Missed Opportunities

I get a great deal of pleasure out of looking at the vast choice of photographs posted by fellow Nottstalgians this has made me reflect on how many places I have been and how many things I have seen that I have missed the opportunity to record because I didn't own a camera at the time. What ,given the chance would you go back to see and photograph if you could?

• Upvote 4

First I'd photograph grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, then all the kids I played with. Then hit the town and take photos of every building. Then whole streets. Would have cost me a fortune in developing!

• Upvote 2

Old St Anns and old Meadows, all the Nottingham Collieries while they were there, list is endless, but would have been way out of my budget being film and processing costs. Pity we didn't have digital cameras back in the 60's.

• Upvote 1

I would have spent hours in Victoria Station. Problem is the times when I would most like to have been there were long before my arrival on the planet. GCR/GN days.

• Upvote 2

That's a tough question, so much I wish I could have photographed now. I think priority would be Netherfield in the time of my infant school years. The 50s. I've taken quite a few on trips back, but its just not the same without the rail shops, Bournes factory etc.

• Upvote 2

Missed opportunities needn't solely apply to photos. Jobs, partners everything in life really. We've all missed the boat at times.

• Upvote 4

I concur what Ayup said about digital camera's & cheap processing costs. If only digital had been around years ago ! Think of the endless missed opportunities.

Nowadays every Tom, Dick & Harry has a camera on their phone so no excuse really not to snap away !

My biggest missed opportunity was visiting the US a few years ago & so much wanted to see & photograph the Statue of Liberty, BUT.........the bleddy thing was covered from head to toe with scaffolding !

Talk about missed opportuntities !

• Upvote 1

Same when I visited Berlin a couple of years ago. The Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag were too.

I went mad photographing everything when I bought my first SLR, never bothered about 35mm film costs or processing, mind I was divorced, earning a good wage and living in Oz, so, so much to see and snap.

• 8 months later...
On Sunday, March 06, 2016 at 3:54 PM, catfan said:

My biggest missed opportunity was visiting the US a few years ago & so much wanted to see & photograph the Statue of Liberty, BUT.........the bleddy thing was covered from head to toe with scaffolding !

Statue of Liberty, is that a Wetherspoons Catfan? 

Cw0WLrFWIAQuoMG.jpg  

I often wish that I had taken a camera to the top of every Munro mountain in Scotland but I'm boggered if I'm climbing them all again at my age! :)

Here's one opportunity that didn't get away.  It's me in the bath at Morris Terrace, Daybrook, roughly 1953:

30277686294_547aaa47cd_b.jpg

• Upvote 5

I suppose wish I'd taken more pictures in and around Bestwood than I did.  I had a cheap camera, but very rarely the money to spend on film and processing.  That said, I'd probably just settle for being able to find the pics I did take!  :)

DJ360 #15: I did a spell at Bestwood pit as an apprentice, on loan from Moorgreen, just before Bestwood closed.  They still had a steam loco and I was put on track maintenance for a couple of weeks.  As usual, I wish I had taken photos at the time.

Earlier in the summer I put compost in the bottom of a trench, ready for my Green Beans.  Sadly all of my Beans rotted off, the weather was cold and I couldn't be bothered to plant any more.

However, two Potato plants appeared, so I let them grow,, earthed them up and even gave them a bit of water when I remembered. They died back a few days ago and it's getting frosty, so I dug up my crop today.

Grand total seven potatoes. Total weight 3 lbs. 

Still, better than nowt.  :)

Col

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Compo said:

DJ360 #15: I did a spell at Bestwood pit as an apprentice, on loan from Moorgreen, just before Bestwood closed.  They still had a steam loco and I was put on track maintenance for a couple of weeks.  As usual, I wish I had taken photos at the time.

Same here Compo.  My grandparents kept the Bestwood Hotel (Clubbie) up until the early 60s.  I would spend hours looking out of the back window of the upstairs living room, which overlooked the colliery yard. 'Puffing Billy' was always about. I never thought to take any pics. I now understand they had several engines. One that I recall had what I believe were called 'panier' tanks along the boiler casing at mid height.  It was green and had a red nameplate which I think said Bestwood Colliery, but could never quite see as was too distant.  Malcolm Casteldine's Book 'Railways North of Nottm etc. (Available from Book Law) shows a saddle tank engine called 'Valerie' at Bestwood in 1964.

Col

• Upvote 2

'Fraid I don't Benj.

I went in for a swift half one lunchtime maybe 5 years ago and there was a woman serving.  Only two or three others in, but one said he used to be friends with my Grandparents.  Place was closed for a couple of years before being converted to flats I think.

Col