Local shops or beer offs that you remember

Kirks beer off on Carlton hill,just up from kirks buildings.I used to love walking into that shop,the creaky floorboards,the smell,it was lovely.Run by a mam and her son (can't remember seeing a mr Kirk)You could buy 'wine from the wood'if you took your own jug,I used to fetch it for my auntie,I wasn't old enough to drink.I think the sons name was John,lovely friendly bloke,I reckon all the girls fancied him,he looked a bit like frankie vaughan.

• Like 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would make a good board game...match the pub/business/road etc with Ben's ex girlfriend. There could be a pile of cards with the names of Ben's lady friends and the board could be marked with vario

Tom Turner's on Front Street, Arnold. Classic hardware shop on Arnold's main shopping thoroughfare that began trading in 1912 (pictured below in 1920). The type of shop that you could go and buy a co

The 'corner shop' near our yard on Hawthorne Street was Sal Hallam`s - later run by her daughter Mary. I remember when I was little my slightly older cousin taught me a little song and she said I shou

The one near 'Marble Arch' on Andover road is still going,and was there in the 50s,it was a gathering place at night for us kids,we never caused trouble tho' we dare'nt,everyone new everyone...........it was the place we got Mams loose Sherry from,Shippo's nut Brown for Grandma and Jugs of Mild for Grandad.

• Upvote 1

Tom Turner's on Front Street, Arnold.

Classic hardware shop on Arnold's main shopping thoroughfare that began trading in 1912 (pictured below in 1920). The type of shop that you could go and buy a couple of screws that you needed rather than a gross. It stood for most of its tenure on the area that is is now the Asda supermarket before latterly moving across the road and slightly north.

Great old traditional and local business which is much missed.

NCCC002826.jpg

• Upvote 4

I lived on Kinglake Street in the Meadows, mum had the small shop at one end opposite the school. Despite it having changed hands a couple of times since a couple called Miller owned it, and my mum running it for about 10 years up to its demolition, locals always called it 'Millers'. There was an off licence at the other end of the street run by a Mrs Edwards (no sign of a Mr E) which had a sign in the window saying 'no blacks'. Bitawkward for her really looking back as there were only a handful of white families on the street.

Funny how we seem to remember the surnames of shopkeepers all that time ago......i remember all of em on Andover road,.......Jackson Greengrocer,Goddards cake shop,Theakers Post office,Henstocks chip shop,Woods Butchers,Whylie Off-licence,Marlow grreengrocer,Conduit Hardware and Parsons Newsagent Ingalls newsagent...........Pity can't remember much from yesterday..........

• Upvote 3

Yes Catfan,lives in Bestwood village now...............his Mam and Dad owned it in the 50s

Not the Village.........lol.

• Upvote 1

Yates's off-license on Market Street sold party fours of Ben Truman.

Shippams shop on North Sherwood Street ended up below Tesco at Top Valley.

Foster Johns on the corner of Peel Street.

Mrs Godber on Skynner Street.

Fourbouys,VG,Wavyline,Druids,Cellar 5 I seem to remember.

The 'corner shop' near our yard on Hawthorne Street was Sal Hallam`s - later run by her daughter Mary. I remember when I was little my slightly older cousin taught me a little song and she said I should go and sing it to Mrs Hallam and make her laugh. I gormlessly went and stood in the shop and sang -

'Sally Hallam sells fish

Three a`pence a dish.

Don`t buy it, don`t buy it.

It stinks when you fry it.'

My mam and dad got a visit from Sal, who was less than pleased and I got a real telling off along the lines of,

'What do you mean - Franny told you to? Would you stick your hand in the fire if she told you to?'

As I said - proper gormless in those days.

• Upvote 4

My earliest shopping memories were Ma Taylors corner of Rosetta Road and Suez Street a proper corner in a 12ft x 12ft room.

Then there was Wilde's newsagents on Eland Street and Hancock's on Liddington Street, reckon they were on some kind of fiddle as they bought a big house on Lucknow Avenue in Mapperley Park.

The area of Loughborough where I live we are lucky to still have a few corner shops all of which sell alcohol & every day essentials

There are five within five minuets walk.

Funny how we seem to remember the surnames of shopkeepers all that time ago......i remember all of em on Andover road,.......Jackson Greengrocer,Goddards cake shop,Theakers Post office,Henstocks chip shop,Woods Butchers,Whylie Off-licence,Marlow grreengrocer,Conduit Hardware and Parsons Newsagent Ingalls newsagent...........Pity can't remember much from yesterday..........

Newsagent on Andover near Marble Arch became Westbrooks. Can't remember the old pharmacists name, but when he went Wyville's took over selling over the counter meds, cosmetics etc.cThere was a drapers at the top, cvan't remember their name. I was at school with Mr Marlow's lad Nigel.

My uncle George Burgin had a grocer's shop on the corner of Gordon Rd and Vernon Rd. probs up to about the late 60s. You can still see how the old shop has reverted to a normal house. George also had a woodyard at the top of Gordon Road on the other side of Bulwell Lane.

Another uncle. Cecil Chambers, had a grocers in Bulwell on the corner of the next street along from Hempshill Lane.

Col

As a kid I remember a Shippos one on Bathley St in the Medders, opposite corner to the tin chapel. Two old ladies used to live next door to us. For ages, every few days they'd get me to take a couple of empty quart bottles to get them filled up from the hand-pump. I never got paid owt, but I did take a good slug out of each on the way back.

• Upvote 1

Re: #13.

Just found this, showng the old Black Horse pub and my uncle's shop on the corner to the left. Looks like Cecil's shop was already closed.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/nottinghamshire/nottingham_ng6_blackhorse.html

Col

• Upvote 2

#13 DJ360

Yes col. i remember Mrs Westbrook,big domineering lady,used to serve her in Marsdens..........and the Drapers we always new as the Wool shop,remember buying a Pakamac remember them?) 19/6,...........not very stylish but they kept you dry on your Paper round........

• Upvote 1

Also one we forgot Col. the Ladies Hairdressers,first shop past the high Bulwell stone wall,..........Pams ! American lady owned it for a while,and a girl from my class at school worked there Sandra Moody,.......lived in the houses directly opp. Marble Arch on Hucknall road.

Remember the hairdressers Benjamin. In fact my neice worked there until the last occupant gave up and closed it. I believe she was suffering break ins etc. Moved to a new shop elsewhere and Helen set up doing 'mobile'.

Ben # 5. So true. I seem to be able to remember the names of many of the old shopkeepers in Netherfield, but sometimes struggle to remember the names of folks I rub shoulders with each week! Gerrin ohd aint all that much fun sometimes.

This is Orford Avenue on Clifton. The shop at the far end on the right was an off-licence and grocery store and I've been in it hundreds of times when I was younger. The thing I most remember about it was the sign above the door about "licensed to sell alcohol for consumption etc" because the name on the sign was unusual. The shop owner was a man named Alva Ballard Bates, and to this day I've never known anyone else called Alva.

chip-1.jpg

Re: #19. Just spoke to my neice Helen. She told me that the Hairdressers on Andover closed in 1995. The last owner was called Angela Hornby and prior to that someone called Glenys.

Col

#21. You might not have known him personally, CT, but Thomas Edison's middle-name was Alva.

• Upvote 1

#16, thanks for the pic Cliff, the lamp post on the right was in front of the shop. Local kids used to gather round it like moths, and my bedroom was at the front so I used to read by its light - my dad wouldn't let us have lights in the bedrooms. He used to say 'its like Blackpool illuminations' and took the bulb out in the end. Maybe that's why I have poor eyesight now??

The school was demolished but there's a new one now a little bit further up, it's called Kinglake Place now I think?