Who should we have a future Statue of in Nottingham?

My vote would be for a - long-overdue - statue of the late John Neville, placed in the area outside of the Playhouse.

Apart from being a fine actor in his own right, he really put Nottingham on the map in the 60s as far as quality dramatic productions were concerned, and attracted a stream of talented actors to work with him: Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, Peter Ustinov, Ronald McGill, Michael Crawford, Leo McKern, Edward Woodward, T P McKenna, John Shrapnell, Barry Foster, Bill Maynard, Derek Godfrey, Ann Bell...and many more

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apropos statues, the pulling down thereof, and the offence some people like to take (as mentioned in the joke thread) I would like to propose that every building associated with Thomas Forman, the pri

Life size statue of Tug Wilson overlooking his beat on the Market Square. Might remind folk to behave.

Torville and Dean!

Richard Beckinsale or Sue Pollard...someone who made us laugh and brightened our day.

Having said that it will probably be the manager of a local tiddleywink or yo yo team.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sillitoe would be my first choice. It need not be ostentatious. In a street close to Leicester Square in London there is a statue of Charlie Chaplin outside of a stage door. Its not in the square itself, but off a side street. It is more impressive because you dont expect it to be there at all. Its subtle. Possibly a statue of Sillitoe at a bus stop, leaning up against a pub wall, or somewhere banal and ordinary, not in a place of prominence.

Benjamin I am with you on the road of statues. In a flight of fantasy I would like a new Arkwright Street rebuilt with shops and a new (well, old) road connecting Trent Bridge with the city. Lined with statues of course.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Statues can be so touching (as the one of Sirrel and Wheeler,).........somehow the one of Jackie Milburn in Ashington really moved me,when I came across it a few years ago when doing some work up there.

in london there is a tomb to the unknown warrior, everyone knows it, and it is for all the war dead, in Nottingham i think there should be a statue of a person without a face, this to commemorate the true heroes of he city, its own people, workers, leaders, councillors etc. all who have contributed, through the years for the betterment of the city.

Agree Deepdene boy...............at the bottom of Kings Walk or Exchange Walk where he was born or lived...?

Bendigo used to have a statue on top of the Bendigo Pub Sneinton, also there is something dedicated to him on Victoria park.

If any statue's are needed I think it should be statue's of children out side school's. It make you slow down when you see them, if you have never seen any of these statue's then take a drive up to Rise Park. I think when you see them, they do make you slow down and think of children coming out of school.

• Upvote 2

I agree with you as well Mary.............forgot about the Sneinton one,is it still there ? and theone on Victoria park is a lion I believe,and the little statues of kids were a good idea........they have them on Percy street as well................

Different times and situations MD. Who knows how other people would have reacted.

• 1 year later...