Was he related to spiritualized guitarist Tony Foster ?

Yes. Doggen is his brother and is also a mate of mine. They were both in a band called Perfomance together with Kev Bales (now of spiritualized too) back in the 90's.

Roy is singing and you'll recognise Tony

Mapperley Man, thankyou for sharing your experiences of depression - I hope it has helped you in writing it down on this forum, and helped others to understand a bit more too.

I have a friend who suffers greatly from depression so I can relate to much of what you say, and a family member who has a severe mental illness. As you said, the inner turmoil can rarely be seen from the outside. It was said to me: "no-one realises how hard it is for me to just keep going, trying to appear normal when I feel so dreadful inside"

Thank you again

• Upvote 5

Well said Margie,ive been wondering since i read MM's post,how to word a reply........you did it for me,...thanks,.......keep fighting MM..........

Depression is indeed horrible. I have experienced it, parts of my family are currently fighting it and I work in an hospital amongst those who have mental health issues. We are advocates in mindfulness, which sounds like you use and has worked for them. I hope you find the help and peace you so desperately crave MapperleyMan. You will never be alone whilst you're on this forum...

• Upvote 3

Mapperley Man,........2 good posts there Margie and Gibbo,............its always good to talk,and there is a NHS service called 'Lets Talk' very good.

I'm glad to see this thread helping to raise awareness of the horrors of Depression and the misery it causes. I wish MM the best.

I never cease to be amazed by the continuing ignorance of the reality of Depression.

It is not just 'being a bit fed up'.

It is not just 'feeling a bit sad'.

It is not just 'feeling sorry for yourself.'

It is a crushing and hopeless feeling condition in which it is difficult to see anything worth living for. In my experience it is impossible to plan, self -motivate, organise, achieve, enjoy, etc. It is as if it is literally impossible to raise your head and see forward. And the words 'snap out of it'... Don't get me started.... :angry:

Depression causes untold and largely silent suffering amongst milllions. Yet it often comes from nowhere and without warning. I have had two major episodes of depression in my lifetime and both lasted for at least 6 months at their worse, with lingering effects lasting far longer.

Anxiety, which can accompany depression, but which can also be experienced without depression can also be a truly terrifying condition, though in my experience with good support and coaching, is easier to control than Depression.

In the last few years, my good friend's son, and my own Son in Law's brother both died from Depression induced suicide. Hardly any surprise then that I developed extreme anxiety when my beautiful daughter also became deeply depressed after a relationship break up.

It is no joke.

Col

• Upvote 6

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes. Its very kind of you all. However, I'm less than pleased that my post has been "edited" (read: removed) and a link to my blog (which changes every few days) has been substituted. My blog covers multiple subjects but the post was specific. If there is a post length stipulation then it should be easy enough to set up a character limit to posts which stops excessive length. Its less than satisfactory to find that someone has come along and basically removed the lot.

Put me off the site to be honest.

As a child I grew up with depression and anxiety as my mum was a chronic depressive and spent many periods in hospital having electric shock therapy, she would come home completely out of it with memory loss and other side effects.

During these episodes I was shunted off to a great aunts or grans for a week or so till mum felt she could cope again. Over her lifetime she became addicted to prescribed drugs like librium and other benzodiazepine type of drugs. But still suffered badly although not as bad as when she was younger.

It must be a genetic thing, as over the years I too have suffered with it but not as bad as mum did, a round of modern antidepressants occasionally helped me but left me feeling empty and just plain odd.

I still get episodes and now have anxious feelings too, especially in the early sleepless hours but try to not get down the "black hole" too far, I am a member of a couple of online help groups here and talking about it with other sufferers does help.

As a final to this our youngest daughter is a chronic depressive too, she went through a bad relationship which seems to have triggered it several years ago and now takes regular meds to cope, she is a midwife and holds down a good job. But we dread the midnight phone calls where mum sits talking to her sometimes for a couple of hours or more to get her through the worst times. She has no partner so suffers alone.

She tried once to end it all so she is our biggest worry in life.

Depression is a bitch and anyone who has never suffered will just never understand just what it is, as mentioned above, down "the black hole" is a fair representation of the feelings of despair one can get.

Writing this on a public forum I feel I have exposed my sole, but so be it , help is out there and it does pass, and half the battle is understanding the illness.

• Upvote 3

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes. Its very kind of you all. However, I'm less than pleased that my post has been "edited" <cut>

Your post, though well meaning, breaches our rules which are put in place for a reason well known to our members.

As I saw it was a blog I added the date of the relevant text.

You should also, like others here, place a link to your blog in your signature to attract traffic and boost your Google rating.

• Upvote 1

Mapperley Man, I followed the link to your blog and was interested to read what you wrote on 24 March about why you 'despise' some atheists, even though you yourself are an atheist. I am a Christian but found your thoughts really interesting - thank you.

If Mick2me had not put this link to your blog, then I probably would'nt have seen it, so perhaps you can see the 'removal' as a good thing? I really hope so..... I enjoy reading your posts on here.

• Upvote 3

Mapperley man,.........i agree with Margie and Banjo,......micktome has done you a favour........stay on the forum,lots of folk have the same probs but don't come forward,........those that do,know its good to talk,and those that don't i reckon it helps them too,........if any of that makes sense........lol.

• Upvote 1

Makes sense to me, benjamin, but there again, I'm feeling a bit dozy this morning!!

• Upvote 2

Thanks Margie and Benjamin. I was speaking from my immediate reaction and disappointment last night. New day, new start.

Redbowen, surely its because it can't be seen that people feel free to doubt or belittle it? Seeing is believing, right?

• Upvote 2

The problem with depression is that deep down it's seen as the sign of a mentally weak and lesser person. It's something that many will feel they are too strong to ever succumb to. Sadly ( in a way) that's not the case. It's very similar to cancer, in that some people can be more genetically pre-disposed to get it but none of us are immune. The chemical imbalances that seem to be at the root of clinical depression are just as much a physical malady as a broken leg, it's just not as visible. If we were as embarrassed about people knowing we had a malfunctioning liver as we are about having a malfunctioning brain then liver disease would be a far bigger killer.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Depression is probably not a single disease but a collection of them under one title. Cancer is similarly grouped together.

Some people for reasons unknown, and often with no external factors, just drop a chemical from the brain which keeps us functioning. The chemical is called serotonin and a good number of depressive illnesses can be controlled by medication which stops the brain dumping serotonin. At its worst, it can actually slow up everything you do. I have come across many cases where the patient speaks so slowly they cannot be understood. In one case I can remember, the patient moved as if their limbs were on cogs, they walked with a jerking movement, almost puppet-like. The technical name is psychomotor retardation. The good thing about this type of depression is that it is treatable with medication. Unfortunately as we dont know why it happens, it recurs, often frequently.

Other types of depression include reactive depression, which is when your mood is lowered due to external factors. Not such a good result from medication but talking therapies are very good. They have progressed immensely in recent years. Unfortunately, and probably hugely destructively, the funding for the treatments and most vitally the training, has been cut. Counselling is slightly different from this type of therapy, but can certainly help in some cases where there is mental trauma.

It has to be said - depression is often a benefit seeker's holy grail. Get the diagnosis and get the benefits. Its not that difficult to persuade a busy doctor to give the person an easy access to more benefits than they deserve.

• Upvote 4

My late Mother suffered from depression, and looking bad at the hand of cards she was dealt..i can see why.

Poor woman had electric shock treatment somewhere on Porchester rd.

These memories always remind me to fully converse with my kids- and have an "open " set of ears 24/7.