Stand out memories

At 55 years of age I got to thinking, what are some of the most memorable occurrences that I witnessed in Nottm:

About 1973 ten elephants trudged from Castle Boulevard up to the Forest,the traffic jams were never before seen!

Going to the Elvis meeting in the Palais shortly after his death( Tristam Shandy) posters everywhere!

Witnessed the thugs of Nottm riots in 1979!

The Army on the Forest giving free rides in Wessex Seakings!

Holding the European Cup in Camelot Nightclub!

Standing with the Station Master as he closed Victoria Station doors in 1967!

Standing transfixed on The Fresh Evidence Tour of Rory Gallagher!

Anyone wish to share theirs?

The year the Royal Show was held in Wollaton Park. My mum said the Queen would be there and she was but I was very disappointed as she was wearing a pink hat and not a crown or a cloak like in the coronation photos! That day I lost interest in royalty!

Much more exciting was being in the crowd in the city to see the Nottingham Forest team bring the FA cup home. I have never been a football fan but this was a great day for the players, the club and the city.

I was disappointed when Princess Elizabeth and her fiancé came to Nottingham. They`d been going on about this Prince Philip and then they started talking about the Prince Consort and I thought she`d packed Philip in.

The return of the F A Cup was probably the greatest highlight for me (up to now!!)

• Upvote 1

Forest getting promoted under Cloughie, then Div 1champions . Subsequently European Champions twice.

Rory Gallagher Defender Tour at Rock City. Without a shadow of a doubt, the best gig I've ever seen.

Meeting my ex. Leaving my ex.

Stand out memories of Nottingham ........the night Burton and Taylor gave a poetry reading at the playhouse, the eclectic mix of people who frequented the old market square, Burtons arcade at Xmas, skating on the university lake in the winter of 63, Paul Smith opening his first shop on Byard lane, and Roxy Rob in Hockley, the changing music scene that has always played a big part in my life from the carpetbaggers to Cisco , tindersticks to Harleyblu, the swines to Natalie Duncan and not forgetting Tristram Shandy who rocked the Palais back in the day and are still going strong .......

We all have and share the same memories ( too many to mention ) and hopefully they will " keep on running " to quote a band who had one of their first gigs here in Nottingham

• Upvote 6

Dancing Slipper I believe Chrissie. 2/6 to get in. They were late arriving as they had, by all accounts had to wait for Stevie Winwood to leave school.

Right, cool spot indeed. LOL

Granddad taking me to Trent Bridge Cricket about 1950

Uncle John taking me to watch Forest v Clyde about 1950

Seeing Forest with the FA cup Slab Square 1959

Teenbeat Tuesday nights Locarno 1960

First Job Midland Station 1960

Meeting my first real love Bodega 1963

Getting beat-up on Clumber street 1961

And so many more thru the years,.......this all made me realise that these early stand-out events in Nottingham set the pattern for the next 50 odd years ............Work...Sport.....Falling in love.....getting slapped a bit.....enjoyed it all......lol.

• Upvote 4

Coleman's

Hanford's

The Palais.

Sounds like I enjoyed dancing. I didn't! It was just a means to an end. :-) it worked too.

Thankfully never got beat up though. What happened, Ben. Didn't they like your tie?

• Upvote 2

There were so many but included in them would be;

Building and firing up my first car a 6 cyl. 1933 Wolsey Hornet.......it worked.... Wow!

A particular afternoon strolling along the Trent embankment with my girlfriend of the time she brought with her a tranny radio and I seem to remember "Concrete and Clay" by Unit 4 plus 2 playing at a particularly evocative moment - the strolling bit was over!

L Shaped Room in 1966 winning at Kukan early one morning against some good card players. I won more money in that game than I had ever had in my hot stickies.......... It took about a week to come down to earth.

Geno Washington at the Brit.

• Upvote 1

Geno Washington at the Brit was amazing, saw him again 40 years later......still as good ...

Isn't it funny that as members recall their standout memories, others are reminded of them too ?

I think that many of us were at the same gigs and the same places , unaware that years later we would link up by these said times.

• Upvote 3

The Who at the Britannia club, can't remember the date, but must have been early or mid 60's .

#12 Saw Geno Washington and the Ram jam band at Beachcomber while working there, great band.

Having a beer with Georgie Fame and the blue flames before his show, too at the Beachcomber.

Isle of White pop festival.

Getting a lift while hitchhiking in europe in 65, from Antwerp to Munich by a US special forces GI, picking his brand new Mustang up from the docks. He wouldn't let my mate and I pay for a thing on the journey South.

• Upvote 1

#10 Loppy

Don't think it was my Tie Loppy'............its because if i think someones 'out of order' i tend to tell em..........i'm a bit stupid that way......LOL.

• Upvote 1

During the 1950s and 60s one of the Bank Holidays, can't remember which, there was a regular fixture at Trent Bridge. It was Notts Vs Surrey and each year my dad's pal came to Nottingham from Burton, where he worked in one of the breweries and we all went down to the match for the day.

Just looked and here's the scorecard for one of those matches. Notts actually won this one by 28 runs! If you look at the players you will see a few famous names in there:

County Championship, 1961
Nottinghamshire v Surrey
Trent Bridge, Nottingham
20,22,23 May 1961 (3-day match)

Result: Nottinghamshire won by 28 runs
Toss: Nottinghamshire
Umpires: R Aspinall and DJ Wood

Close of play:

• Day 1:
  • Day 2:Nottinghamshire 1st innings
    NW Hill c & b Loader 8
    *JD Clay c Lock b Gibson 71
    HM Winfield c Barrington b Lock 22
    RT Simpson c Edrich b Willett 27
    CJ Poole c Parsons b Willett 59
    JD Springall c Barrington b Willett 0
    +G Millman c Swetman b Gibson 40
    C Forbes b Loader 17
    IJ Davison not out 10
    BD Wells c Parsons b Gibson 17
    RP Oakden c Lock b Loader 2
    Extras (b 1, lb 1, w 1, nb 2) 5
    Total (all out, 96.4 overs) 278

FoW: 1-14, 2-73, 3-115, 4-186, 5-190,
    6-191, 7-245, 8-251, 9-268, 10-278.

Bowling O M R W
    Loader 23.4 6 66 3
    Gibson 24 6 65 3
    Willett 14 2 39 3
    Lock 23 4 75 1
    Bedser 12 4 28 0

Surrey 1st innings
    *MJ Stewart c Oakden b Davison 0
    JH Edrich c Millman b Oakden 63
    KF Barrington c Poole b Davison 75
    B Constable b Wells 16
    MD Willett b Davison 73
    ABD Parsons c Winfield b Forbes 12
    +R Swetman b Forbes 24
    GAR Lock not out 12
    Extras (b 4, lb 1, w 1) 6
    Total (7 wickets declared, 96.1 overs) 281

DNB: EA Bedser, D Gibson, PJ Loader.

FoW: 1-2, 2-96, 3-130, 4-170, 5-198, 6-268, 7-281.

Bowling O M R W
    Davison 25 5 86 3
    Oakden 27 4 83 1
    Forbes 20.1 3 65 2
    Wells 24 10 41 1

Nottinghamshire 2nd innings
    NW Hill c Stewart b Loader 7
    *JD Clay c Swetman b Bedser 63
    HM Winfield c Barrington b Lock 32
    RT Simpson not out 100
    CJ Poole c Barrington b Loader 27
    JD Springall b Gibson 54
    +G Millman not out 5
    Extras (b 1, lb 3, nb 1) 5
    Total (5 wickets declared, 103 overs) 293

DNB: C Forbes, IJ Davison, BD Wells, RP Oakden.

FoW: 1-15, 2-104, 3-104, 4-142, 5-275.

Bowling O M R W
    Loader 18 4 58 2
    Gibson 9 3 25 1
    Willett 4 1 10 0
    Lock 38 9 86 1
    Bedser 28 8 78 1
    Barrington 6 1 31 0

Surrey 2nd innings (target: 291 runs)
    *MJ Stewart b Davison 3
    JH Edrich b Forbes 51
    KF Barrington c Poole b Forbes 47
    B Constable c Springall b Wells 37
    MD Willett c Poole b Forbes 4
    ABD Parsons c Clay b Wells 37
    GAR Lock c Poole b Wells 43
    +R Swetman b Wells 30
    EA Bedser st Millman b Davison 5
    D Gibson c Millman b Davison 0
    PJ Loader not out 0
    Extras (lb 5) 5
    Total (all out, 66.1 overs) 262

FoW: 1-4, 2-103, 3-104, 4-116, 5-164,
    6-211, 7-234, 8-256, 9-262, 10-262.

Bowling O M R W
    Davison 15.1 2 70 3
    Oakden 12 0 57 0
    Forbes 12 1 35 3
    Wells 27 6 95 4
  • Upvote 1

16yrs old and hands inside the blouse on a sunny afternoon in the grass down by the Trent beyond the Lady Bay railway bridge, when all of a sudden a loud voice shouted "I'll bet your balls are like pickled onions, mate!" I looked up and it was a group of young lads (10-12yrs old-ish) on the Meadow Lane side of the river. The little barstewards spoilt my chances that day!

One occasion when I was in the Cubs there was a Boy Scouts parade in Daybrook; it would be about 1959/60. The band was playing a tune that haunted me for the next 25years until I finally heard it again, quite by chance, in a folk club. It turned out to be an old folk tune called "Rakes of Mallow".

Compo, I remember that song from when we did 'country dancing ' at school, but having read the lyrics I think the teachers probably weren't aware of them!!

• Upvote 1

#17 Compo

Interesting Surrey team that day Compo,

M.Stewart............Dad of Alec

J.Edrich............great opening bat,one of famous Edrich brothers from Norfolk

K.Barrington...........another stalwart of England,known as the British Bull-dog by the Aussies

R.Swetman........another England player,wicket-keeper,later played for Notts

A.Lock..........left arm spinner,emigrated to Australia,spent some time in prison there.

J.Laker.........Yorkshireman,famous for taking 19 wickets against Australia in 1956

P.Loader........England fast bowler,suspected of chucking.

A.Bedser........great seam bowler,brother Eric also played for Surrey,Alec went on to become England chairman of selectors

• Upvote 1

I can't even remember what I did last week, let alone 50 years back...

Was one thing come to mention it, England won West Germany in the world cup 50 years ago this year, I watched most matches at a G/F I had back then.

A Girl Friend..

• Upvote 1