Question?

No, but different generations I'm afraid. Today's heroes are Rooney, Beiber, Cowell etc.....

Where's the likes of Albert Ball, Orde Wingate, Monty ? We've only got Simon Weston that I can think of .

Yes Ian it would seem that way........but i reckon heroic deeds are being carried out every day in this strife filled world......and true hero's carry out the deed and then keep silent about it.........as many of our own family members did in years gone...............

• Upvote 4

I suppose it all depends to some degree on your conception of what constitutes a hero. Acts of bravery, selflessness, possessing a special talent etc.

I have many 'heroes' if you may term them that way, sporting heroes such as Denis Law and Lasse Viren, musicians the likes of Otis Redding and Peter Green and so on, there are admirable literary figures (to me) too such as Oscar Wilde, Dylan Thomas and Byron and then there are the inspirational figures that in my belief are/were a force for good, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr.

It is interesting that some of these people and examples no longer walk among us - but their legacy lives with us and affects our lives.

For me though, my real heroes were my Mother and Father. For their selflessness, courage, principled ways and strength in what were at times life threatening situations. For all they taught me which was much.

I'm going to suggest there are many other Mothers and Fathers out there doing the same for their children, every day, all over the world, doing everything for their children out of selfless love. For that reason alone, yes, we still do live in heroic times.

Good luck to your daughter and her thesis, Ian.

• Upvote 5

The old saying.........'experience is the mother of silence'.........is very apt on this subject.........

• Upvote 2

The crews of lifeboats such as the occupants of the Penlee boat which sank in horrendous seas, or the crews of our fishing fleet who risk their lives every second that they are afloat such as the Gaul. Both incidents many years ago, but still totally ingrained in my mind.

• Upvote 3

Previously there was the triple tragedy whereby Hull lost three trawlers in the space of three weeks.

The Ross Cleveland, St Romanus and the Kingston Peridot were lost north of Iceland in late January, early February 1968.

58 crewmen were lost. Thankfully this could 'never' happen today. These are our real hero's.

58 men from one city within a fortnight or so.

100 years since the Easter Rising..............wrongs have been comitted on both sides of the story of Ireland or Eire,and its sad.I think today the vast majority of both the British and Irish people have no problem with the current situation or any animosity toward each other,indeed most of us in Britain have an Irish family connextion.............However even today there is an element that will never be content with the North/south situation,and i see no resolution.

There is no solution I'm afraid Benjamin. Some people can't forget and forgive.

I HAVE a VERY good friend in Armagh,and i know he will never change............likewise another from south of the border.......

My idea of an Hero'............is someone who is 'scared'.........but still does it..........

• Upvote 1

Some Forest away games were like that Benjamin!