carni

Gedling Heritage Guide

Gibbo 04    182

What an utterly fascinating piece, thanks for sharing carni. I have found out lots that I never knew. As I live in Calverton I will use this guide to take photos when I'm on one of my cycling ' expeditions '. ( Who knew George Gilbert Scott had an hand in the restoration of St Mary's church in 1868 because I didn't...! ).

• Upvote 1

DAVIDW    1,045

Haven't read it all but very interesting . Never knew about how the name of Burton Joyce came about .

Named after a Norman lord called Robert de Jorz de Bertune . Bertune or Berthune being an old English name for fortification .

Now situated near the font in the NE corner of the nave is the effigy of a knight in armour believed to be of Sir Robert de Jort, a 14th Century Lord of the Manor (whose family gave the village its second name). He was Sheriff of Nottingham in 1331 and may have been responsible for the enlarging of the church

• Upvote 1

loppylugs    4,781

Thanks Carni. Bookmarked and looking forward to an interesting read later.

• Upvote 1

banjo48    888

Thanks from me too Carni, just read through it all, some very interesting info.

• Upvote 1

LongJohn    15

Well done Carni! I was on a flying visit to Nottingham over the bank holiday weekend, and managed to see the Bestwood pit-head (new to me), the Ruddington frameknitters' museum (on the to-do list for years), and Papplewick in steam - totally magnificent!

• Upvote 1

carni    7,209

I thought I would have another read up on the link I added on post one; but I keep getting this message 'Failed to load PDF document'. Is anyone else having a problem? It was quite interesting and I would enjoy another look at the site if anyone can help me get it back.

Cliff Ton    5,471

I get the same result carni.    It looks like whoever put the PDF there has now removed it !

• Upvote 1

carni    7,209

Thank you for checking Cliff Ton. It is a shame, because judging by the last few posts; it was a good link.

Nottarian    10

It looks like the whole site is turned off at the moment , so will probably appear again later .....

• Upvote 1

carni    7,209

For anyone who was interested in the link that I added on post no1, which disappeared for a while, it seems to be up and running again. Another chance to have a browse.

• Like 1