New Nuthall hospitals

Hi all,

anyone know of a hospital, possibly for infectious diseases, at New Nuthall in 1920? My uncle's death certificate says he died at New Nuthall from malignant measles aged 5. He lived in Oxton so I'm making a big assumption that he may have been admitted to a hospital before he died.

Would appreciate any info.

Cheers,

Claire

Perth, Australia

Hi Claire, welcome to the site. There was a hospital for certain infectious diseases on Hucknall Rd , Basford. Just north of the City Hospital. It has been mentioned on this site previously in various topics. I'm sure someone will soon come up with some details.

Best of luck in your quest for more information.

• Upvote 1

Claire,

I don't recall a New nuthall, but the area that includes Temple drive, Roland avenue is known as old nuthall. These houses would probably be about a hundred years old now, so it could have been new nuthall then.

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I have done a search on this site for Basford Hospital and there are a few posts there for me to look at too so thanks again.

• Upvote 1

It was an isolation hospital surrounded by very high walls which now enclose a new housing estate.

Personally, I'd be dubious about living there, unless the ground had been suitably decontaminated.

• Upvote 1

I worked as a contractor at the Hucknall Road hospital in the 70's (referred in other posts) & believe building still stands within the grounds, type in Tring Vale on the A611, that's Hucknall Road & the building is directly opposite the junction of Tring Vale you can see the old building with newer ones attached.

I tried to post the google link without success!!

• Upvote 1

The name 'New Nuthall' still existed in the 1940s as this shows, north of the existing village.

The place marked Nuthall House no longer exists, nor does Spencer House next to it; however, there is a present-day Spencer Drive in the same place. If you look at that on Streetview https://goo.gl/maps/sjLhmtfUti22 it's just a drive, but the houses nearby look like they could have been nursing homes in the early 20th century. I'd put money on that being the place.

nuthall_zps7yqp8uok.jpg

You would really need to superimpose a modern map to be sure that Spencer Drive is the one where the house is. There is another road on the same side with elderly housing on it, not on that map, which is more likely where Spencer House was. I may be wrong of course.

Spencer house is on spencer drive.

The boots scientist, that was murdered in France in the 1950s, lived in Spencer house. I presume Drummond drive, on the other side of Nuthall roundabout was named after him.

Spencer house is on spencer drive.

I don't know why I assumed it had gone ! It's marked on older maps, but not on more recent versions, and I should've checked a bit more.

This is Spencer Drive from above http://binged.it/1RZr659 Several buildings around there could be the one Claire1956 is looking for.

That link don't work for me Cliff.

I've just checked again and it still works for me !?

Cliff, I think spencer house is listed, it is quite an imposing house.

Is it the white building on the Bing map ?

Something strange here.

I have a 80s map and it shows Spencer Drive, New Nuthall in the following location, turn right at the three ponds pub onto Watnall Road forth turning on the right.

This puts it to the west of the MI, the link above takes you to a location to the east of the M1.

Oh no it doesn't the bloody thing is upside down with north to the bottom of the pic. Now why did I doubt Cliff.

• Upvote 1

Paulus, the isolation hospital I referred to is the other side of Arnold Rd coming up the hill from the City Hospital.

That'll be the place Fly..........we used to know it as 'Basford Sanatorium' it was also called the TB Hospital,........my Mother worked there has a 'Seamstress' and i delivered Newspapers there in the 50s,.......we wer'nt allowed in the Hospital and used to throw the Papers thru windows that were always open.

At the back was also a high wall that we used to scale to go scrumping,and was known to us as 'Redwalls'.

Yes Benjamin, I'm just down the road from there.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I'm thinking the area around Spencer House, Watnell Rd is probably the best bet as it falls under the area of New Nuthall as indicated on the map above from Cliff Ton. He may not have been in a hospital of course, I was only exploring that possibility. He could have been at a relative or friends house I guess. Will have to do more digging to see if I can find any relatives living in that area at the time.

Anyway, I really like this forum......you're all so incredibly helpful!

• Upvote 3