Came acrosss this site by accident, I use to live on Broxtowe Lane, by Dad, Len Herbert had the wallpaper and paint shop near the Cocked Hat we lived there from about 1962 till 1980. Wondering if anyone remembers him?

I went to Players Junior school then to Willaim Crane. In my younger days I could be found at Coffee Bar (Methodist Church on Aspley Lane) SMD (St Margrets Church) Broxtowe Youth Club, Sheila Russells. I think the first pub I went in was The Early Bird, then progressed to The Beacon, The Broad Oak I wasn't allowed in the Cocked Hat, to close to home. Then of course it was Strelley Social Club. Soon tired of local pubs so started to go to town, Hearty Goodfellow, Royal children, The Fountain, Saluation, Dog and Bear, Coach and Horses, Q E on Bottle Lane, Yates. Had some really good times and lovely memories of my teens.

• Upvote 7

angel. #1, remember Sheila Russel Centre, went there from 1960 till 1964, lived at back of Cocked Hat on Shipley RD, my aunt and her kids lived opposite on Sherbourne Rd, next door to what was then the co op. you mentioned places bought back nice memories. welcome

Welcome Angel, I was born in 1951 & lived on Minver Crescent, then Aspley Lane, went to the youth clubs you mentioned, & most of the pubs. You may have known the Wynne brothers, their mum lived next door to the Cocked Hat, all of them were educated at John Players Academy For Young Gentlemen................ kickme..............I was a good Catholic boy & went to St Teresa's

#1 Hi Angel remember the shop well. I lived on Withern Road near to Bidford and the cut through to Broxtowe Lane. Not sure of your age but my first proper drink was in The Cocked Hat though used to go with my mum and dad and get a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps from the offi.

I now live in Strelley Village and my local is The Broad Oak. Small world.

I was born in 1951 & lived on Minver Crescent, then Aspley Lane

Whereabouts on Minver Cresc. did you live? My Mother lived there from 1930 to 1953 when she married. My Grandmother lived there 1930 to 1980 when she died. At no.97 in both cases.

Welcome Angel, I was born in 1951 & lived on Minver Crescent, then Aspley Lane, went to the youth clubs you mentioned, & most of the pubs. You may have known the Wynne brothers, their mum lived next door to the Cocked Hat, all of them were educated at John Players Academy For Young Gentlemen................ kickme..............I was a good Catholic boy & went to St Teresa's

Don't remember the 'wynne' brothers - but then the name sounds familiar - I'll have a think about it

#1 Hi Angel remember the shop well. I lived on Withern Road near to Bidford and the cut through to Broxtowe Lane. Not sure of your age but my first proper drink was in The Cocked Hat though used to go with my mum and dad and get a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps from the offi.

I now live in Strelley Village and my local is The Broad Oak. Small world.

I was born on Withern Road in 1952 - then moved to Strelley Road when I was about 2 - I remember Strelley Road like it was yesterday - shame I can't remember what I did last week 😀

angel. #1, remember Sheila Russel Centre, went there from 1960 till 1964, lived at back of Cocked Hat on Shipley RD, my aunt and her kids lived opposite on Sherbourne Rd, next door to what was then the co op. you mentioned places bought back nice memories. welcome

I remember the Co-op on Sherbourne Road very well - I would pass there every day going back and forward to school

i remember the Broad Oak very very well, i was about 18-19 yrs, worked on the M1 at Strelley, every thursday, (payday), we would all collect at the Broad Oak for a drink, happy memories

i remember the Broad Oak very very well, i was about 18-19 yrs, worked on the M1 at Strelley, every thursday, (payday), we would all collect at the Broad Oak for a drink, happy memories

You wouldn't know it now Terence....changed completely.

• Upvote 1

aye, went up passed the broad oak last year to get a photo of strelley church, (was looking at history of the deStrelleys, who came over with Duke of Normandy in 1066), also took a photo of the old boxing club, opposite broad oak. The deStrelley family had links to the peveril family, i think a member of each family were together in the Crusades with King Richard, The peverils built Codnor Castle, the ruin is near Codnor Golf Club. in the church is the tomb of Sir Sampson Strelley, wanted to photo it but church was closed up, getting back to the point i saw how it had all changed, as with everything nowadays.

• Upvote 3

No wonder ive got no money............mrs always leaves all the lights on...................

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

I had the good fortune to go on a guided tour of Strelley Hall yesterday, and what an absolutely amazing and fascinating place it is. I never imagined that it has had such a tremendous amount of history relating to it and it's occupants. 

The first building was constructed about 1200, and unbelievably, only three families have resided there. Two for nearly 400 years each, and the current occupants for 37 years. 

I finished off with afternoon tea at the Mulberry Tree Cafe in the old stables. Superb.

For anyone interested in visiting,  look on the Strelley Hall or Mulberry tree websites. 

• Upvote 3

#23 Hi Fly you will have passed my flat yesterday on you trip to Strelley Hall. I live only 5 minutes away near The Broad Oak. I have been in The Mulberry Tree a few times and although not cheap all the food is home made and delicious.

• Upvote 1