British Summer Time Begins (or Ends)

No, Summer time, Ian ,but who cares i'm back in Bulwell,  still get confused with this forward/back lark, they even went forward in Spain this morning,didnt know they did it,nearly missed flight, LOL..............totally confused...do France do it ?............apparently Franco' instigated it in Spain   ,just to confuse everyone...........:wacko:     

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At My Age Do I Want The Clocks To Go Forward?

Compo, you're weird! (In a nice way..)

• 5 months later...

April 2018

Looking forward to the new Bowling season (flat green) 

How many member's are still with us, how many teams have merged, due to no new players coming along.

This is my first year when I have not had to wear my water proofs, I have never known games to be cancel because the weather was too hot.

When I first started hum'm about 8 years ago, an old gent said to me read your green and you will be halfway their, the old gent now gone to the big bowling green in the sky, would look at the green's now and just see straw, the amazing thing is that they are still playable although not many will curve with your bowl just a straight run to sit on the jack. 

Sadly we only have a couple of matchers left, you know that the end of the season means  winter will soon be up on us. There is all- ways indoor bowling that you can go to, but to me it's like watching paint dry, you send your bowl and you wait for it to stop, and wait and wait. Most of us bowlers only go indoors to pass winter on. There again some people like it and it's made it to our T.V. screens.

April can't wait for the season to start the only thing is you look around your team and ask your self, who is missing? but we all plod on because as we get older some of us will have to say good by.

It was only last week at the village coffee morning I was asked if I would like to join the local village team,(Bassingham) not got a clue about the rules or anything but have always fancied having a go, the season is nearly over as you say but this team move to Newark indoor bowling for the winter, thinking about it though

Rog

Reading through Mary's 1947's post about British summer time and relating it to her bowling season I thought how many of us relate our sport or interest to the times of the year,ie: football season (autumn through to late spring early summer) cricket (late spring to early autumn) etc not forgeting the fishing season, what do you associate with different times of the year? just out of interest (maybe the mods could put this in a seperate thread if needed)

Rog

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, plantfit said:

Reading through Mary's 1947's post about British summer time and relating it to her bowling season I thought how many of us relate our sport or interest to the times of the year,ie: football season (autumn through to late spring early summer) cricket (late spring to early autumn) etc not forgeting the fishing season, what do you associate with different times of the year? just out of interest (maybe the mods could put this in a separate thread if needed)

Rog

Rog just a little about bowls indoor's is great to get you though the winter, but it is so different to the out door game.

Out doors we play flat green, you play in singles, pair's or trips, you also play in league's and comp's  it is a very comparative game, then you have the one's who cheat!! yes it  doe's happen and if you are really good at bowling they you will be ask to play for the county. I could go on and on.  Go for it.

• Like 1
On 8/26/2018 at 8:42 AM, plantfit said:

It was only last week at the village coffee morning I was asked if I would like to join the local village team,(Bassingham) not got a clue about the rules or anything but have always fancied having a go, the season is nearly over as you say but this team move to Newark indoor bowling for the winter, thinking about it though

Rog

Bowls is for owd people Rog !  smile2

• Like 1

Bowls, tell the under 21 team who play for England ,that it’s for older people. I. DARE YOU

• Like 3
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Fighting talk..Mary that's what it is!

I used to watch it on a sunny day at Bulwell Common.

Now i under stand why you think bowls is always played by the older folk. To be honest most of the young bowls up to 21 play the game indoor's like you see on TV.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Bowls, tell the under 21 team who play for England ,that it’s for older people. I. DARE YOU

I'd rather sit & watch the grass grow !!smile2

When I've seen people playing bowls they are usually the over 70s Sanatogen brigade !

• Like 1
9 hours ago, catfan said:

I'd rather sit & watch the grass grow !!smile2

When I've seen people playing bowls they are usually the over 70s Sanatogen brigade !

If you watch the grass grow this summer you would have been their a long time. So you could have joined in the bowls, that's if the ode uns would let you.

• Like 4

To IAN123 and catfan

BOWLS

What you need!!   To Be

1/    Polite to the members of the other team.

2/    Considerate

3/     Know   when to give Praise

4/     To be very, very  Competitive.

5/    Good at maths as if you are skip you have to add the scores up, and put them on the board. You will also have             to measure yours and the other teams bowls.  Also to add to this you must be honest.

6/     Fit    When you play a game of bowls and it's 18 ends you will walk approx.   0-0559234 miles. also you have to                 carry your bowls, put out and put back equipment,

7/     Sign Language this you must also learn, as you should not shout or use any bad language on the green.

8/    Money    you must be able to buy Bowling Bowls, Shoes, Grey bottoms White Top and don't lets forget Waterproof.

9/ Membership to pay plus you must be accepted by the team member's.

10/ Last but not least!!!!!!!!!!! HAVE A SENSE of HUMOUR.

IAN123 & caftan

I hope you find this useful 

P.S.  sorry not cats allowed on the green.

You don't know what your missing till you try, after all it was good enough for Sir Francis Drake.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, catfan said:

Yes we've had some lovely weather in Bulwell too Mary.

, but no bowls matches around here !!

Just up the road KIMBERLY have a great green and team.

Love all your comments, you won't know if you like bowls or not , till you give it a try. Start in April 2019. If you don't want to take it to serious there are people who just play for fun.

Sorry I must admit that I do like a challenge-------

Just example of one match it was a pairs match 2 players one end 2 the other. When we had finished an end before I had time to check how many bowls were ours, as most of our teams bowls were near the jack , the opposition chap signal to the other end (2 points down,)  meaning we were 2 points up, "just a minute" I said " I want that bowl measuring please".  "you can see it's not in" said the other chap, "but I can ask for a measure"  "you must be blind" said the chap, OK!!  said I "then I will measure myself" , that being the case the chap got down and measure the said bowl. Oh!  "I sure it did not look as close to the jack as that" said he, so I signal 3 to my team mate at the other end. Next end similar  thing happened again!  Sorry by this time I had, had enough "OK"  I said "we will take 3 points but if at the end of the match we are 1 point short of winning the game, I will claim it."   Well he stormed off to the other end and the chap at the other end came down to stand with me. "Now don't take it to heart" the chap said "he's often like that" ." Do not feel sorry for me" I said   "I can give as much as I get, "even more". 

So you see member's I'm no angel.  

PS I'm also good at Cricket

• Like 2