Local shops or beer offs that you remember

The parents of school friends of mine, Steve and Rosemary Brennan, had this off licence on Bentinck Road in the 1960s. I won't say what we got up to in the storage loft!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9636933,-1.1673839,3a,75y,12.56h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smWoed7stgwXHxHVojtMRfg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would make a good board game...match the pub/business/road etc with Ben's ex girlfriend. There could be a pile of cards with the names of Ben's lady friends and the board could be marked with vario

Tom Turner's on Front Street, Arnold. Classic hardware shop on Arnold's main shopping thoroughfare that began trading in 1912 (pictured below in 1920). The type of shop that you could go and buy a co

The 'corner shop' near our yard on Hawthorne Street was Sal Hallam`s - later run by her daughter Mary. I remember when I was little my slightly older cousin taught me a little song and she said I shou

When our estate was createded from new in 1955 a row of shops was situated at the bottom of our road.  The fruthest shop to the right of the bolck was a grocer's shop run by a Mr Williams.  Over fifty year s later, when my mother was becoming senile, she was found walking to Mr Williams' shop one evening in her dressing gown, clutching a twenty pund note....going for the groceries for the family.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Nice pic Oz..near rhe rail bridge?

Oz...where  in Mansfield W/hse

Was Bill Wyman evacuated during the war?

Ian, It is on Belvedere Street quite close to the Stags ground

He lived on Coke Street and went to Robin Hood Junior School

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have any recollection of an off License on Pasture Road, Stapleford run by a George Johnson and his wife, Kath? I've looked on GSV but been unable to locate anything that might be the place. It's a very long time ago when they were there, I'm sure. They had two children boy and a girl. I can't remember their names. They would be in their 60's by now.

Kath Johnson was my cousin and the sister of John Griffin, the fashion designer, already mentioned on these pages. I've already mentioned George Johnson in another thread. Johnson Avenue in Hucknall was named after him.

Think its the same store jonab,,about 1970 i got the owners to join the VG set up,, Potters,,i reckon was their name.

My dad's parents moved to Stapleford, near Pasture Lane, in the mid to late 60s. I remember going to see them. Can't recall an off licence but remember The Man of Iron pub where dad and his father occasionally went for a drink.  It's still there. I pass occasionally and the area doesn't look so very different from all those years ago.

Man of Iron'' yes Jill had a few good nights in there about 68 to 70,, groups and good looking girls,,eventually had to stop going.....Stabbo lads'' reckoned we were cramping their style,,..........lol

Have memories of the 'Bridge'' too Jill,,ex girlfriend kept it Margaret with her husband John,,nice couple both originally from Bestwood Estate,,also used to meet first ex wife there to discuss divorce arrangements......lol

I remember the one on Bransdale road near to Farnborough road, it was a beeroff and grocery store, forget the name of the owner now,this was back in the 1960's, the beer off part was on left side as you went in the shop,only a small coridor for want of a better word, I was collecting beer mats at the time (as thirteen year olds do) and the owner had a large Babycham beer mat on the counter,it would be about a foot round and brightly coloured,lots of yellows and blues as I saw it,after many weeks of pestering and being extremely polite to the owner I did eventually get the beer mat,funny the memories that come back to you when you read through these pages

Rog

RR, do you remember the late Andy Round (Doddy) Was a big Reds fan. I worked with him at Plessey for years. A great bloke.

It would make a good board game...match the pub/business/road etc with Ben's ex girlfriend. There could be a pile of cards with the names of Ben's lady friends and the board could be marked with various areas of the UK. If you land on Farrand's or Marsden's, you get £20. If you land on Bestwood Park, you go straight to jail! 

Bit like monopoly...which is what our Ben seems to have with the ladies.  As for counters, there could be a football, a cravat, a wedding ring and, of course, a liberty bodice.

There's a snag, though. If we put the names of all Ben's ex amours on cards, there'd never be a box big enough to contain them!  :Shock:

• Like 5
1 hour ago, radfordred said:

I've been on a few away days with the Stabbo lads from the Old Cross, summit wrong with them not wired up right  :crazy:

You so right about the Old Cross RR,,ex father in law and brother in laws all well known in there,,probably still remembered..........

hop-pole.jpg

The Hop Pole was a regular haunt of my father's even before he was married. He was never short of girlfriends...a bit like our Ben.  Dad was very good looking and always well dressed.

The problem was, so was his father, Ted Sparrow, who lavished money on his own wardrobe at the expense of his family's needs, at times.  Father and son had a fraught relationship on occasions and, one evening, 1946 ish,  dad and a girlfriend were having a quiet drink at the Hop Pole when who should walk in but Ted, dressed up to the nines, as usual,  and who immediately noticed that his son was sporting a pair of Ted's handmade shoes.  Ted was a bit precious about his clothes and shoes, so he approached dad, took him on one side and told him off.

When dad returned home later that night, Ted asked whether the girlfriend had enquired who he was.  "Yes," replied dad. "I told her you were an old tramp who wanders round Beeston causing trouble!"

• Like 2

nottingham_ng9_jaguar.jpg

The Jaguar on Hickings Lane in Stapleford is one I remember from childhood. It must have been new then.  As a family, we sometimes called here on the way back from my grandparents of a summer evening. Mum and dad would go in for a drink and my sister and I sat n the car with a lemonade each.

Sometimes, we'd have a ride out to Attenborough Nature Reserve to watch the sun set.

Happy days!

The Jaguar no longer exists.

• Like 2

Used the 'Jag' a few times,, but again the 'Stabbo' lads just didnt take to us,,even after showing them how to play football on the Pitches adjacent,,...........

royal_oak.jpg

My grandfather, Ted Sparrow, was a regular at this establishment during WW2, when not immersed in his duties at Chilwell Depot and the ATS ladies.

His father in law, John Samuel Hudson, was also a regular here. This was situated in an area where lace was produced and kept a special room for twisthands. John Samuel was a lace designer, a Leivers lace maker and talented chap. He also had a dissolute side which brought him to this establishment early in the morning, before work, for a 'brandy puff', a raw egg in a glass of brandy!  During the morning, he would send out the shop lad to the same establishment for a jug of ale to keep him going whilst he operated his Leivers lace machine! No Elf and Safety in those days.

I believe The Royal Oak on Villa Street, is either closed or has been demolished.  Beeston is now full of students. It was once very different.