What an utterly fascinating piece, thanks for sharing carni. I have found out lots that I never knew. As I live in Calverton I will use this guide to take photos when I'm on one of my cycling ' expeditions '. ( Who knew George Gilbert Scott had an hand in the restoration of St Mary's church in 1868 because I didn't...! ).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Haven't read it all but very interesting . Never knew about how the name of Burton Joyce came about .

Named after a Norman lord called Robert de Jorz de Bertune . Bertune or Berthune being an old English name for fortification .

Now situated near the font in the NE corner of the nave is the effigy of a knight in armour believed to be of Sir Robert de Jort, a 14th Century Lord of the Manor (whose family gave the village its second name). He was Sheriff of Nottingham in 1331 and may have been responsible for the enlarging of the church

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Well done Carni! I was on a flying visit to Nottingham over the bank holiday weekend, and managed to see the Bestwood pit-head (new to me), the Ruddington frameknitters' museum (on the to-do list for years), and Papplewick in steam - totally magnificent!

• Upvote 1

I thought I would have another read up on the link I added on post one; but I keep getting this message 'Failed to load PDF document'. Is anyone else having a problem? It was quite interesting and I would enjoy another look at the site if anyone can help me get it back.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't know about those Park Drives, Carni.  I used to smoke 'em back in the day before I quit.  It was like smoking old rope.:biggrin:   Few weeks of them and you'd have a fall of soot.  LOL.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Some people will have seen this already because I posted it on a FB page, but it fits here as well.

This is Burton Road, Gedling, at the junction with Shearing Hill. The house on the left is still there, but now with many extensions; and the house on the right is still there but without all the chimneys.

9OcaAJA.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Other side of the bridge is our school on the left.  Same railway line but different bridge.   If you’d managed to go to the reunion the other week Margie, you probably would have got your bearings right with the photo! 

• Like 1

Just under the bridge on the right is Florence Rd. I had an aunt who lived down there. Just a little snippet from my memory box. Every sun/mon dad would take us to see her . We were on a mission. Her pet name was 'Auntie Drippin' and as they didn't eat any fats, she would save all the drippin' from her sunday roast for her favourite brother 'My dad'. Sorry to say, having six kids, he didn't get much of a look in!

On the very cold Boxing Day in 1966, my intended husband/ best man and friends all who had travelled from W-ton for our 11am wedding at Gedling Church, went to change into their wedding gear at aunties on Florence Rd.

Drippin' not on the menu that day.:biggrin:

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I think I understand it now... it is more years than I care to remember since I walked to school!!  I thought it didn't look quite as I remembered it and now I look again, Shearing Hill should have been on the right  before the bridge if it was Wood Lane....  (is that right?)

I wish I could have gone to the reunion, Lizzie... by the time it's the next one, my eyes will possibly not be good enough to appreciate it... but of course, I may be wrong about that... hope so.

Guy I went to school with bought the house to the right of the bridge.  He was a carpenter / joiner.  He ran his own business from there. It may have been 'Wm Wood joiners'  Good name for a joiner when you think about it.  I don't know if he's still there now.  We lost touch years ago.  He is my age so I would expect he retired years ago assuming he is still alive.