We live in Ashfield and the bin men have just left a note in our wheelie bin, this is what it say's. We are going to bring you another bin for your house hold waste, you can still keep your black bin to put your garden rubbish in. Now that means that I will have 1/ Green bin 2/ Black Bin 3/ Blue Box (normally full empty wine bottles) 4/ NA OTHER BIN.

Where are we suppose to put them? Having said that we live in grounds that have communal gardens and our garden waste is taken away by the gardener's.

Next

ADC are putting up Council Tax as all council's due and of course they all need money but which IDIOUT came up with the idea of another bin, and we have to pay for the new bins considering how large the Ashfield area is. What will it cost and WHAT A WASTE OF OUR MONEY.

I expect they will be coming round soon to ask for our vote.

I must admit that I will always vote no matter what but it seems to me that we are getting in this county

ummmmm can't think of a word to say.

Words fail me.

• Upvote 1

We live in Charnwood (Leicestershire) & have two bins (could have three)

Bin 1 black wheelie for general rubbish (collected every other week,Thursday)

Bin 2 green wheelie for all recycling ( collected on alternate weeks with above)

The third bin(we don't have) is brown & is for garden compostable waste. collected fortnightly( Tuesday)

Charnwood also collect larger items(T.Vs sofas etc) from outside your pr0perty on request.

P.S. all my household compostable waste goes to the allotment.

A green bin for general waste, a brown bin with a grey lid for recyclable waste which are emptied on alternate Wednesday's and a brown bin for garden waste, but it's only emptied between April and the end of October. Do they not realise that we gardeners work all year round! As I compost most of mine, I'm not unduly bothered.

I'm Ashfield too...as from next week I shall be burning all flammable waste that won't recycle as are most of my neighbours.

I hear a remake of Jack the Ripper is being made in Sutton as the special effects department will have a ready made London smog. :unsure:

• Upvote 2

In Rushcliffe, we have a grey bin for general, blue for recycling and pay £30 a year for a green bin for garden waste. All collected fortnightly, collections are never missed. We can easily store three bins but I see this is a problem for many households who have little or no space. Wheelie bins are often stuck at the front of houses, sometimes on pavements and have become a huge eye-sore these days.

Often when our bin gets emptied (usually while we are all out at work) we have to send a search party up and down the road to see where they've been dumped.

• Upvote 2

Problem is the waste collection of most councils is contracted out & the bin men are under so much pressure to get the job done & they are given little time to do the job that bins are bound to get missed or "lost"

Rushcliffe managed to put the lid on my enthusiasm for recycling. I was a few seconds late putting the blue bin, full of recyclables out, by which time the refuse lorry had reversed past my house, to next door. They refused to empty it, even though they had to drive past it again on the way out of our cul de sac.

So I loaded the bin up, still full and dumped bin and contents at the entrance to the council yard in West Bridgford. I got a call from the "head of refuse" who had identified it from a micro chip on it, asking what had happened. I told him, and pointed out that thanks to them I couldn't recycle for the next two weeks as the bin was full, so I wouldn't bother at all, thanks anyway. It ended up with the crew getting a warning, and he made them return the bin to me personally.

• Upvote 2

When young we had one dustbin.

Pop bottles went back to be refilled, also milk bottles, fish chips wrapped in news paper so you could read while eating, also some people would use it as toilet paper, when buying veg it would go straight into brown carrier cost 4d when it fell to bits you brought a new one, clothes were taken to rag/bone man 1/- for cottons and 1/6 for woollens. You had jumble sale's in stead of Charity shop's, No designer wear C an A was best mum could do. Street lamps stayed on at night, jug went to beer off Sunday dinner to be filled with cheap Shipstone's beer or wine from the wood. Use of one telephone so saving money. Supermarket was "Mac Fisher's or Fine Fare can't recall many things wrapped up in lot's of un-wanted paper.

I return from shopping now day's and it take's me approx. half an hour just to take my food out of the package.

Is this what is known as recycling.

• Upvote 4

Down here, we have a private company to empty our bins and they aren't very expensive at all, either. Our bins are sunk into the ground, no unsightly bins sitting outside the houses. The general waste is emptied twice a week, and recycling every 2 weeks. The bin men push a big bin on a dolly from house to house and tip your stuff into this, them empty it every now and again into the trash lorry. And, they run whilst doing this, they have to be the fittest bin men ever!

Yes NB, the illustrious NCC. 4 pc increase in community tax forthcoming too now.