Anyone who has seen the old Littlewood's building in Liverpool probably thinks it's not too high.  But it is about seven stories (not counting the clock tower) and only looks low because it is very long IYSWIM...  :

I worked on it painting when I first came up this way .  We had scaffolding but no boards, kickers, ladders or anything.  We got to the top by climbing hand over hand up the outside of the scaffolding.  That was 1971. Scared the waste matter out of me.

I saw summat on telly that a lot of these thrill seekers, base jumpers and the like lack the normal 'fear' response and have to resort to this stuff to really feel alive.

I OTOH, get dizzy standing on the kerb....  ;)

Col

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nelson: "Order the signal, Hardy" Hardy: "Aye aye sir" Nelson: "Hold on, that's not what I dictated to flags. What is the meaning of this?' Hardy: "Sorry sir!" Nelson: (Reading aloud) " 'England e

I was at a railway station buffet and asked for tea with 'just a spot of milk', (I can't stand the stuff, only use it to colour my tea. Too many bad memories of school milk!) the girl then poured abo

Two weeks for a bag of Bics Fly? I make a single Bic last that long. A bag of 'em lasts me around 4 months! (And yes, I do have Scottish blood - from my grandmother's side of the family - and I don't

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I worked on it painting when I first came up this way .  We had scaffolding but no boards, kickers, ladders or anything.  We got to the top by climbing hand over hand up the outside of the scaffolding.  That was 1971. Scared the waste matter out of me.

Reminds me of the very first documentary about Fred Dibnah that was shown on TV - couldn't believe him climbing the ladder up a chimney hand over hand, then standing on boards round the top with no handrail.

I suppose it's all about confidence in what you're doing.

• Upvote 1

Watched a bloke years ago standing on top of a chimney swinging a sledge hammer at the bricks knocking them into the inside....made me feel ill thinking of what happened if he missed while swinging a fourteen pound hammer.

Also reminds me of the Mohawk Indians employed on the early skyscrapers because of their lack of fear at heights. And the astonishment of the European workers when they saw Mohawk women walking gaily along the beams with their husbands lunch.

• Upvote 1

My dad was a builder and as a kid I used to watch him go up a triple extender, wooden ladder with a crawl ladder in one hand, up to the gutter of a 3 storey Victorian terrace somewhere in Hyson Green, then come back down to get the step ladder to climb up onto the old chimney stacks to repoint or remove the old crown top pots.

He had no fear whatsoever, to him it was just work.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...

Now't wrong there he's got his ear defenders on and wearing gloves... top chap!

• Like 1

Should be wearing a hard hat and the chap in the last picture would be more comfortable if he was wearing welly boots, other than that they have a job,good on yer

Rog

• 3 months later...