Do culinary tastes change with age, or is it just me

A lot of things taste different - tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber and sprouts taste horrible now......it's not age, it's the way it is produced.......

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other thing to bear in mind is that when we were younger, there wasn't as much choice available in food as we have today. My mum was a great cook and we always had 'proper' meals; but it was alwa

I will never understand why anyone would want to sit in a glorified bath (because that's all they are) and talk. The thought gives me the creeps. I would jump a mile if any ones leg touched mine. 

Like Fly I refuse to eat a McDonald after watching a documentary on what goes into a milk shake never mind anything else. I've never been finicky about food but marrying an Italian especially coming i

Blondie #26

I agree it's not age,I don't buy tomatoes often now as they taste awful,my late husband used to grow our lettuce,potatoes,beans,onions,and they tasted wonderful....that was 3years ago so it must be that the ones I buy from the shops are produced differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Wella, whata ya thinka about thisa, ey? Dolmio has justa warned us not to eata more thana one ofa their products a weeka, because they containa lotsa salt and fatsa to give the authentica taste. Mama mia!

• Upvote 1

Pizzas have a habit of containing lotsa salt, especially if you eat them in pizzarias. Its better to make your own, you know what goes in them and they are better for you, containg everything you need in one dish, carbohydrates, protein (ham etc )and fat ( mozzarella in small qnts) But they are nice.

I wasn't taking the mickey out of Italians, nonna (I know you didn't think I was). It's just that the cartoon characters in the Dolmio advert on TV speak in an Italo-English accent.

When Linda has finished black-leading the grate, she will get the coal in - we keep it in the bath!.

Didnt think that at all. You should hear Alex taking the mickey. He does it better than Dolmio

• Upvote 1

Our tastes have changed yes they change with age,but also there is so much more choice today than back in the 50s/60s,.....i was looking at the different cheeses in Morrisons this morning.......back in the day it was Cheddar or Cheshire for the most of us,......and the occasional bit of Danish blue to 'mek ya tabs laugh'............Bacon seems to have gone the other way,now just 2 or 3 different cuts,but back then i reckon we all ate lots of it,i learned to take a 'side' of bacon then bone and roll it into different types,........Flitch,Middle,Streaky,Collar,Shoulder,Corner Gammon etc,and folk only wanted Danish.

• 10 months later...

I have no memory of eating as a kid I'm sure I only ate at school, school dinners? We never had a dinning table or chairs anyway, if you did eat it was on your lap around the fire, the rest of the house was far to cold & it would have been beans on toast.      

My tastes have stayed boringly utilitarian (she says). Meals drive 'her in doors' barmy. Give me mash or roast taters, peas, carrots and any meat except veal or offal and I'm a happy bunny. Curry is the food of the devil. Cheese of any kind makes feel ill. I'm not lactose intolerant but the taste and especially the texture in my mouth is..  blechh. I don't put vinegar on chips and only use brown sauce on a bacon cob if the bacon is (as it usually is) pretty much tasteless. I've not drunk beer since the breathalyser came out and I've never liked wine or spirits. Might be a bit of a porky pie in that last sentence. I drank two bottles of beer last Christmas and was sh*tfaced for the rest of the day and had to go lie down for about three hours. I'd rather have toothache than a hangover.

Only ever drink tea, I don't like coffee. Going abroad on business or holiday is a nightmare.

My mam, like all mams, was a great cook. Always gave us a choice at meal times - eat it or go without.

Meals for the last few days:

Saturday - Four lamb chops, new potatoes and peas (best butter on the peas 'n' taters)

Sunday - Steak (medium rare) home made chips, fried egg and peas

Monday - Two pork cutlets, new potatoes, peas and gravy

Tuesday - Fish and chips from the chippy

See? simples!

None of the Mediterranean roasted veg and hummus rammel she likes with garlic bread and a glass of red wine.

I blame all these cooking programmes for the explosion of weird food combinations that seem to be everywhere.

Last year attended a wedding with a 'posh' sit down meal of roast quail. The food was barely warm and if I'd thrown a handful of chips on it there might have been enough for a sandwich. Everyone is twittering about  good the meal was but if that's 'fine dining' they can keep it. And I was still hungry.

• Upvote 2

I have recently discovered a new butchers Barlows a bit out the way, 1 branch at Nuncargate and 1 at Newthorpe but you can order over the net, all I can say is their home made pies are to die for.

I'm lucky I have people that travel the area so I can always arrange they take my order.

Never understood the concept of BBQs plantit. We have thousands of pounds worth of state of the art kitchens but are apparently quite happy to throw meat on a smoky, ash laden grill and leave it to be attended to by a bloke who is proud of his culinary skills but actually has no idea how to cook. The end product is usually burnt on the outside and raw on the inside and smothered in sauce to disguise the fact if you gave the steak a slap it would get up and moo! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 5

I agree Brew,similar to one of them Hot Tub thingy's,who on earth wants to sit in a bath of hot water with other people, in the garden

Rog

• Upvote 4

I agree on both items. BBQ's are invariably tedious, boring, mind numbing affairs, with useless chit chat, cheap warm wine, charcoal covered drumsticks which are still pink inside. Plus so course, it takes an hour and a half for the bleddy thing to be useable.

As for hot tubs. Well again, boring chit chat, warm wine again, and who for goodness sakes wants to sit in tepid stale water contaminated with other folks pee. If you are unfortunate enough to be at a gathering where there are both operating, then it is a veritable nightmare. Of course, there is always a fearful supply of crap lager, such as Fosters, Budweiser or that Red Stripe waz.

• Upvote 3
22 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I agree Brew,similar to one of them Hot Tub thingy's,who on earth wants to sit in a bath of hot water with other people, in the garden

Rog

Have you seen the cost of those things! It's conspicuous consumption for the benefit of people with more money than sense! It says look at me, how urbane I am, how so very trendy I am. They usually sit there running up a large 'leccy bill and I suspect are rarely used after the novelty has worn off.

• Upvote 1

Heh, bin there dun that  - and got the belting for coming home soaked to the skin and usually minus a shoe..

• Upvote 1

I will never understand why anyone would want to sit in a glorified bath (because that's all they are) and talk. The thought gives me the creeps. I would jump a mile if any ones leg touched mine. :shout:

Barbecued food frightens the life out of me, when I see my loved ones eating charred carcinogenic meat, I want to take it off them and bin it. We are warned so much about the dangers but people seem to ignore it.

Our food has changed for the healthier options over the years, too many changes to list here. I would say we eat healthily three quarters of the time, but still enjoy the naughty but nice things in moderation.Sometimes admitted the moderation slips a bit.;)

• Upvote 7

A chap I worked with was a BBQ man. One day he didn't turn up for work. Then came the usual question - have you heard about Ray? He was holding a BBQ in his back garden and couldn't get the fuel to burn, no matter how he tried. Ray was a model aircraft enthusiast and suddenly had a bright light come on in his head. Why not squirt some engine fuel on the coals. He did; the fuel instantly vapourised into a cloud and ignited into a huge fireball. I went to see him in the burns unit at the City Hospital.

I agree, barbecues are a waste of time. We've got one and its gets used about once a year but by the time you've got it lit you could have cooked it in the kitchen. We did have a gas one, still waiting to dismantle it and take it to the tip, but that didn't have the authenticity of proper charcoal!

That's an horrendous thought Chulla and one that I think happens more often than we realise. We have two Barbecues; one gas and one traditional.I know what you mean about the flavour of the meat when cooking with charcoal, the gas one doesn't have the same attraction. Neither of them has come out of the shed for the last two years. If I have my way, it will soon be three. I might change my mind if we ever learn how to cook without burning it. I would rather make a big pan of Chillie Fry and another of Chicken Tikka, a big pan of rice and one of salad, fill the garden with friends/family and chill for a couple of hours.:)

• Upvote 2

I much prefer to sit on the patio, with my choice of wine or beer. The chiminea blazing away merrily, my choice of music on.

Oh, and  madam in the kitchen cooking things properly !

• Upvote 1

Re # 26. Very noble ideas carni, but if all else fails, just get pi55ed.

• Upvote 1