Book about growing up in Radford

Hello all,

I have scribbled down the mostly happy story of my childhood growing up in and around Radford Bridge Road on Gate Street. It is now published on amazon.co.uk and is called "What time is it on the moon?" i would love to hear from anyone who remembers things the way I do.

oldrec

Thanks Cliff Ton,

I saw these threads, 1930's is a bit before my time I grew up there in the 60's and 70's the canal had gone from Radford Bridge Road by then but I remember it was still there at the top of Charlbury Road for newt and stickleback fishing and ice skating, well maybe not actually skating. It is now covered by the Torvill and Dean estate, ironic really.

oldrec.

• Upvote 1

Certainly interest old rec. Dad grew up on Croyden Road, Mum grew up on Salisbury street, Aunt and Uncle lived on Bright street. Another uncle lived on Denman Street. Usually in the Dover Castle. My mum always took us shopping along Denman Street.

We were quite young then. We were given the choice. Bus both ways and no sweets, or bus back only (loaded shopping bags) and sweets if we walked from Bilborough cutting over New Bridge. Always wor willies if it rained because the Leen usually flooded near Hartley Road. I remember Marsdens and Dewhurst and also Maypole Dairy. There were lots of Butchers on Denman Street. Often we would visit her sister on Bright Street. and then catch the bus back. Standing at the bus stop watching the electric lorries going from Raleigh to Radford Station. I went to cubs at All Souls Church. Funny thing. At the age of eight I was happy to catch the bus home on my own. Happy Days.

By the way Old Rec, my Dad was interested in buying the hardware shop on the corner of Gate St (or was it Vane Street) when the owner talked about retiring. But my mum wouldn't let him. My uncle lived on Radford Bridge Road. The name was Stevenson - they had a son called Terrence (Stevenson) They also had a toddler girl called Linda. Then they moved to Wollaton Park. I remember Terrence had a friend (next door) called Annette.

By the way Old Rec, my Dad was interested in buying the hardware shop on the corner of Gate St (or was it Vane Street) when the owner talked about retiring. But my mum wouldn't let him. My uncle lived on Radford Bridge Road. The name was Stevenson - they had a son called Terrence (Stevenson) They also had a toddler girl called Linda. Then they moved to Wollaton Park. I remember Terrence had a friend (next door) called Annette.

Hi Bilbraborn,

The hardware shop was on Vane street, one down from the corner, more or less opposite the beer off. I don't think I knew that Terrence Stevenson but strangely enough I did go to secondary school (Forest Fields Grammar) with a Terry Stevenson, he was from somewhere over near Bobbers Mill though.

I wonder how many times I went in there with Dad. Must be still loads of the stuff he bought in the shed at top of the garden which I also inherited along with the house.

I remember walking up on the embankment near the railway on Radford Bridge Road. I saw the Swimming baths, the Ambulance station, the library and the corner building being built from the top of the bus over the years, taking me to see relatives in Radford. As a child of Radford Woodhouse ger would have played on that wasteland before they were built. I think there were allotments where they built the library on Beechdale Road.

Based on what Bilbraborn has said in the previous post, here's the area before Beechdale Baths, the Ambulance station, etc.

Crown Island is lower right; the ring-road going up the right; the dotted line is where Beechdale Road would be; the road across the top is Aspley Lane.

fMu4rmH.jpg

Yes I played on the field where Beechdale Baths is now, long grass great fun and we used to slide down the banking from western boulevard on any old bit if tin we could find. There were allotments where the Library was on the other side of Beechdale Road.

Well i would have read it oldrec? just got this?

Dear ***********@ntlworld.com

We're writing about the marketplace order you placed on 2016-04-27 with Book Depository. Unfortunately, Book Depository has not confirmed the dispatch of this order, and we are unable to provide you with dispatch details yet.

ORDER DETAILS

Order ID: 026-8676934-2947564
Merchant name: Book Depository
Item(s) to ship:
Name: What time is it on the moon?: The story of a happy childhood
Qty: 1 ASIN/ISBN: 1532789173

Because dispatch of this order has not yet been confirmed by the seller, your credit card has not been charged and we are not able to provide you with dispatch details.

If you would like to ask Book Depository for more information about the status of this order, including the expected dispatch date, you may contact the merchant directly by replying to this email message.

Thanks for shopping with us.

Amazon.co.uk Customer Service

#12 photo. Traffic from Western Boulevard going to Wollaton has to cross through traffic from Ilkeston Road going on to the boulevard. Can't see any traffic lights, so doesn't look very healthy. No sign of any traffic, but the road looks used.

Probably about 3 cars an hour back then, so everyone could cope at 'major' junctions.

Looking at the whole thing wider, it's just a few central reservations with keep left signs. And note the old-style sign post at the bottom of the photo.

crown%20island1_zps9xumogan.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:45 AM, oldrec said:

Hi Bilbraborn,

The hardware shop was on Vane street, one down from the corner, more or less opposite the beer off. I don't think I knew that Terrence Stevenson but strangely enough I did go to secondary school (Forest Fields Grammar) with a Terry Stevenson, he was from somewhere over near Bobbers Mill though.

The Terry Stevenson that went to FFGS (1967-72) lived at 2 Gladstone Street, next to the corner shop, we've been friends since we were 5 and I'll be seeing him at The Bell for a school reunion I'm arranging, pop along my fellow Forestian!

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2016 at 8:19 AM, oldrec said:

Hello all,

I have scribbled down the mostly happy story of my childhood growing up in and around Radford Bridge Road on Gate Street. It is now published on amazon.co.uk and is called "What time is it on the moon?" i would love to hear from anyone who remembers things the way I do.

oldrec

My maternal grandparents were both born on Gate Street Radford Woodhouse in 1887

• 2 years later...
On 4/24/2016 at 6:51 PM, Bilbraborn said:

Bit late to the party here (story of my life) but I remember the Stevensons. They were our next door neighbours on Radford Bridge Road in the early-mid 60s. Thanks for posting these threads. Great to read about all the places we roamed about in as kids....

• Like 1

Welcome BFG.  (Interesting name!).  I know very little about Radford but I'm sure many on here would appreciate reading some of your childhood memories of the place...

On the subject of Radford, does anybody at all remember the Y.M.C.A., on Grant St., Radford. It cornered onto Denton St. I know I've mentioned this area before but nobody appears to come from that area, circa 1957 ish. Folks come from the posher end of Denman St. It was run by Mr. Cyril Swift. Lovely snooker table, nice lounge and table tennis (2) upstairs along with a stage. Remember getting a slice of bread and cup of oxo for a penny. We used to do a bit of woodwork or basket weaving on what seemed to be bomb shelters, (not sure if right though). When clearance started, it moved to Willoughby St., but can't remember if it kept the same name, or if it joined forces with the Boys Brigade. B.