Howard Marks R.I.P.

Michael, you are correct in that drugs cause misery and death to millions, heroin, alcohol and tobacco being the main culprits.

However, it may interest you to know that there has never been a single death from cannabis overdose, Howard Marks only dealt with cannabis.

• Upvote 1

That's pathetic!

Trying to justify cannabis.

It's responsible for more crime, psychosis, pressure on the NHS and corruption of young minds than anything else.

If it was just a matter of occasional recreational use then it wouldn't be a problem, but it's such an insidious drug that users nearly always make it a lifestyle.

Just off the top of my head - recently a kid mowed down a traffic cop in a stolen car. He was as high as a kite and had been smoking dope since he was 6.

Yesterday a girl was jailed for stamping on her baby. She and her partner were addicted to cannabis.

I've wasted more hours of my life trying to deal with people who were 'ganja casualties' than I care to remember.

Skunk is class A, not class C.

Trying to make out that Howard Marks was just a loveable rougue rather than a muti-million pound drug dealer is just lame in my book. His activities brought him into contact with the IRA and the Mafia.

He probably corrupted more minds than any hate-preacher or extremist could dream of.

• Upvote 2

At the risk of another 'David Bowie' situation, is it possible to reserve this obituary section for what it is intended for.

I respect the dead- surely a morality thread could be started elsewhere.. don't wish to appear argumentative, Ian.