Some memories which cover late 50's and early 60's.

Relating to recentish posts on Clifton All Whites and David Pleat.

David Pleat lived on Farnborough Road (no 10 or thereabouts) and I went to Mundella School with him.

The nearest I got to playing football at his level was in the School team, I cannot recall him playing for

any team at Clifton.

As I have mentioned before, I played for a Youth team 1962 - 64 (Clifton Y.C. who were based at the Youth Club that was opposite

St. Francis Church and we played Home games in the Notts Youth League at Farnborough Road.

I was a pupil at Brinkhill  and somewhere in the household archives I have a photo of myself and a few other pupils (none of the names I can remember, apart from John Ingram??)  plus a teacher, I think was Miss Wright, taken at Harvest Festival in the mid 50's.

At Brinkhill, I managed by some incredible piece of luck to pass the 11 plus exam to get to Mundella in 1957 and remember the very long

queues of traffic  as we were on the Bus towards Wilford and Trent Bridge in the days before Clifton Bridge was built....  Soon learnt to get off at Wilford Corner and walk to school across Toll Bridge... it was quicker than staying on the bus!    Did the reverse journey back home, sometimes

calling in at my Grandparents who lived in the Meadows, opposite the Toll Bridge gates, next to the Wilford Road Number 40 / 47 Trolley Bus Terminus.

This was  very convenient in my latter school days when Clifton Bridge was opened to traffic, as the NCT Clifton Bus virtually stopped outside, as it travelled from the  Broad Marsh bus station down Queens Drive  (now called Queens Walk and the tram route) en route to Clifton.

Seem to recall at that time that there were three different Companies operating buses from Clifton... City Transport,  South Notts and West Bridgford 

U.D.C. (They were painted in a brown / cream colour) .... Clear memories of running to catch the bus which had moved off from the stop by

jumping onto the open rear entrance and being told off by the Conductor...  difficult when carrying a school satchel stuffed with Homework books which should have been completed overnight.

Both my younger brothers went to Fairham School, one of them being a fairly regular contributor to Nottstalgia.

Sorry to have strayed from the original topic, but I thought I would relate them as I remembered.

• Upvote 3
  • 4 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We moved from Sneinton to Clifton around '52. We moved into a brand new house that was barely finished. The roads weren't even finished, just cinder hardcore. I remember we had no coke (coal not allow

Now I never said I was an angel,but even this stunt was low,when I was about 8 or 9 me mam sent me to church on Sundays (Sunday school) now I dint like proper school but me mam perhaps thought I could

Right, a little story about how I got me first two wheeled bike,as I said in a previous post the two brothers down the road had a two wheeled bike,it was a girls bike with rod operated brakes,pump up

Posted Images

Ayup folks, i have just joined up after finding this. I lived on Rivergreen 1953 to 68 went to Fairham comp 61-68 there is a website called " Fairham memories" if you didn't know already, with all the kids names on who ever went there. Many fond memories of the place. I had a demon trolley in the early 60's. If you knew me you might remember my nickname....

9 hours ago, wishbone said:

Ayup folks, i have just joined up after finding this. I lived on Rivergreen 1953 to 68 went to Fairham comp 61-68 there is a website called " Fairham memories" if you didn't know already, with all the kids names on who ever went there. Many fond memories of the place. I had a demon trolley in the early 60's. If you knew me you might remember my nickname....

As a fellow Rivergreen person 1953-1970, thanks for the school link.

As another Clifton person, Rivergreen seems to be the centre of attention at the moment.

I have just been contacted on Facebook by someone who lived on Rivergreen, who I knew during my time at Greencroft Infants & Junior Schools. She saw something I'd posted on one of the Nottm FB pages, and remembered/recognised me after a gap of 50 years.

Kev, she wouldn't recognise you from your avatar on here - you pink panther, you!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Re the demon trolley. Wishbone was an adventurous boy. I remember him breaking his leg when he was six or seven and being brought in by his mother to Greencroft Infants  in a wheelchair and sitting in front of us in the hall looking uncomfortable. I don't think he ever spoke but he was very impressive! Then he had his appendix - oh, never mind!

• 8 months later...

My First Post please bear with me if it turns up in the wrong place.   Doing an archeological dig in my loft, came across some Clifton photo's of the mid 50's, School, Greencroft infants and Juniors. (My ex seat of learning) and 56th Clifton St Mary's cubs 1956/57.    Just to see how it goes I've attached one photo. More to follow soon.

This photo taken circa late June 1957. As there was a International Scout Jamboree at  Sutton Coldfield a group of German Scouts visited the cubs and each family were allocated a guest(s) to tea. (Don't mention the war! we were warned)  Photo taken on the Maypole, Shelley Ave, green. Akela, Mrs Marriot lived on the Maypole. 

56 St Marys Clifton cubs abt 1957.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia Mr Meeseeks. I'm sure you'll enjoy the site

Cliff Ton is bound to be interested in your memories and photos, although I think it's a tad before his time. Keep posting! Makes interesting reading.

Thanks for the Wecome Jill Sparrow.

Spent a few years going to 56th St Marys cubs from about 55 to abt 58. It was held at the Old Clifton Village School and at the time looked as though it was the same the day it was opened along with the pot bellied stoves and the roofless (?) outside toilets.   Learning to tie knots and reciting Cub laws and promises, very boring but it was a requirement of being a cub.  As was taking part in games....British Bulldog! great game, if you came out of it with a couple of bruises and scuffed kneecaps you were doing well.

Not sure if it was the first cub group in Clifton.

Then there was Bob-a-Job.  Could make an extra 6d selling the stickers for 1/6d (7.5p) to people who got sick of cubs door knocking.  Get someone to sign your card to say your job had been done. 1/- (5p) to the cubs and 6d sellers commission. Still managed to get Top Jobber with 17/6d. Won a book.

Vaguely remember the trip to the Scout Jamboree at Sutton Coldfield.  We all went on the train, it rained all the way and for a while when we walked to Sutton Park, seemed miles and took hours, or so it seemed.  

Mrs Marriot was the Akela and her son Philip was the senior cub and bossed everyone around. Cannot remember names of who else were in the pack.

Thats it for now. 

• Like 3
On 7/10/2018 at 5:58 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Welcome to Nottstalgia Mr Meeseeks. I'm sure you'll enjoy the site

Cliff Ton is bound to be interested in your memories and photos, although I think it's a tad before his time. Keep posting! Makes interesting reading.

A tad indeed .... you're right about the timescale involved. But I did go to Greencroft Infants and Juniors; and Shelley Avenue was nearby (where Melissa's dad lived) so there's definitely a link.

Hi Cliff Ton,   Reading through some of your posts and Jill Sparrows, the names of Ray and Kath Hurst were mentioned.  I remember  Rays Esso Tanker parked on Brinkhill, in the direction of Sunninghill at the bottom of Woodbridge overnight.  Don't think it would go down too well these days.

Just to keep you guessing. Ray was very understanding when my football used to land on the bonnet of his car. Might have been a Ford or an Hillman, Black long bonnet similar to a Ford Pop'.  Used to spend more time under Rays car than Ray did. Retreiving my ball.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I had no idea he used to bring the tanker home! Ray was our next door neighbour's son in law. He was originally from Louth in Lincolnshire and married Kathleen Brainsby who was my mum's best friend and neighbour. Kath and Ray had two boisterous boys, Timothy and Nicholas, so were probably used to footballs flying everywhere. I think Ray was also a union rep.He started out as a market gardener in Lincolnshire.

Both Kath and Ray passed on a few years ago, after retiring to Scarborough. I remember going to visit them at Clifton when I was a child.

13 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Ray was very understanding when my football used to land on the bonnet of his car. Might have been a Ford or an Hillman, Black long bonnet similar to a Ford Pop'.  Used to spend more time under Rays car than Ray did. Retreiving my ball.

So you lived on Woodbridge ?

I'd forgotten about "bringing the tanker home" but Jill Sparrow mentioned in an earlier post which reminded me, and I definitely saw that happen back in the day.

• Like 1

I did live on Woodbridge, I personally left Woodbridge in the mid 60's but the family resided there until my mother moved into a care home in 2003. I have all the council documentation from the day it was allocated to my parents as a brand new property. I'll dig out the Do's and Don'ts and report back.  Can also list the original early occupants if its of interest.  I know we had a small lidded galvanised bucket for Pig Swill.  No idea why but it was collected. Old food scraps, peelings etc.   Think its now called compost.   The Council Housing Inspector used to drive around in a Ford Pop with the City coat of arms on the door and would on occasions check to see if the tenants were complying.

Scraping through my memory cells the brick houses on Failsworth that backed onto Woodbridge were still being built.  1951/2. As was Shelley Av. Seemed as though Wimpeys had finished the concrete houses first.   My mother always said that she was glad we didn't have a back-front house. ( Kitchen facing the front of the house, "didn't seem right some how")   What I can recollect they were each end of Woodbridge and a couple in the middle.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

OutWork:

Resuming life on Woodbridge Ave in the late 50's. My mother and a few other mothers on Woodbridge and a few on Brinkhill would scratch a few pennies by doing "Outwork". This consisted of folding lace trimmed ladies hankies and putting them into presentation boxes. Some were more decorative than others, they would consist of a plastic flower and a number of hankies usually two or three, all placed attractively in a clear plastic casket. The job description sounds easy enough but the chaos to domestic bliss was somewhat challenged.   Looking back on it there were some lighter moments, not many just some.

Mrs Withers a pleasant lady, who lived at No 43 coordinated between Simon May Co and her band of "folders".   The "folders" would go across to see Mrs Withers and pick up their next quota.  This is where the fun started.

Number of boxes to be filled any where between 10 and 200 (often more). These had to be carried across the road often without outer boxes.  This is where the family came in, as there was so much stuff the more available help, the quicker the transfer to your house was. All dumped in the back room, but not in the shed. Then came the hankies, loads of them, a pot of adhesive that resembled Pritstick, but in a jar, rolls of sellotape, pins by the thousand. Coloured papers for the back ground, rolls of ribbon.  The hours you worked were upto the individual, but just as encouragement you were given a dead line to get your completed boxes back.  Just for added stress another priority job would be given with the same deadline date.  Wonderful.

The folders had to fold the bows to the approved Simon and May way   The folding room was the front room, it was the only place left to work. First thing you noticed was the carpets started sprouting pins, easy to drop but hard to find. White cotton threads everywhere.  The work meant the folder would spend hours folding one hankie using one type of fold then another using type of fold sticking them in a box along with a plastic flower all securely pinned and sellotaped in.  Oh! the pritstick stuff was for sticking the back ground coloured paper in.  All this for a bit more money coming in which ranged from 3d (1.5p) per box to about 6d (5p) for the more intricate boxes.    Once your quota was complete, the boxes were carried back across the road to await the Simon May wagon to pick them up.    Any excess materials had to be returned except pins, pritstick stuff and sellotape as these were standard to all jobs.

It did have its lighter side, All the family were involved when my mother had to put headscarves onto 1000 inflatable ducks.  As we had heathy lungs we were inflating them faster than mother could fold, hence the back room was full of ducks.  The challenge came getting them back across the road.   It brought extra cash in but the hours were long and the pay per hour amounted to slave labour but the folders had a choice and a few pence back in the day counted.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

The history of Woodbridge in the 50's/ very early 60's continued.   

Anyone remember the Football Post man?  from about 1958 into the early 60's every Saturday evening from the first match of the season to the last, at round about 7 to half past you would hear the call "Football!  Football Post!"echo through the early evening air come rain, snow or shine.  He was and old chap or so he appeared, thin, and carried his bundle of Football Posts (FP) under his arm whilst walking briskly on his round.  As far as I can remember he would come along Failsworth, then cut through to Woodbridge then off in the direction of Brinkhill. If on the odd occasion we missed his call he would pop a copy through the door and we'd pay him the following week and he'd get a tip at Christmas

1959 the Saturday Forest won the cup he was sold out of FP but knocked on our door, he'd saved us a copy. Looked after his regulars. He carried on for a year or so after this, then we never heard his cries of "Football! Football Post" again.   The strange thing we never knew his name, where he lived or what became of him.  Can anyone put a name to him?  where he lived, or what became of him. Does anyone else remember him?      

• Like 2