Local shops or beer offs that you remember

None of those quite fit with my memory. I only went to the place once when I was about 9 or 10 but even then I thought the place had delusions of grandeur (not in that terminology at that age though!). They considered it more of a wine and spirits shop rather than an offie.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would make a good board game...match the pub/business/road etc with Ben's ex girlfriend. There could be a pile of cards with the names of Ben's lady friends and the board could be marked with vario

Tom Turner's on Front Street, Arnold. Classic hardware shop on Arnold's main shopping thoroughfare that began trading in 1912 (pictured below in 1920). The type of shop that you could go and buy a co

The 'corner shop' near our yard on Hawthorne Street was Sal Hallam`s - later run by her daughter Mary. I remember when I was little my slightly older cousin taught me a little song and she said I shou

John Samuel was a customer there in the first decade of the 20th century, long before any of us were a twinkle in our daddy's eye.

I think most pubs allowed children to fetch beer or spirits for their elders from an entrance round the back. My father collected port for his dad's stilton cheese preserving and beer for an elderly neighbour in the early 30s when he was under 10 years old from The Crown in Beeston. No one objected.

I remember three beer-offs, all for slightly different reasons...

Don’s Wooden ‘Ut was just that, a wooden hut on the corner of Hooton Street and Carlton Road. Supposedly a hut because the Luftwaffe destroyed the original building in 1941. Lovely smell of wood and beer! We used to follow the leaflet distributors round and then pinch any money off coupons they had left hanging out of the letter boxes. Don would swap them for single cigarettes! Very wrong on so many levels!

There was another wooden hut on Thorneywood Rise where my Aunt Win lived. Same lovely smells. Their claim to fame was that they sold Nibbits. I have a feeling it was called Marsden’s, but may be getting mixed up with Benjamin’s memories!

Mrs Bancroft’s on Pym Street was where I went to fetch my grandma’s Sunday evening bottle of Nut Brown to go with her equally traditional supper of cold beef sandwiches and pickled onions. They say that everyone can remember where they were the night we heard Kennedy had been shot - well, I was in Bancoft’s!

• Like 1

I recall one on Lambert St, just across from Berridge Road. My dad was always a light drinker, but did like a bottle of Nut Brown ale, which despite the plethora of real ales, craft ales and such, I have never tasted anything as good. Two traditions - going to the beer-off for some Indian brandy when my dad had the flu and some cream sherry at Christmas.

Bruce Roper had an off licence a third of the way up Peveril st. We lived above and behind it at no 13. Our landlord sold half our big cellar to Bruce for storage. Nottingham Scientific Exchange had the two shops above Ropers. The shop below Ropers was Mr Tetley the tailor.

That row of shops are all rented housing now and I often wonder what those big cellars are used for?

Ben, do you remember the small Marsdens at the bottom of Peveril St ? Alan Oscroft was the manager.

My Gt Grandmother had an off-licence on Conway Street, Long Eaton but it was early 1900s so before any Nottstalgians were around.  She and my Gt Grandfather used to keep The Station Hotel in Hucknall before that.  He passed away and she was not permitted to keep the licence for the pub so moved to the off-licence.  I have a postcard that was sent to her while she was there, the address is just ‘Beer Off, Long Eaton’ :biggrin:

Alcohol featured a lot on my maternal side of the family!  Gt Gran’s sister and her husband, the Jennisons, ran The Horse and Groom in Linby for many many years. My uncle had a pub in Shirland and then took over The Horse and Groom when Gt Uncle George was incapable of dealing with the barrels and beer any more. Uncle Charlie Croft was at Linby for about 25 years and made a great success of it before retiring.  

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2016 at 10:31 PM, ValuerJim said:

Highbury Vale, bottom of Saxondale Drive - Westwoods newsagents, Cook's chippy, Beecroft greengrocers, Clarkes jewellers (of Kenneth Clarke MP), Dainty's barbers, Raithby's butchers, Co-op, and one or two I can't remember, including the chemist on the corner of Highbury Avenue. Also under the bridge, on Vernon Road, Stirlands post office, Lees and Palmers chippies, and a bike shop further down.

Sorry it's an old thread, but the Chemists was Turners whose son I used to go to school with who drowned on holiday which was my earliest memory of being aware that we didn't live for ever!!

• Like 1

I  feel even older, that's where I lived, can't help who your relatives are!!  Went back several years ago and was surprised how small it was, used to hide between the sleepers on the railway at the back and let trains run over me, health and safety would have a fit. My brother was far more sensible, although perhaps not now!

• Like 1

Just past Northern Bridge was the "Brough Superior" factory and I can recall seeing the Brough Car owned by George sitting outside. I believe they used to close of part of the road near Noel Street for speed trials of the Motorbikes, but never saw myself. Northern Baths was a daily swim for me and I'm still happier in water than anything else allthough my wifes ties the bricks too tight!

42 minutes ago, gone to the moors said:

my wifes ties the bricks too tight!

Perhaps you should have settled for just having one!

• 1 year later...

65 Kinglake Street was where my husband's Great Aunt & Uncle lived - Percy & Ellen MILLER .. (had a daughter called Margaret) .. 

From Hubby's memory - he said Percy was an LMS Engine Driver & that Ellen (Gt.Aunt.Nellie) ran the shop (general grocery) .. They appear on the 1939 WWII Register at 65 Kinglake St., where Ellen is down as ''Houswork'', even though she ran the shop .. Ellen was born in 1905 & she died in Jan.1976 - but by this time they had moved to Beeston Rylands ... (left around 1966 when Percy retired) .. 

Hubby's parents told of how Nellie stored food, mainly tinned stuff, in an upstairs bedroom & when they left around 1966, all this food went with them to Beeston .. Not sure if this was ''hoarded'' food from during WWII - or accumulated afterwards .. Nellie said she had saved it to eke out Percy's retirement pension ..  :) - Can't say I blame 'em .. 

I never knew them, and hubby only has fleeting memories - visiting at Christmas, etc - but he says it was good to know the District Remembered Them .. 

On 3/4/2016 at 6:05 PM, OrphanAnnie said:

I lived on Kinglake Street in the Meadows, mum had the small shop at one end opposite the school. Despite it having changed hands a couple of times since a couple called Miller owned it, and my mum running it for about 10 years up to its demolition, locals always called it 'Millers'. There was an off licence at the other end of the street run by a Mrs Edwards (no sign of a Mr E) which had a sign in the window saying 'no blacks'. Bit awkward for her really looking back as there were only a handful of white families on the street.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember a man named Bates cant remember his first name he lived on Westdale Lane he rebored engines and ground crankshafts and rebuilt engines in his garage at the back of his house this would be about 1962.

I knew one of his sons, Phil. He was an electrician who used to work for JN Simpson in Arnold. He also worked for me for a time as extrusion manager. He then went on to be self employed as an electrician as he enjoyed the wandering life and living out of a caravan.

I can still remember hauling Ford 100E engines and blocks down the driveway to be machined and re-babbited i am surprised they are still there after all these years i think it was Plains Motors was at the of Westdale Lane.Around 1968 they had 1964 Pontiac Parisienne in the showroom that i drooled over.Thanks for pictures.

I didn't realise Phil was Walter Bates's son until he came into my office one day and identified the head gasket on my desk as from a Ford 100E. It was from my Caterham 7. He didn't follow his dad into the business though but served his time as an electrician. A very good one as well. 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

identified the head gasket on my desk as from a Ford 100E. It was from my Caterham 7

Your Caterham had a  side valve engine?