Proper Butchers Shops

One in Bulwell next to "sando's" chip shop.

Yes catfan,meat in window looks good,and always busy.............not much of a 'Meat eater' myself........

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is dated late 1920s. The shop window on the right has white lettering which says "Secondhand furniture dealers". The decorative ironwork above the shop window seems to prove it is the same place.

Smiths on Plains road makes all his own sausages on the premises. People miss it because it's tucked away in the corner of that small square opposite Bennett Road.

Found this old photo of my grandad on my dad's side. He had a butchers shop in Netherfield. Must have been before 1926 because there is a later photo of Victoria road Netherfield said to have been t

#14 Another Porters in Newark nice sausages

I go to Porters whenever I'm in Newark. Indeed, some of the best sausages available there, 'oak smoked' and 'Newark' ones are superb..

When i was at school,.....Mam always made me on a Sat. morning do 'Erands' which consisted of shopping at the Greengrocers,the Coop Arnold rd,and the Butchers Wood on Andover rd,and thats the one i hated,.......Mams instruction were 'A nice piece of Beef' about 5/-,.....i'd get home with it and more than often she would inspect the said Joint' and exclaim as she banged it on the kitchen table...........what 5/- for this Scrag end...............she still gave my 2 bob pocket money though...........god bless her..............

Smiths on plains road yes, he still did real pork dripping which I sampled when last there, he also used to sell rabbits and pheasants in season, which he hung in the shop.

Found this old photo of my grandad on my dad's side. He had a butchers shop in Netherfield. Must have been before 1926 because there is a later photo of Victoria road Netherfield said to have been taken around 1926. You can just see his store front and it is then a used furniture store. I heard that he had later gotten into the used furniture business. Maybe there was more money in it than butchering. He was retired by the time I knew him.

grandads%20shop.jpg

• Upvote 3

Gotten! Gotten! Let's have none of that Yankee twang here, Loppy. :No1:

• Upvote 1

I relief managed Marsdens on Victoria rd Loppy circa 64'........and i wonder if your Grandads shop.......was to become 'Marsdens' ?

• Upvote 1

For years since I moved here in 1999 I used to go to a butchers on Robin Hood Drive in Hucknall. Then the council closed it down for some hygiene infringement a couple of years or so ago, I didn't seem to come to any harm scoffing his meat though. If I buy meat now it's usually the frozen stuff from Iceland or Aldi

Found this old photo of my grandad on my dad's side. He had a butchers shop in Netherfield. Must have been before 1926 because there is a later photo of Victoria road Netherfield said to have been taken around 1926. You can just see his store front and it is then a used furniture store. I heard that he had later gotten into the used furniture business.

This is dated late 1920s. The shop window on the right has white lettering which says "Secondhand furniture dealers". The decorative ironwork above the shop window seems to prove it is the same place.

victoria%20rd.jpg

• Upvote 3

#38. If it wasn't the actual shop it was almost next door to it, Ben. I remember that Marsdens now you come to mention it. There are one or two pictures of Victoria road of around that time, but I am reluctant to post them as I do not know how it stands on copywrite issues. They are certainly not my photos.

Sorry about the Yankee twang, Dave. Anyway I'm a Southerner, not a Yankee. I was FIXIN' to tell yer that. I wasn't born in Georgia but I got here as soon as I could. :-)). I've gotten quite used to it now. :-)

Edited to add: Well thanks Cliff. That is the very photo i was talking about. You beat me to it. If you zoom into that furniture store you can just about make out the surname above it

• Upvote 2

Another question for Ben here. You mentioned Marsdens. Wasn't there also a Bigger Marsden's store a bit further down Victoria Road? It was right next door to a little 'we sell everything shop' named "Walkers." He sold a bit of everything from sweets, gramophone records. (He only ever seemed to have a dozen or so) to inner tubes and bike lamps. there wasn't enough room in there to swing a cat round. (Sorry Catfan)

Yes, it must have been some kind of hobby of the owner, Ian. I don't see how they ever made much money. He lived in the back of the store and only came into the store when the bell rang as you opened the door. So I suppose he was free to do whatever he wanted 'til somebody came in. Probably filling out the pools in hopes of selling the store. :-)

What was the butchers shop on Carrington Street, was it Wheatleys? Mum used to shop in there in the 50s and I remember one day clinging onto her skirt when a man dressed as a Red Indian in full headress etc. came in, frightened me to death. I think he was something to do with horse racing, a well known pundit probably.

• Upvote 1

Atholl Wheatley. Definitely, my dad worked as a driver for him in the late 50's .

He might even have delivered meat to your house Lizzie.

Maybe but doubt it FLY, don't remember food deliveries until we moved to a new estate in Arnold and we then had Co-op deliveries for everything ..... meat, groceries, milk, bread, maybe even coal? Thanks but does anyone remember the Red Indian chap?