Did my underage drinking nicking my Mothers Mackeson in the Bob'ole around the left hand side. Off Licence really but it was always known as the Bob'ole for whatever reason.

Yes it did Michael. I am surprised it is still going to be honest with you. It has always had a bit of a reputation like the Cocked Hat when that was still going and also the Rose.

It is right on the edge of Aspley and Broxtowe Estates so has a lot of potential customers to pull in.

Hi,

I used to drink in there 54 years ago, I remember a couple of drinking buddies were Billy Hayes and Mick Horton, there was also a regular called Mick Else. I moved on and not seen them since. it was a bit of a rough house then but used to get packed. Anyone from that era ?

#10 ger

Billy Hayes was in the year above me at Player School, his brother Ray was in my class. I'm told Billy was a window cleaner and lives somewhere near the Fox on Valley Road.

Mick Horton still drinks in the Beacon apparently, has racing pigeons.

Mick Else was a miner at Babbington a 'Ted' through and through drape jacket, brothel creepers, the works, big mate of Stuart Aram.

Thanks davep5491,

you just took me back half a century. It begs belief that Mick still drinks in the Beacon, can't believe it, and I would never have put him with pidgeons.You are dead right about Mick Else, I can picture him now with his ted outfit and forever making sure his hair wasn't out of place, stroking his sort of quiff that he used to have. Is he still about, the last I heard was about the same time then, he was dating Patty Hancox, brother of Alan 'JIJ' Hancox and Kenny, who all lived on Glaisdale Drive, I think. I also remember a Stan Lowndes who was a bit out of order from time to time, the last time I saw him, he was folding a huge tarpaulin in the middle of a main road, can't quite remeber which one. H ewas holding up the traffic without a care in the world. I went and asked him if I could give him a hand, he said 'Do you know who I am' I said 'Course I do I had a drink in the Cocked Hat with you two nights ago'. 'EEEeerrrr right, you did'. We folded up the tarpaulin and that was the last I saw of him. That was donkeys years ago.

Stan got about a bit ger,.....and yes certainly a character.,knew him fairly well,........he passed on a few years ago.

You know, I am getting on a bit these days and sometimes I still find it strange that people are there and then they aren't and since coming on here and reading about memories that are shared, it is 'stranger than fiction' as we used to say. Funny world isnt it.

Nostalga is a funny thing ger..........i'm forever bumping into people i hav'ent seen for years and happy memories come flooding back.........had a humorous one the other day,had'nt seen him for 20 years and insisted on telling me hes now 71...........as if i dint know,we were in the same class/year at school........lol.

• Upvote 2

#15 ger

I knew of the Lowndes family, Tony was in my year at school changed his name to Vince Taylor whilst in a one man protest on Strangeways roof.

Stan I seem to remember being a minder for someone who ran a pallet business near the Shoulder of Mutton. And also Mick 'Edgar' all passed away now.

Perhaps you knew of the Travis family, just heard the 'Denbo' died a month or so back.

Can't say I recall the Travis family, certainly Les Newcombe, I think he used to use the Parkside Club with Gordon Collinson who used to own a car lot at the end of meadow Lane just past Cattle Market gates on the other side as well as the man who had a pallet business at the end of Canal Street in Narrow Marsh. I cant for the life of me think of his name but I used to see him in The Loggerheads. Once you start thinking, you wonder how you fitted it all in.