnotist on @ The Variety it was a full house after over an hour of trying, playing strange music counting down from 1000 to 1 "look around the eyes not into the eyes" he had put nobody into a trance & gave up, his excuse was "bet they've all got relatives on the till @ the Co-op"

Sorry Benjamin, I assumed by your new pic that you were constipated.

• Upvote 1

No Fly,........my diet is to good........and the Bathers fit perfect thanks,........just can't decide which Tie to wear with em..............lol.

• Upvote 1

I hope the tie is not to hold up your trunks.

• 1 year later...

Good news for shoplifters in Nottingham,..Nottingham Constabulary have said they will not investigate shoplifters,and will stop sending Officers to investigate the thefts,to save money.....Unbelievable !!!

This gives Shoplifters the freedom to rob shops without fear of being caught,.....not only will it cost shops and customers a lot of money,but does not take into account the stress and worry to shop staff, especially older ladies working in small shops until late at night.........

• Like 1

You may just have discovered a niche market, Ben. Many shops these days have a cardboard cut out policeman...I've not seen any police women! I did see a cardboard policeman with one and a half legs the other day! He won't be running after shoplifters.

Perhaps a cardboard cut out of your good self in the shops of Nottingham might deter the light fingered brigade. The risk is that they'll all get nicked, ending up stapled to the walls of besotted Bulwellian females, being drooled over.  smile2

Stop laughing immediately, Chulla!

• Like 2

Spot on again Jill........when i ran a team of SD's.......a customer decided to do away with our services,then installed card-board cut outs of Policemen,,some time later he requested our services again.........yes the cardboard cut out had been nicked.........lol

Doubt it, Jill.

I bet that's why our Ben avoids the camera at get togethers.  He doesn't want any of his potential clients to know how he looks.  Although if I saw a guy like Alf Garnett looking over my shoulder I'd move on.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

The Chief constable was quoted as saying 'we will attend if the thief is apprehended'.

Point 1 What would happen if we all stop paying the police part of our council tax bill, that might change his mind.....

Point 2 What would he say if all shop owners decided to go down the 'base ball bat' route, that might tighten his trousers.:crazy:

These Chief constables should be elected they would then have to keep Joe public on side.madashell

• Like 4
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:56 AM, DAVIDW said:

True about the managers ....probably can't do it now with computerisation and scanning but I remember when a supermarket manager had his own till that wasn't on the records . Everything that went in that till was his !

I had forgotten the most ingenious staff theft . When I was at Asda West Bridgford in the 70s we used to close on a Monday ( and Sundays too of course) but it was a major replenishment day for the staff .

A clothing supervisor used to handle returns for faulty goods on a Monday .

She used to parcel up the clothes and trot over to the Post Office on Loughborough Rd to post them .

What she also used to do though , was parcel up anything she fancied from the clothing racks , addressed to her home address and added them to her pile of parcels .

Beauty of this was not only did Asda lose the goods , they also used to pay for them to be delivered to her house !

bloke I worked with reckons when it was Gem, everyone (including the managers) used to lob stuff over the side fence for their mates.

Suppose that's literally "fencing" the goods?

Electing Chief Constables is something I've long thought to be a good idea, glad someone else thinks so.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NewBasfordlad said:

The Chief constable was quoted as saying 'we will attend if the thief is apprehended'.

He did NBL.........Good of him...........imagine a couple of 60 year old ladies,stopping a violent shoplifter and detaining him for up to two hours.....which was often the time it took for Police to attend.......they call it low level crime,.......thats rubbish......ive seen so many where it escalates to real violence,

• Like 1