Proper Butchers Shops

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is dated late 1920s. The shop window on the right has white lettering which says "Secondhand furniture dealers". The decorative ironwork above the shop window seems to prove it is the same place.

Smiths on Plains road makes all his own sausages on the premises. People miss it because it's tucked away in the corner of that small square opposite Bennett Road.

Found this old photo of my grandad on my dad's side. He had a butchers shop in Netherfield. Must have been before 1926 because there is a later photo of Victoria road Netherfield said to have been t

• 7 months later...

Don't go to this Hucknall one!

A butcher has been ordered to pay more than £6,000 after dirty utensils, stained aprons and hundreds of dead flies were found in his shop.

Inspectors also found staff at C Cassidy and Sons in Hucknall, Nottinghamshire, handled cooked and raw meat, creating a risk of cross-contamination.

Full story. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-37653668?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_england&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=english_regions

On 3/4/2016 at 10:08 AM, philmayfield said:

There used to be a "proper" butchers shop in Hoveringham back in the 60's/70's called Mrs Clark's. They were good butchers but I remember the flies buzzing round the carcasses in the summertime. I also rember the old slaughterhouse in Epperstone where blood would run down the gutter on Main st.

I'm afraid to say I'm guilty of the blood at Epperstone.In the early 70's,I used to go there and slaughter one beast a week for the owner,a nice old gent named Mr Marryat.

• 2 years later...

Ya wouldn't like the butchers over here in India then!. Took some folks to the local market once and one said "blimey how could people eat that " i didn't have the heart to tell them that it's where the hotels got their meat.

I always use the butcher in our village despite his being more expensive than in the supermarkets.  We don't eat huge amounts of meat (e.g. a chicken breast does for 3 of us! ) but I like to know where it's come from.  He also employs a person to make very tasty sausage rolls, Scotch eggs, homemade quiches and pies, as well as Eccles cakes, scones and rocky road (yes, I know they're not made of meat!).   He must be doing OK as he's opened a branch in Ely as well.   

Not seen a Butchers shop this side of the pond, my wife told me they used to be pretty common when she was growing up.

In Oz we had them, we used to bulk buy meat for the freezer, much cheaper than the super markets.

Never seen one here either, John.  when I lived in Canada one of the farmers in the church used to give us a side of beef.  Offset my low pay a bit.  Then deer and Moose in the winter.

I'm hearing Deer is no longer safe now.  Mad cow disease.

So it would seem Dave, plenty of warnings have put out in several states, we have a small flock of deer hang around the house site, they all look healthy.

Rowe's of Newark was / is good for pork pies, and two local butchery families I remember from the 50's and 60's, were Hoggs, and Hacketts. Anyone else remember those two ?

• Like 1

Thanks for that. The butchers I remember on Watnall Rd was the Co-op. I'll check it out on GSV.

Checked. Well after my time in Hucknall. Surprising it's still a butchers after their debacle. I do recall the location, though. The shop on the left of Cassidy's was a posh painting and decorating business called Gospels. The Co-op butchers was much further down  - opposite Derbyshire Lane, I think.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C+Cassidy+%26+Son/@53.0347334,-1.2060686,3a,15y,83.32h,89.36t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssZqSiuDWcutbk7ZQQQbtJQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsZqSiuDWcutbk7ZQQQbtJQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D86%26h%3D86%26yaw%3D113.95027%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xa3d7c418e38372d!8m2!3d53.0346988!4d-1.2058281