Proper Butchers Shops

Does anyone know of any good old fashioned butchers shops?i don't mean butchers within supermarkets.

The only butchers I can think of is one in netherfield,and another in Southwell.When I lived in Carlton in the 70s,there were 2 butchers and a pork butcher(vickerstaffs)I used to like buying different cuts of meat which you can't seem to get now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is dated late 1920s. The shop window on the right has white lettering which says "Secondhand furniture dealers". The decorative ironwork above the shop window seems to prove it is the same place.

Smiths on Plains road makes all his own sausages on the premises. People miss it because it's tucked away in the corner of that small square opposite Bennett Road.

Found this old photo of my grandad on my dad's side. He had a butchers shop in Netherfield. Must have been before 1926 because there is a later photo of Victoria road Netherfield said to have been t

Arnold has one, namely Rowbottoms, and I noticed one this morning in Long Eaton. There is also on in Bulwell .

• Upvote 1

Alan Knights in Clifton.. serious scoff in here,pork and leek bangers are to die for! Great quality meat,I take stuff back to Tipperary every time- including dripping. Great for hand of pork,chump chops and double lamb chops,faggots,legs of pork!

Bonds on Carlton Hill. Proper butchers shop. My cousin had a butchers shop on Snienton Dale but retired 5 years ago. Before that his dad (my uncle) had a butchers shop on Thurgarton Street. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers them.

One we always visit when in the area is Kevin Porter's butchers shop in Appleton Gate, Newark, opposite the Civil War Museum.

They'll do any cut of any meat you ask for.

Otherwise, we use Spring Lane Farm Shop in Mapperley.

My hubby once ran a proper butchery, it was called Taylors on Bells Lane Cinderhill (Malc)..........it was closed down in 1987 after we moved to another shop in New Basford............people still ask about him today and want him back there...........Like a lot of other shops it has been taken over by our Asian friends and I believe it is a Fish and Chip Shop..............The area has gone down too...........

• Upvote 1

Two good ones that I know are in Sherwood (Beedhams), opposite old bus depot. The other is on Hucknall Road opposite the Tesco Express.

Where have all the Dewhurst's gone ?.........They were great shops years ago.....

• Upvote 1

We are currently discovering again what real bacon should taste like, a local small butchery here in Ceduna SA make all their own hams and dry cured bacon, non of that water filled/cured rubbish, it is then twice smoked in redgum hardwood, simply the best bacon we have tasted in many years.

The ham off the bone is pretty awesome too.

Back to Nottm, Mick Robinson in Netherfield and Bondy on Carlton hill were both up there and pretty good, last one I remember from a couple of years ago was in Newark, may have been Porters but unsure now.

Dewhurts used to be good but I think they got a bit pricey in the end.

There used to be one at the bottom of Carlton Road near bus depot called Scrimshaws I remember it was all white tiles

Best wishes

Peter

There used to be a "proper" butchers shop in Hoveringham back in the 60's/70's called Mrs Clark's. They were good butchers but I remember the flies buzzing round the carcasses in the summertime. I also rember the old slaughterhouse in Epperstone where blood would run down the gutter on Main st.