Inward or outward opening back door?

Traditionally, external doors opened inwards for various reasons including:

(1) If the door were unglazed (as most were), a caller wouldn't get clobbered when you open it.

(2) Outward opening would have hinges on the outside - these could be cut hence were less secure.

(3) If it were raining, the door would get wet while open, probably inside as well as outside.

(4) It would be a bit dangerous if there were steps outside (having to reach up to the handle/lock).

Then along came French Windows and patio doors. Plenty of glass, usually at rear of property and not the primary exit - opening outwards became acceptable and even desirable (less intrusion into the room, doors can be propped open).

Today the issues of outward opening are pretty much diminished (glazing, concealed hinges, etc.) so it comes down to personal choice. Each to his own as they say.

Quite Interesting aside: In days gone by (particularly Victorian/Edwardian), modesty dictated that internal doors 'cloaked' the room. This meant they were hung such that on initial opening, only a small part of the room could be seen (i.e. the door knob/latch was close to the corner of the room). Nowadays we'd see this as awkward and wasting space so we'd hang the door from the other jamb so that it opens flat against the side wall. If you have an old house, look for the tell-tale signs where doors have been re-hung the modern way round!

• Upvote 3

I seem to remember reading somewhere that fire regulations say you can't have an outward opening door except a second porch door.

I thought an outward door wood be harder to "kick in".

Then again building regs change all the time.

As you have to go up 2 steps to our back door we've decided on an inward opener for safety reasons, as sooner or later someone would step back to open the door & fall down the steps, especially my daft Brother-in-law when he's had a pint or 6. Thanks for all your views & comments..

The house door, be it front or back should always open inwards, so when welcoming visitors, you make an inward gesture to invite them in. A porch door on the other hand can be either, although an inward door in a small porch restricts your space somewhat. I've had both on porches, but only ever inward house wise.

However, and outward opening door can give an unwelcome in law a bloody nose with some luck.

I'll have to give that idea some consideration. LOL

• Upvote 1

Yes, but once the in laws are in it, then speed it up and shoot them out back into the driveway.

• Upvote 1

An interesting piece of gen from The Engineer (#9) re internal doors opening in such a way as to show little of the room until the person actually walked into the room. I live in a house that was built in 1874 and all the internal doors open that way - now I know why!

I'd love bi folding doors but im indoors does not agree........He's always had short arms and long pockets when it comes to spending money....

Why not have the best of both worlds and fit a revolving door ?

Just leave the door open, or give the cat a key......