Player's Bonded Warehouse, Triumph Road.

As you all know a very prominant building, something I used to stare at in wonder from the top deck of the Midland General bus when I was a kid.

I assume it was probably the first large 'high rise' building in the city and I'm sure that there is an identical one down near the docks in Bristol.

Thing is, I presume it isn't used anymore by Players, or is it. If not, are there plans to convert it into student flats and include it in the complex all around it, I reckon it's probably a Listed Building so it's unlikely to be demolished.

Are there any plans for it's future, has anything been said about it up there, I'm curious to know.

Hi firbeck.

Not sure whether you've had a look round the Jubilee Campus site, but it is worth a visit on a sunny day. I have added a page of brief details, together with a collection of photo's, to my own web site - under the heading of local parks that are easily accessible from my own estate.

Can be found at http://www.risepark.plus.com/jubilee_campus.htm if you're interested

Hi all yes the bonded warehouse is still in use, i have a friend you used to fix one of the fork lifts there.

He told me what a weird place it is as there are only about two people that work there all the lights are on sensors so as you walk down a corridor the lights go on as as you walk past they go off!!

He had a look in one of the many boxes in there and took some a piece of the un treated tobbacco and showed it to me and it just looked like bark that is used on childrens playgrounds.

He also told me that if you see a light on a night it no good as nobody is there at night and as i said before there on sensors!!!!

The place is highly secured with camera's etc and also not much use in the state its stored in.

I work for Nottingham Uni and while they are trying to buy all triumph road i don't think that the warehouse is one of them.

I will try and find out though

ED thumbsup

I never knew that, strange height to put the floors at, whats the point, why did they do it I wonder.

Big trouble doing a conversion then, assuming it's a steel and RC building, having to take out alternate structural floors would be a real problem.

I used to work for Players and never got in the Bonded Wharehouse but I have been there to do some work for another company. It was like getting in Fort Knox. Anyway I went in some of the higher floors and the ceilings are not low. I'm not saying they are really high as I dont remember but I am 6 foot and didn't have to crawl about.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi heard a story about the warehouse,,, durring the 2nd world war a group of Italian prisonners were marched from the rail station to the prison camp on wolaton park. when they saw the warehouse they thought that was where they going and panicked..I can understand this as it is an imposing building.probably would make a good prison

• 7 years later...

From Notts TV Facebook page

"The University of Nottingham have submitted a planning application to demolish John Player's Bonded Warehouse on Triumph Road. Their plans have faced backlash from the Civic Society as they aim to protect the last remaining Player's factory in the area."

I love these rather brutalist buildings.

• Upvote 1

Fit for purpose as they say nowadays. Useful is what was always used, but now the trendies have to over elaborate.

I have just looked at the planning application on the city council website. The plans were submitted on March the 2nd, so it seems that the press are a little slow with these things.

The planning approval has been decided, is this another way of saying that it has been approved.

Personally I don't mind them . . . . . but I don't like how the University of Nottingham are taking over..... The Raleigh site now looks more of an eyesore than the Players Warehouses. . . . . If there's such a housing shortage then why not convert them into apartments? That's right Nottingham needs yet more student accommodation ;)

• Upvote 1

Although it is easy to apply this only to the present bunch of control freaks, I think the word politician means lying bar steward in another language.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...