The days are getting longer, Spring is nearly sprung and the familiar chimes of the ice-cream vans are starting to appear. Growing up in the 1950's we enjoyed many seasonal delights but the thing I loved the most was the home-made ice-cream van which toured the Broxtowe/Aspley estates in the summer.

Thing is- I can't recall the name of the vendor but think it was made in Commercial Road Bulwell.

Can anyone help? Also, where is the the best locally made ice-cream these days?

Roll on summer.

I think the manufacturer / vendor is mentioned in another topic, but sadly I can't remember.

Someone will come up with it though.

Suttons, I'm certain that is the one.

Best ice cream I had as a lad used to be from either Seven Mile house on the way to Mansfield or the little shop in Crich justhe down from what is now the tram museum.

• Upvote 1

I will always remember the delicious Banana flavour ice cream cones you could buy from the little shop (now long gone) in Ratcliffe on Soar, years before the Power Station was built.

An afternoon fishing in the Soar followed by a swim and finally the banana ice cream before cycling back home to Nottingham.

My Mr Softee's were fantastic. No dilution whatsoever.

Since this is "Nottstalgia" may I mention "Wharton's Dairy" on High Street Arnold. A small family run dairy that produced fantastic ice cream throughout the summer months until the late 1960s or thereabouts..

• 9 months later...
On 11/03/2016 at 10:15 PM, Enigma. said:

was it Suttons Ice Creams ? their premises were on coventry road , bulwell where the spot on club is now

The old icecream shop was next to Rufford school enterance we moved in when they shut, remember having all the freezers still in the out house at the back

I 've forgotten what english icecream tastes like. Yesterday I bought some Hagendas salted caramel icecream and then found my FAVOURITE.   :wub: Licorice. First time I've seen it in a supermarket. Not many gelateries sell it but if you see it there try it ....its yummy

• 1 year later...

Picked up a large tub of Creme Brûlée ice cream in Lidls today. It's sickly, over sweet, very sticky, ultra fattening, moorish, addictive and..........ABSOLUTELY  BLEDDY GORGEOUS !  Yes, more is on the cards !

• Like 1

As much as I loathe Tesco's, I'm naturally drawn to anything fudgey or toffeeish. Next time ! 

I loathe Tesco's too, FLY2, but I have a cat who will not use anything except their bog...no pun intended...standard cat litter! How she knows mystifies me but she does. Spotted the buns early one morning en route to work, which is the only time I ever go in.

• Upvote 1