Were you scared/fascinated by local characters when you were a kid.?

I remember a bloke they called 'little Harry' when I was growing up in Carlton.he was about 4ft tall I think. Well i was terrified of him,I don't know why.When he had had a few in the nags head he would swing round and put his fists up,never saw him hit anybody though.There was also a cross eyed woman in the next street to us ,I was frightened of her as well.(kids don't realise that people can't help being smaller than normal,or cross eyed)aren't kids awful sometimes.

• Upvote 1

Only Albert Brown who my dad warned me about when I began going in town as a teenager.

In later life, I've had a severe aversion to people of a small nature. There's a glut of them in films over the last few years such as Lord of the Rings and Star Wars etc. There's even some presenting tv programmes recently. I'm sorry if anyone is offended but I find it off putting.

Years ago, I was in the Haven at Whatton on a Friday evening having a meal of steak and trimmings. A few minutes later a couple with a poor young girl in a wheelchair came in and sat opposite me. The girl looked as though she suffered from cerebral palsy and I had great sympathy for them all. The parents got her a portion of apple & blackberry crumble and cream. Well I cannot describe the scene as it was too horrendous to repeat. The crumble was everywhere except where it should have been. Most of it came pouring out of her mouth and ran down her front. I wouldn't dare have moved for fear of embarrassing the parents. Believe me I empathised with them but I was extremely embarrassed by it all.

There was a woman I saw regularly down the Medders when visiting my Granny ....... she didn't have a nose, just 2 holes in her face. She scared me! And 2 neighbours across the road from us in Arnold (not related) who were always staggering home drunk. They frightened me too.

No nose !! How did she smell?

There were a couple of dogs that lived a few doors down the road from us and they were prone to go for you if out alone. On one occasion one of 'em saw a group of us kids playing on the Green and it came through the gap in the railings and came straight for me. So not being able to get out of its way I gave it an uppercut. It felt good to me as I rattled its jaw.

• Upvote 1

Went to the Gaumont( on my own) always liked watching cinema films on me Todd..save for an everlasting toffee strip!

Anyhoo- Doctor Sin character and the film, filled both criteria of this thread.

Scary but fascinating - PC 'Tug' Wilson. Huge man. I once saw him deal with a couple of drunks outside of Yates' Wine Lodge - clearly, you tangled with him at your peril. As a teenager, I used to gather with my friends in the Square before heading off to one of the clubs. We'd often get a little rowdy but everyone suddenly gained a sense of decorum as he strolled past. He wasn't resented but respected - a good old-fashioned copper.

• Upvote 4

I was scared of big chimney's - ie: Pit Chimney's and those chimney's that were on the top of old terraced house kitchen/washouses back in the 50's............

My sister was frightened to death when I use to taunt her with a pheasant feather.

l think a lot of people are scared of clowns,I know I am,I nearly s#%t myself when I saw the film IT

I'm glad I don't live in the place where a man was hanging around dressed as a clown ,I think it was Northhampton.

When I was very young I used to be taken to meet my granddad at work on Middle Furlong Road down the Meadows. The sound of steam locos lifting their safety valves terrified me so much that on one occasion I legged it so fast it took them ages to catch me. I love them now. The only other thing that terrified me was my mum when I'd been up to no good.

Interestingly when I lived in Glasgow there was an old chap living in the flat next door who was unable to talk. He just made weird noises. All the local kids were terrified of him but he was probably the nicest bloke on the street. My wife used to make him his Sunday Dinner.

• Upvote 2

I was so terrified of the twig man in Rupert the Bear stories I wouldn't let my children read them.

There was a woman who lived near us when I was about 7 who had a pet fox, all the kids were convinced she was a witch and we used to run hell for leather past her house. She had a cat before the fox, so we were convinced she had used magic to turn the cat into a fox! Poor woman was probably very nice but we weren't taking any chances.....

• Upvote 3