• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found a few more glass negatives for sale on ebay, with some good Nottstalgia material. This is the bottom of Beastmarket Hill; the Market Square is on the left, and the Tudor building is at the bott

On one of the ebay photos, there's a street name clearly in shot. The pub behind must be either the White Hart or Isaac Newton which have both been mentioned here at various times.

I'm glad I grabbed a copy of them before they disappeared. And of the ones not seen before............. if only the ring road at Middleton Boulevard was like this now.

Doesn't work for me.

Clicked on the slideshow, but does nothing when I click the "next " arrow, ignores me on the individual photos too. Must be a Firefox thing.

Worked for me except the captions all ran into one.

• 4 weeks later...

Random search on ebay and found these from 1920s .

Many of them seem to feature an unusually large charabanc . This one is good and shows the Hippodrome Snackery in the background

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwM1gxNjAw/z/mB0AAOSwJQdW9E27/$_57.JPG

This should bring up some of the others . Where was the Bay Horse Inn ? (My news archive seems to be down at the mo)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=nottingham+negatives&_osacat=1&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=nottingham+glass+negative&_sacat=1

• Upvote 3

If I had a spare "shillin" I would gamble that a chap in this photo would have been my Uncle Syd ! The chap in the middle at the back under the middle set of windows .

He died quite young in 1932 but was a bit unusual looking from photos I have .....very baggy eyes ! He worked on the railways at Colwick so maybe they were work mates . Anyone recognise any Colwick , Carlton Netherfield or Gedling relos who were on the railways ??

Also wonder why they all are wearing flowers on their lapels ? Funnily enough 1927 (year of photo) was the year Syd Hart got married

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAzN1gxNjAw/z/ZmQAAOSwwpdW9Evo/$_57.JPG

• Upvote 3

Looking at a few of the other ebay photos and playing "Spot the location".....

The Hippodrome Snackery was on Wollaton Street.

bus%20hippodrome_zpsfmakth8l.jpg

Trinity Square with the old Holy Trinity Church behind.

buses%20trinity%20sq_zps03zmxyqc.jpg

Also Trinity Square, with Sam Ward's garage at the top.

bus%20trinity%20sq_zpsiegfly3q.jpg

At the foot of Castle Rock.

bus%20castle_zpsnuu0ohcn.jpg

• Upvote 3

Yes , my mum always called it the Hippodrome Snackery on Wollaton street .

Crikey .....all those Nottingham images in post #8 have sold for loadsamoney !

The pic of the TBI went for £109 !!

( click on the 2nd link and select "Completed listings" from the left hand menu) .Some I hadn't seen before .

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a few more glass negatives for sale on ebay, with some good Nottstalgia material.

This is the bottom of Beastmarket Hill; the Market Square is on the left, and the Tudor building is at the bottom of Friar Lane.

friar_zpsxqwbwojl.jpg

Long Eaton; the corner of College Street and Derby Road.

college_zpsprjcxdgr.jpg

• Upvote 10