Who should we have a future Statue of in Nottingham?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apropos statues, the pulling down thereof, and the offence some people like to take (as mentioned in the joke thread) I would like to propose that every building associated with Thomas Forman, the pri

Life size statue of Tug Wilson overlooking his beat on the Market Square. Might remind folk to behave.

Torville and Dean!

Another idea could be to have inserts set in pavement slabs with the names of the commemorated and their field of enterprise. This is done with the stars on Hollywood Boulevard and at Palm Springs (have a picture of me kneeling by my idol Frankie Laine).  The slabs in the Square would be ideal for this.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Peter Taylor.

• 1 year later...

Agree, burn all books and wipe the Internet.

From this day forth;

All statues to be removed and destoyed.

All roads to redesiganted with a number.

All plaques with names on to be removed.

All buildings with persons names on to be de-named.

All Grand Historic buildings to be demolished as they were most likely paid for by Industrialists, Merchants and / or Traders all of whom will have employed Men, Women and Children of all races in appauling conditions.

Oh and that includes Nelson sat up there on his column, he would have had many Press ganged Sailors on his ships.

Not forgetting to scrap Parliament because they passed Acts encouraging Press ganging (another form of slavery) of Men and Boys in the 1700's

All of the above to prevent anyone in the future being offended.

Update Historical records, Yes.

Wipe it out No.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

What about the Roman Emperors who caused the barbaric deaths of hundreds of people, of various colours, in the name of sport ?

What about the Popes of the past who had an army to kill people who disagreed with their religion ?

And are Robert Mugabe and Idy Amin exempt from criticism because they are...………. ?

The world  has gone mad, and we can't complain because  "the staff have been sent home due to the corona virus "

• Like 1

Yeah yo tellum fog...  I want the Colosseum torn down! Trash Hannibal's statue for animal cruelty.  Mount Rushmore with Jefferson and Washington has to go....

When are the French going to apologise for 1066?

May I suggest incinerating the Schools' Mathematics Project? ;)

If there's a statue of Pytagoras anywhere, could someone stick a triangular sandwich in his mouth or, failing that, another convenient orifice? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Don’t blame the French. It was the Normans (north men). In other words, the vikings who had settled in Normandy fighting the vikings who had settled in England, after the English vikings had just finished fighting the other lot of vikings at Stamford Bridge ( the one near York, not the football stadium).

• Like 1

That's right!  It was the Norman conquest.  How could I forget that?  It was drilled into us in school.  I bet they didn't bring any French poodles either.   :biggrin:

Come to think of it I don't think the French have ever beaten us.

4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Come to think of it I don't think the French have ever beaten us.

Oh.. I dunno...  They own half of our Transport Infrastructure.. Waste Management.. etc. etc...  :rolleyes:

Although to be fair.. they do share it with German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Chinese and Japanese interests.....

• Like 2

There is room for debate about how far we 'expunge' references to Slave Owners etc. I tend to agree that completely eradicating history can also eradicate the lessons we need to learn.

However.. too many are using this to divert from the reality that Black and other Ethnic Minority people are routinely abused, discriminated against and killed, by Police Services here and especially in the US.  Let's not also forget Windrush and Grenfell.. which are STILL injustices which remain unresolved.