@Cliff Tonhave just been reading the coal man thread & noticed that you mention getting your coal in clifton from nevins, they also used to deliver our coal on gamble st, it was cyril nevin & his son who's name i'm sure was richard, their house & yard were on ireton st just off raleigh st then, there is a pictue of the premises on picture nottingham NTGMO13850 possibly the same family?.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe this should be posted under “things you don’t see any more”. A coal man, and a lorry piled up with sacks. On Clifton in the early 60s, almost every house still had a coal f

A lot of people don't realise that the coal doesn't find it's way into the sacks on it's own ! It has to be shovelled in & weighed as well. Trading standards were always hot on coal men, by law sc

I got a temp job as a teenager delivering coal, I stuck it one morning only ! Sod that !

If anyone else is interested, this is the photo in question.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm013850/posterid/ntgm013850.html

I'm not sure how far the Nevin empire reached over the area. The vehicles which operated in Clifton were labelled A & V Nevin, and I know some of the family lived in Wilford village. There's no reason why the Radford branch shouldn't be related, although I'd never previously heard of them operating in that area.

Later generations of the family occasionally crop up on FB Groups connected with Clifton, so they're still around.

I have only just noticed looking at the photo again the date of 1976,

this must probably be 1 of the last photo's taken of those premises as that is the year we moved from gamble st & mass demolition began in that area. Walking around there now on google maps there are very few houses left from that era, the only thing thats instantly recognisable is all saints church.

Cyril Nevin and son Richard and family used to live in nearby Fiskerton come Morton. Cyril used to wear a toupee which someone playfully flipped over his eyes whilst he was at the bar in the Full Moon. He sometimes came to the pub with a pony and trap. Fortunately the pony knew the way home! The younger Nevins latterly owned a sandwich shop on Haydn Rd. about 25 years ago.

Thank you i was only asking as i am pretty sure that at the time i am talking about they did live in the house at the coal yard on ireton st, so may have moved there after that house was demolished. It always seemed a very big grand house to those of us who lived in a 2 up 2 downsmile2.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, Compo said:

you could walk through to Redhill by a track alongside tehir yard if I remember correctly. It was on the left as you went along Cross Street towards Front Street, just before crossinng High Street. 

The track paralleled Cross Street for a 100 yards or so coming out on Cherry Close. I used to walk along there most days to Redhill school with my mate Stef who's parents were the steward and stewardess at the Labour Club 

Richard Cyril Nevin is listed as a coal merchant on Gravelly Lane Fiskerton. Do people still have open fires, I thought it was all woodburners now?. I don't have an open fire anymore, just a gas coal effect one that's only lit in the state dining room at Christmas for the ambience. :biggrin:

9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I Googled It so it may be out of date. I’ll make some enquiries locally. @letsavagoo. lives nearby so he may chip in with more information.

I don’t go in the Full Moon very often. In fact I don’t drink a deal all now. I drank my share years ago.  If we do go out I prefer the Final Whistle at Southwell for a pint. I don’t know the Nevin’s but will ask around. As to who still uses coal. Well I do. The ‘log’ burner we have is multi fuel. We burn logs but smokeless fuel is cheaper and more convenient as a single stoke will go all day and into the evening.

10 hours ago, RadFordee said:

@philmayfieldyes i was very surprised when cliffton said earlier that they were still around 

I didn't express myself very clearly ! ! !    I didn't mean they were still operating as coal merchants...I meant that there are still members of the Nevin family in the area, and they obviously look at FB.

I have a Parkray boiler in the living room. I use solid fuel and I also burn wood on it though perhaps I shouldn't. I still consider it the best form of heating. I have no gas in the house.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I didn't express myself very clearly ! ! !    I didn't mean they were still operating as coal merchants...I meant that there are still members of the Nevin family in the area, and they obviously look at FB.

Sorry ct also me just assuming that you meant they were still in the business too.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:30 PM, Compo said:

Were they on High Street near Wharton's Dairy, Lizzie?

Sorry for more than 3 year delay @Compo …….

Georgie Johnson lived on Cross Street opposite the end of High Street, in a white painted house with stables attached.   Pretty sure his Dad was a funeral director as well as a coal man. Georgie was a blond good looking lad, a couple of years older than me ….. that’s why I remember him! 

23 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I think many of us remember the pre central heating era when there was ice on the inside of the bedroom windows. Didn't do us any harm. People are too bloody soft nowadays.

Billy Connolly tells a fantastic joke about his mam putting a heavy overcoat on the bed in winter but calling it an eiderdown whenever they had visitors. I  can't stop crying with laughter every time I hear it because that's exactly what my dad did putting a coat on my bed!!

8 hours ago, trogg said:

also burn logs, but I use smokeless fuel most of the time . I start the fire with logs as it is faster to warm the rooms up , once warm enough coal is used for the rest of the day.

Me too. I have a multifuel stove, known as Clara Clearview! She consumes smokeless fuel. Piano man is quite correct. There is no heat source quite like it. Fire is a primitive need in humans, I reckon...to say nothing of cats!