Who should we have a future Statue of in Nottingham?

I was just wondering if you kind folks in Nottingham had any plans to remember Alvin Lee's passing in a monument sort of way? Giving respect to your local music hero who rocked the world over, but never forgot his roots. It would just seem fitting and proper in his memory!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apropos statues, the pulling down thereof, and the offence some people like to take (as mentioned in the joke thread) I would like to propose that every building associated with Thomas Forman, the pri

Life size statue of Tug Wilson overlooking his beat on the Market Square. Might remind folk to behave.

Torville and Dean!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess it answers that question. Sorry I asked. I expected a lot more respect for the two men that put Nottingham on the map. Alvin Lee and Robin Hood.....

Or Jesse Boot , John Player, Catherine and William Booth, Messrs. Woodhead, Angois and Ellis, Frank Bowden, Richard Beckinsale, et al

I'd hazard a guess that more people in the country have heard of them, and know what they did, than knew about Alvin Lee.

Ah but Mr Clough wasn't born in Nott'm

(PSSST I don't know whether you've noticed, but there is already a statue to him!!)

I'm with you re Alan Sillitoe Lizzie.

• 2 years later...

I went to the same school as Alvin he was about 6 years older than me and was a legend in the school even then . It seems sad that all of the above people couldn't have been recognised by the City . Not all with a statue obviously but may be a plaque

• Upvote 1

Sue Pollard too.

Stella Rimmington, head of MI5 Not bad for a Nottingham Gel.

The list of Nottingham born "famous" people is massive, I wouldn't dream of setting any order of importance, except to say there are many VC winner's on the list who I would put at the top, followed by the rest.

Albert Ball. Nottinghamshires greatest ever hero.

Met Alvin's Dad, but was also taught English by Stanley Middleton, Bulwell born novelist, organist, teacher and Booker Prize winner.

Col

• Upvote 1

Alvin attended Margaret Glen Bott didn't he?

There has been recent talk about having a statue of Alan Sillitoe in Nottingham.

Lots of other places in the UK seem to have plenty of these, celebrating local heroes, authors, famous people etc.

We already have Robin Hood, Brian Clough, Queen Victoria etc, but who do you think is worthy of a Statue in Nottingham (any period)

Smiffy

You must be joking Rob!

Every 100 yards Canal-side of London road from Trent Bridge to Station street ,..........Footballer- Cricketer statues,something like...........

Tommy Lawton............Reg Simpson...........Jack Burkett...........Harold Larwood............Bob Mckinaly............Derik Randall..................Joe Baker...........

Reckon it would look really good..........and a lasting tribute to Nottinghams great sporting past.........and hopefully future....................

• Upvote 2